• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Opening Dates, 2020

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ski there, so I can try to answer for you. Like everywhere, it's a guess. Some years (like last year) it was fabulous -- opening day was a powder day -- though there's generally not a lot open. Mostly, the skiing is limited to some of the trails accessible from the Main Base. South Face, Solitude, and Jackson Gore take a while to open.
Thank you for taking time to answer. I normally haven't skied until Dec/Jan in the area. So thanks for this info. You know I never skied Jackson Gore. I wonder if it will be more friendly as a place to park, boot up, etc this year. I also wonder how they will be handling reservations re: the different areas? Hadn't thought about that till now!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
just got this email from Killington
The season is right around the corner, and we can’t wait for the Longest Season in the East to get started. Over a month ago we sent out our Winter Operations Plan and although we included a lot of detail, we still had some unanswered questions that we will address today. You will find high-level information below and we encourage you to click the links to our website for all the details.

Our continued goal is to ensure the wellbeing of all, and an important part of Operation Stay Safe is managing the number of people on property at any given time. Doing so will enable appropriate physical distancing so that you may stay safe and have a great, fun-filled Killington Resort experience.

Parking reservations are an important part of us ensuring all at the resort are able to appropriately physically distance. The parking reservation system will be in place every day of the season and parking spaces must be reserved before arriving to the resort to ensure availability. Starting Thursday, November 5, at 10:00 a.m. you can book up to seven advance days throughout the season. Once the season begins, you will also be able to book an unlimited number of days in the immediate rolling 7-day window. As your advance days fall into the rolling 7-day window, you can book additional advance days, only reserving up to seven at any given time. See more details and examples to better explain how it works here.

We will continue to ask guests to treat your car like a base lodge and, if you can, boot up at your car. After further consideration and feedback from you – our core guests – we understand that for some access to the lodge to put boots on in the morning is needed. We will allow guests to boot up in a lodge (if building capacity allows); however, bags cannot be left in the lodge and bag check will be moved to a new location that can be accessed at the end of the day from outside.

Although we announced our anticipated opening dates at Killington and Pico this date continues to be dependent on having top-to-bottom skiing and riding with access to multiple base area lifts. If Mother Nature does not allow us to achieve this, we will delay our opening date. From Opening Day through Sunday, November 22, access to the mountain will be reserved for Killington Season Passholders and Ikon guests only. Express Card Holders, day tickets, buddy passes, vouchers etc. will be accepted starting Monday, November 23, and will be on-sale beginning Friday, November 6. Per state of Vermont guidance, guests can travel to Vermont only from approved counties on the Vermont Travel map or need to quarantine for 14 days prior to their arrival. This travel map is updated on a weekly basis, every Tuesday and we expect this policy to be in place throughout the season.

For more information about what to expect this season, visit 20/21 Winter Operations. As a reminder, these plans are subject to change once the state of Vermont issues and approves ski resort restart guidance. We look forward to a great, fun-filled ski and ride season.

As I stated in my last update, while there is always a competition to open first, we believe winning this year means all of us doing our part to put into place thoughtful plans and follow guidelines and best practices to keep one another safe, so that we may enjoy a full season of skiing and riding. I trust our commitment to continuing our candid communication gives you confidence in our plans for the upcoming season. I know everyone is continuing to adapt in their own way and I wanted to make sure you know how we continue to adjust. 

If you still have questions we haven’t answered yet, please submit them here. 

I look forward to seeing you on the trails.

Mike Solimano
President & General Manager

marzNC

Angel Diva
Grand Targhee opening on Nov. 20, weather permitting per usual.

Jackson Hole opening on Thanksgiving, Nov. 26. Snow King plans on opening on Dec. 5.

GT is on MCP for the first time. JH is on Ikon and MCP. Snow King is on Indy for the first time.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Not surprisingly there have been a few changes to the opening dates for Ikon resorts. Here the list from the Ikon website as of Nov. 3. In general, weather conditions in Colorado haven't made snowmaking easy in the last few weeks. Although increasing cases of COVID-19 in Summit County may be another factor for Winter Park.

IKON OPENING DATES - last updated 03Nov2020

COLORADO
Nov 23: Eldora
Nov 26: Jackson Hole
Nov 26: Aspen Mountain
Nov 26: Snowmass
Nov 30: Copper
Pending (was Nov 18): Winter Park - may be Nov 30
Dec 12: Aspen Highlands
Dec 18: Buttermilk

WEST
Nov 14 (was Nov 4): Mammoth
Nov 25: Squaw/Alpine
Nov 26: Big Sky
Pending (was Nov 26): Taos
Dec 19: June Mountain

VERMONT
Nov 14: Killington
Nov 21: Sugarbush
Nov 25: Stratton
Dec 19: Pico

Nov 25: Snowshoe, WV

Opened on Oct 31: Norquay, ALB
Nov 20: Tremblant, QUE
Nov 27: Revelstoke, BC
Dec 12: RED Mountain, BC

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here are opening dates for November, as of Nov. 4. This list is not meant to be a comprehensive. It's based on Epic and Ikon locations, plus Colorado, and Utah.

Weather is turning out to be as much of a factor for early snowmaking as state and local rules and regulations related to COVID-19. In general, resorts are more likely to delay opening if not enough terrain can be open. One or two WRODs won't work with capacity limits and the need to spread people out as quickly as possible after they get their skis on.

NOVEMBER OPENING DATES
* Epic
** Ikon

Nov 4: Wolf Creek - begin 7-day operations, lifts were open Oct 31-01Nov
early Nov: Loveland - usually mid-Oct
mid-Nov: Arapahoe Basin - usually mid-Oct

Nov 6: *Keystone
Nov 13: *Breckenridge
**Nov 14: Mammoth - was Nov 4
**Nov 14: Killington, VT

Nov 20: *Vail
Nov. 20: Brian Head
**Nov. 20: Solitude
Nov 21: Purgatory
**Nov 21: Steamboat
**Nov. 21: Alta
**Nov 21: Sugarbush, VT
**Nov 23: Eldora

Nov 25: *Beaver Creek
Nov 25: *Crested Butte
**Nov 25: Squaw/Alpine
Nov. 25: *Snowbasin
**Nov 25: Stratton, VT
**Nov 25: Snowshoe, WV

Nov 26: *Whistler Blackcomb, BC, CANADA
**Nov 26: Big Sky
**Nov 26: Jackson Hole
**Nov 26: Aspen Mountain
**Nov 26: Snowmass
**Nov 30: Copper
**Pending: Winter Park - was Nov 18, no earlier than Nov 30

MissySki

Angel Diva
Sunday River hasn't set a date (and is STILL down with the ransomware attack) but presumably will be open in November assuming the warm up coming to New England doesn't ruin all of the progress made.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Keystone is holding to the idea of Nov. 6 being Opening Day. But might have to delay because of changes in Summit County COVID-19 rules due to recent increases in detected cases.

The Epic Reservation system opened a day later than planned because of delays getting state approval for the operating plan for Keystone and Breck. People could get reservations for Keystone for Nov. 6-13 starting at 10am MT on Nov. 5.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
There's a pretty good round up of what's going on with resort openings this year in Ski Area Management. You might want to check it out.

I know ski areas in the East have pushed their openings back. It's just been far too warm for snowmaking, and any snow that's fallen has quickly disappeared.

Last edited:

Christy

Angel Diva
Opening dates in the PNW are always just wild guesses because we rely a natural snow, but I think Crystal might make their estimated November 20 opening date. I think they've had 3' in the past couple days with much more on the way. Even the base got a lot.

Screenshot_20201113-081914_Chrome.jpg

MissySki

Angel Diva
Supposedly Sunday River “might” be able to open by next Friday or the weekend given the snow they have remaining and temps dropping this weekend again. However, it doesn’t seem like the other “early” openers will be in the same boat yet. So I’m not sure if they would open as the only in the East and risk a crowd? Also unsure about their Ransomware status since they’ve been radio silent on everything. So overall not super helpful haha, but it seems we should expect an opening in the next 1-2 weeks depending on whether they would coordinate waiting for others to open as well or not, and the computers..

marzNC

Angel Diva
This year there are two reasons that opening dates in November are shifting, but both are really due to weather. A few lucky resorts are actually opening a few days earlier than previously announced after early season snowstorms. Some resorts are having to delay openings because it's been too warm for good snowmaking in the last few weeks. However, the delays are longer than usual because destination resorts want to make sure there more open terrain than usual on Opening Day, if at all possible. Ideally off more than one lift.

Wolf Creek, Loveland, and Arapahoe Basin opened in the past week for 7-day operations. Only Wolf got in a little skiing in October, but that was purely a function of the weather in October and unrelated to COVID-19.

Breck and Mammoth opened today. Breck using the Epic Reservation system for Week Of reservations during early season. Mammoth is not requiring lift access reservations for Ikon holders.

Killington is waiting for Mother Nature to cooperate. As of Nov. 13, there is a section called Opening Day on the Killington Winter Ops webpage.

"Originally slated for Saturday, November 14 (weather and terrain permitting), Opening Day will be pushed back. With warmer than average temperatures, our snowmakers had to take a hiatus. At this time, it’s hard to anticipate when Opening Day will be because unlike past years, we need top-to-bottom terrain with access to multiple base lifts before we can spin lifts for snowcially distanced skiing and riding. The team is monitoring the extended forecast with plans to make snow whenever temps allow."

NOVEMBER OPENING DATES FOR USA
* Epic
** Ikon

Nov 6: *Keystone
Nov 13: *Breckenridge
**Nov 13: Mammoth - was Nov 4, then Nov 14
**TBD: Killington, VT - was Nov 14

Nov 20: *Vail
Nov 20: *Stowe
Nov. 20: Brian Head
Nov. 20: Grand Targhee (first year MCP)
**Nov. 20: Solitude
Nov 21: Purgatory
**Nov 21: Steamboat
**Nov. 21: Alta
**Nov 21: Sugarbush, VT
**Nov 23: Eldora
**Nov 23: Jackson Hole - was Nov 26

Nov 25: *Beaver Creek
Nov 25: *Crested Butte
**Nov 25: Squaw/Alpine
Nov. 25: *Snowbasin
**Nov 25: Stratton, VT
**Nov 25: Snowshoe, WV

Nov 26: *Whistler Blackcomb, BC, CANADA
**Nov 26: Big Sky
**Nov 26: Aspen Mountain
**Nov 26: Snowmass
*Nov 26: Sun Valley - Epic Partner
**Nov 26: Taos
Nov 26: Ski Santa Fe
Nov 27: Mount Baker
Nov 27: Schweitzer
Nov 28: Mount Hood Meadows
**Nov 30: Copper
**Pending: Winter Park - was Nov 18, no earlier than Nov 30

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
NM Governor just ordered Stay-at-home beginning Monday for 2 weeks. I guess that means TSV will not be opening on Thanksgiving 11/26.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Here's the detail:
OUTDOOR RECREATIONAL FACILITIES:
Outdoor recreational facilities – such as outdoor golf courses, public swimming pools, outdoor tennis courts, ski basins, youth programs, youth livestock shows, u-pick produce operations and corn mazes, horse racing tracks, botanical gardens, outdoor zoos, and New Mexico state parks – will close for through Nov. 30 for the duration of the public health order.

Look on the bright side -- maybe this will let them get a handle on the situation, so that things can be loosened up in December.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Mt Baker was supposed to get 8 inches last night. They got 30. They are looking at opening next week. Fingers crossed COVID cases don't prevent that.

Wow, that’s a huge upgrade from the forecast!! Will you go if they’re able to open?

Christy

Angel Diva
Wow, that’s a huge upgrade from the forecast!! Will you go if they’re able to open?

I won't, I am going to avoid any opening week craziness anywhere, and Baker is kind of far from Seattle for a day trip anyway (2:45). College students at Western Washington University in Bellingham are Baker's main clientele, and they have a really high percentage of snowboarders, so it's not a crowd I love in any case.

Although, and I hadn't thought of this--I wonder if a lot of students aren't even in B'ham right now.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I won't, I am going to avoid any opening week craziness anywhere, and Baker is kind of far from Seattle for a day trip anyway (2:45). College students at Western Washington University in Bellingham are Baker's main clientele, and they have a really high percentage of snowboarders, so it's not a crowd I love in any case.

Although, and I hadn't thought of this--I wonder if a lot of students aren't even in B'ham right now.

That could be nice for this season if they are remote etc. for the year! Agreed that opening week is probably better to avoid though. Might be beneficial later in the season, and always great to see the base getting built early!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna