• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

newboots

Angel Diva
Not that this is so important - but in the opening ceremonies Team USA is wearing those big Astis mittens. They look wonderful!

Kim Jung Un's sister is sitting behind VP Pence. She looked very severe as Team USA marched in, while the Pence family was applauding enthusiastically.

Jilly

Staff member
I noticed those mittens. Who designed the sweaters...? I sort of love/hate our Canadian outfits. I loved the Roots designed stuff. Hudson Bay Co, has mass produced the Canadian wear, and I'm not sure I like it.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Ralph Lauren - I read an article that basically liked the winter uniforms he does, but said that the summer ones always look like he thinks the athletes are at a country club mixer.

And I think the gloves are just him ripping off Astis, too.

newboots

Angel Diva
Oh, no, not real Astis? That's cr*p.

newboots

Angel Diva
Ouch! Those chartreuse hats/scarves on the Hungarian team hurt my eyes.

Christy

Angel Diva
I think Astis mittens look silly, but I love the Canadian mittens. Those maple leaf mitts were THE souvenir at the Vancouver games and I still treasure mine. Otherwise I like the US outfits for a change--so often I've wondered what Ralph was thinking, but this year he did okay.

The drone thingy was really cool. ( I can't believe I just said drone and cool in the same sentence).

I just read about the Indian athlete in the New York Times. He faces a ton of challenges and has basically no support from anyone in India (when he asked the government for some financial support they made him obtain a certificate stating that the Winter Olympics were as legit as the summer Olympics-- it sounded like they didn't even understand the Winter Olympics were a thing), but he manages to do it anyway.

Jilly

Staff member
Christy - they are out every year now. They change up the stripes and added black this year. Somewhere I have a cap from Roots from the one of the games in the 90's. They were the poor boy news cap style.

I do like the buffalo check on the ski/snow cross team.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Glove controversy aside, two of my favorite things so far have been: The Finnish Snowboarding coach knitting at the starting gate (apparently he did it last Olympics too- knitted 1/2 a scarf during the games and then gave it to another coach of some other sport for the summer Olympics to finish), and the USA snowboarding coach at the starting gate who was wearing an astronaut helmet.

Finnish Snowboard Coach knitting at Sochi

Apparently the astronaut helmet has to do with a theme!

Also, the Canadian snowboarding jackets are my favorite.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So far my favorite thing was a tweet that now I can't find. But it was something like

Bermuda: Why yes, we're wearing shorts for the frigid Opening Ceremonies.

Tonga: Hold my beer.

DVmywnUU8AAIyEj.jpg

DVl_LnaXcAAKerh.jpg

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
According to @nopoleskier , the gloves were made in NY, not far from where she lives. So not Astis.

According to the report I posted, RL talked to Astis for 2 years about their mittens, leading them to believe they were going to contract. But they just copied. C'est la vie, but still.

newboots

Angel Diva
That was such a cheap move on RL’s part. Here they had a chance to showcase a small, made-in-America business. I guess it will be a big plus for Astis, though.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
According to @nopoleskier , the gloves were made in NY, not far from where she lives. So not Astis.

YES! A friend of mine Peter Kiernan his small company designed them in Gloversville NY! closest town to me and my post office address! Pretty cool! Gloversville was once the leather capital of the world. The Leather came from Gloversville, the gloves were made in Ma..

https://dailygazette.com/article/20...eather-for-olympic-athletes-ceremonial-gloves

We still have Swany and some mills that make designer leather for jets, sneakers and more!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga