• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Older Skiers!

C

CMCM

I rode up the lift the other day with an 80 year old man from Austria. He said he hadn't missed a ski season in 72 years! And what a good skier he was, too! You'd never know he was 80! Then later I met a German couple skiing together, both in their late 70's, and both top notch skiers. I noticed they were still on the pre-shaped skis, probably from the late 90's or so. I feel like a young thing around these folks, who are very inspiring.

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There's an instructor at Whistler who is in his 80's, and I'm sure there are more around the globe.

My dad is still skiing at 76(ish??) but he admits he's going slower and more carefully now. I too want to ski well into my 70's/80's that's why I'm working so hard on my style and technique now ... I need it to be effortless then.

I have huge admiration for all those who are still skiing in their later years, and I think they should get free passes - after all, they've been funding the sport for the past 40/50/60+ years.

Jilly

Staff member
At Tremblant there is quite a few "older" skiers. They ski mid week only, so no crowds. You might see them on the weekend if the "kids" are in town. Its great to see them out. They may take 5 runs but they are out there. 2 seasons ago I skied with a lady that is well into her 80's. Her son is an instructor at Tremblant. She is my inspiration. She even leads trip to Europe. Tremblant also treats their seniors well. Over 75 - $199 for a season pass. 65+ is $499. The first week of December is the master's races. Friday the place will be full of fit seniors (who also like to party!).

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At Copper, they have the "Over the Hill Gang" which is a year round networking group. Amazing people. They ski Copper as a group twice a week.

I have always said that I would love to jion them when I'm in my 60s (I thought that was the "joining" age)

Nope...45yo. You read that correctly. You only have to be 45yo to join the Over the Hill Gang.
:spit:

What?!? I am 43yo and there is no way I am joining when I'm 45!!:laughter:
https://www.copperohg.com/

Rossi

Certified Ski Diva
Few years back rode the lift with a women near 80,her face was all bruised, she told me she fell on her steps earlier in the morning shoveling, said her kids didn't want her to ski but it was such a nice day she didn't want to miss it. I was amazed and wondering if I would be able to ski when I am that old because right now it seems tough just carrying all that equipment through the parking lot. Seeing someone older ski is such a inspiration.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
ry%3D400

From a section of Lower Narrow Gauge at Sugarloaf (Maine):
"Paul Schipper, the Ironman of Skiing, skied every day Sugarloaf was open from 1980 through January 3, 2005, for a total of 3,903 consecutive days. It is the longest known continuous streak of its kind in skiing."

Schipper, a retired pilot, began this quest at around age 60, so he was 85 when health and failing vision ended his amazing streak. He was even granted a special reserved parking lot next to the main HSQ in order to continue his journey.

Snowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Paul Schipper was my hero when I lived in Maine. In fact, I think he's still my hero!

I have a good friend who learned to ski year before last at age 68. Last year at age 69 my husband and I gave him bump lessons. He's one of the most amazing natural athletes I know, and I have trouble keeping up with him!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Indeed. Paul Schipper is a name to remember at Sugarloaf.
But here's Henry, photo taken with him last May 1st after we skied together. 89 years young (already posted in a TR then, sorry to those who have already seen).

Hope he's out there again this year.....

ry%3D400

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I rode the lift last year with a 70-something instructor at Stowe. He was telling me all about how the original trails were cut, how he used to take a 12+ hr overnight bus ride from Columbia University to ski weekends at Stowe when he was in college (before interstates), etc etc etc. It was probably my favorite lift ride ever and I totally wanted to hang out with him for the rest of the day.

Paul Schipper -- crazy. I think I'll add that to my lifetime goal list: Have a reserved space at my local hill when I'm too old to carry my skis through an icy parking lot, but am still ripping it up on the mountain, anyways.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Paul Schipper -- crazy. I think I'll add that to my lifetime goal list: Have a reserved space at my local hill when I'm too old to carry my skis through an icy parking lot, but am still ripping it up on the mountain, anyways.
I noted last May 1 that when ski patrol helped Henry load up his equipment, it got taken to a vehicle in Paul Schipper's former daily reserved spot (Schipper had to stop skiing due to vision issues, though his official "streak" ended due to a serious case of the flu). Indeed, anyone at that age still skiing deserves The Red Carpet.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
There's a guy I've seen skiing Okemo who's 90-plus. Can you imagine???

We should all be so fortunate.

Snowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Those pictures of Sugarloaf are making me homesick!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I skied this past week at Mammoth with several gentlemen in their 80s. They ski for free and all the ones I met up with skied quite well.

One of them told me he had 2 new knees this season and his wife had 2 new knees, 2 new hips, and 2 new rotator cuffs (not all at the same time!). And she still skis!

Dave McCoy, who founded Mammoth, also got 2 new knees this past summer. He had been skiing up to about 5 years ago, when he was 88. Do the math, he is now 93 and hopes to ski the mountain he created when the snow gets really good later in the season.

All these people are my heroes (and heroines!). I'm in my mid-50s so I still have a ways to go, and I hope I can still make it out there at 80+. :clap:

The snow at Mammoth is quite good already, BTW, and they have the most lift-serviced skiable terrain in the country currently open. Check out www.mammothmountain.com if you're interested. :snow:

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There's a guy I've seen skiing Okemo who's 90-plus. Can you imagine???

We should all be so fortunate.

I think this same 90 year old raced in our innkeepers races as well.

In our women's program we have several women in their 70's who come year after year.

We have an instructor as well that I believe is 80.His name tag says "Senior Moment"

Their are some other older instructors as well! Hope I am able to do the same!

T

Ski Fanatic Mom

Certified Ski Diva
Over the hill

Two years ago while working at my local mountain, my R-1 pointed out an elderly gent on a snowboard!!!! He then told me the gentleman was celebrating his 80th birthday AND it was his first time on a snowboard!!!! He also did a great job on it! I was truly inspired by him!

However, I do not consider 45 to be over the hill!!!!:nono:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Those pictures of Sugarloaf are making me homesick!
I'll give it a hug for you when I get there (if it ever gets COLD this year! :mad:smile: -- :grouphug:
Ah, the brutal mountain (for weather alone) that asks, "How tough are YOU?" Remember the wind chill?? :eek: Dark slopes at 1 p.m. in January? Sounds like you are in a GOOD place now, though!

And.....age 45 for over the hill???? :eek::eek::eek:
Will also add.......:ROTF:
Man, the groups around here seem to average 70-75! (But I think 50 is the minimum age.)

Snowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yup, I remember that dark and cold...that's why I'm in sunny Southern Colorado! I do still have my Loaf sticker on my car though!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga