• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Older beginner questioning used gear decision

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I went to Ski Cellar today and got properly fitted. Lots of great advice that echoed much of what you Divas shared already. They recommended Atomic Hawx Prime 85 in 23.5 and they felt great. However, I’m not sure I’m prepared to pay $400 for them. Gotta mull that over a bit.

If $400 is the actual price and you know which model you want, they are available for 50 or more dollars less online. I just googled it and saw 349 and lower although it might not be exactly the same model. Check it out!

Edit: if the 2021 model fits … https://www.evo.com/outlet/alpine-s...6-jgLKer-4BHi_Qd4q074_X9fd2Erb7xoCECIQAvD_BwE

Jilly

Staff member
I'm in that boot too. Except the 100 flex and 24.5. Lots can be done to make that boot work if need be. Also mine are on their 6th season this year. I ski at least 40 days a year. And they will need to be replaced next season. But I want to see my fitter before I order anything. And he's in Whistler for the winter.

New old stock from an actual ski shop in Toronto. But they are 90 flex...

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good find! Not a lot of difference between 85 and 90 flex, and they can be softened if needed. I've bought from them when I lived in Canada. Shipping is fast, and it looks like now it is free. Back when I bought boots for DD they charged for the shipping, and no free local pick ups either.

Jilly

Staff member
It's actually Corbett's. I remember when they were a little ski shop in Guelph.

WobblyKnees

Certified Ski Diva
If you think they won't need tweak, or would be willing to pay the fitter at Ski Cellar if needed- here you go

Yeah, will check these out. And will give Ski Cellar all my servicing business.

WobblyKnees

Certified Ski Diva
Hmmm. The Tecnica ones feel pretty darn good too. Can definitely feel that they have less flex than the Atomics but they’re a contender. Thoughts?

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmmm. The Tecnica ones feel pretty darn good too. Can definitely feel that they have less flex than the Atomics but they’re a contender. Thoughts?
Any boot feeling "pretty darn good" makes me worry that you are choosing boots for comfort, not for performance, and that you don't know how a bootfitter (a good one) can make a genuinely snug boot feel just fine for all-day skiing with absolutely no pain.
So barefoot sitting down, I’m 22.5cm long and 9cm wide (widest point). Standing up, I’m 23.5cm and 9.5cm. I totally get that ski boots should be snug but should one factor in feet swelling upon exercise? I just know that my feet are miserable in hockey/rec skates if they are tied too tight (but then skates aren’t necessarily comfortable at the best of times ha ha).
And what you say above confirms that you are looking for a loose fit that feels comfortable.

Unfortunately, this is a mistake. The boots will feel fine in the shop and the first day or so skiing. After that your skis will wobble more than your knees. You may not realize why they wobble. But it will be because of the boots being too loose. If the foot moves around inside the boot, even a tiny bit, that movement translates into ski wobble. The length of the skis exaggerates the amount of wobbly far beyond the tiny movement of the foot.

Maybe you've become used to wobbly skis because your rental boots have always been too loose. And maybe you think it's your newness to skiing that is causing the wobbliness, not the gear. It's more often than not due to poor boot fit.

There's no way you can know what a good fit is unless you have a bootfitter, who you trust, who is willing to try to convince you that a larger size is not required because of swelling feet. And that the boot needs to feel unbelievably snuu-uug on your feet in the shop. And that the boot size needs to be determined by your smaller foot, not your larger foot.

In the end, if you buy boots too big (height, width, and/or length), and you continue to ski, and you continue to find your skis wobbling, you may decide to buy yet another pair of boots that are more snug in order to get those pesky skis to behave. Then you will have bought two pair of boots at those seemingly ridiculous prices, instead of just one pair.

Ask me how I know :smile: .

WobblyKnees

Certified Ski Diva
Any boot feeling "pretty darn good" makes me worry that you are choosing boots for comfort, not for performance, and that you don't know how a bootfitter (a good one) can make a genuinely snug boot feel just fine for all-day skiing with absolutely no pain.

And what you say above confirms that you are looking for a loose fit that feels comfortable.

Unfortunately, this is a mistake. The boots will feel fine in the shop and the first day or so skiing. After that your skis will wobble more than your knees. You may not realize why they wobble. But it will be because of the boots being too loose. If the foot moves around inside the boot, even a tiny bit, that movement translates into ski wobble. The length of the skis exaggerates the amount of wobbly far beyond the tiny movement of the foot.

Maybe you've become used to wobbly skis because your rental boots have always been too loose. And maybe you think it's your newness to skiing that is causing the wobbliness, not the gear. It's more often than not due to poor boot fit.

There's no way you can know what a good fit is unless you have a bootfitter, who you trust, who is willing to try to convince you that a larger size is not required because of swelling feet. And that the boot needs to feel unbelievably snuu-uug on your feet in the shop. And that the boot size needs to be determined by your smaller foot, not your larger foot.

In the end, if you buy boots too big (height, width, and/or length), and you continue to ski, and you continue to find your skis wobbling, you may decide to buy yet another pair of boots that are more snug in order to get those pesky skis to behave. Then you will have bought two pair of boots at those seemingly ridiculous prices, instead of just one pair.

Ask me how I know :smile:

Ask me how I know :smile: .
Maybe “pretty darn good” was overselling it. Ha ha. They are still very snug and definitely no wiggle room. So not comfortable by any means.

WobblyKnees

Certified Ski Diva
Work has been crazy but I wanted to provide an update since you have all been so generous with your knowledge and time! I ended up going with the Tecnica boots (got confirmation from the bootfitter that the fit is right), got the liners heat molded today, and the Cloud 7s are in the shop for the binding adjustment so all good on the gear. Next up is getting into a private lesson for a quick refresher and shaking off the cobwebs. Will likely have lots of additional questions as I discover whether the muscle memory will kick in or not after all these years, so welcome any and all additional advice as I find my legs!

WobblyKnees

Certified Ski Diva
Success! Had my two-hour private lesson today and the muscle memory did kick in! Pizza and French Fries, no problem. Parallel turns, got there pretty quickly. Hockey stops, good (at least in one direction anyway). Was surprised that it felt more natural with a little bit of speed vs when we were taking it slow, and I was good with going on the lift at the end for a full run (albeit with a few stops along the way due to the jello legs at the end). All in all, got what I needed out of it. Balls of my feet were quite numb throughout though and my right calf still feels really tight, so I suspect I had at least that top buckle too tight. Otherwise, feeling good and seems like I’m less hesitant now than when I was last skiing eons ago! Now just anticipating the major muscle soreness. Ha ha.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga