• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Older beginner questioning used gear decision

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Stand on a piece of paper and trace your feet. Measure that in cm. That is most often the size boot you should be looking at.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It sounds like based solely (heh) on shoe size you may be fine in a 23.5 with the correct volume, but measuring both the length and instep of your foot will help you get a better idea. I wear anything between a 6.5-8 in street shoes and my boots are 23.5. I thought I was ok in a 24.5 but actually once the liner packed out, they were too big.

WobblyKnees

Certified Ski Diva
So barefoot sitting down, I’m 22.5cm long and 9cm wide (widest point). Standing up, I’m 23.5cm and 9.5cm. I totally get that ski boots should be snug but should one factor in feet swelling upon exercise? I just know that my feet are miserable in hockey/rec skates if they are tied too tight (but then skates aren’t necessarily comfortable at the best of times ha ha).

Jilly

Staff member
Googling ski shops in Calgary, this looks interesting.

They might sell off some of their rentals from last year. Worth asking about.

Jilly

Staff member
I don't like the box stores for boot fitting, but I'm starting to have a different opinion on Sporting Life. So that's worth looking at too. If you were in Ontario I know exactly who to send you too.

Boots are the most important piece of equipment. If you're feet aren't happy, you're not skiing. It's worth finding a good boot fitter and trusting them. A lot of the box stores - Sport Chek hire sales staff. The first question they will ask is what is your shoe size. NO, they should look at your foot, measure your foot not just for length, but other aspects and look at your ankles. Some of us ladies have Cankles...calves and ankles together. Yet we have narrow heels. Things can be done to a boot to fit, but it's best to start out with something close.

If you had the budget...Monod's in Banff, but $$$.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
@WobblyKnees … the unweighted foot is the right dimension… you can get (to start?) an insole (I have superfeet hot pink) that will prevent the splay. That extra cm you’re getting will be movement in your boot as you shift your feet, which will decrease your body’s ability to direct your ski.

Check out the ”bootorials” series by Patriot Footbeds on YouTube… I find the series to be fun/funny/educational. It really helped me understand what my foot needed better. Then go see a bootfitter so you can be a good advocate for yourself.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, and if you do go to a bootfitter or ski shop to try on boots, it's a good idea to toss your skis in your car. That way if you find a boot that works for you, you can have them adjust the bindings while you are there and be ready for the slopes.

WobblyKnees

Certified Ski Diva
Tried the Salomons on again and while not much wiggle room at the toes, there definitely is heel lifting when buckled in tight so definitely back to starting again (and not rushing it this time).

WobblyKnees

Certified Ski Diva
Hmmm. Worth checking out?
“Brand New Women’s Technica Mach1 MV 95 ski boots. Size 23.5. Purchased and wore once. Unfortunately they are the wrong size and fit for me. Come with new super feet insoles. Boots have not been moulded or punched out. Purchased boots for $500 and $50 for insoles. Asking $275 obo.”

Pickup in Ranchlands or Downtown Eau Claire

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The size and flex sound good. Whether or not you decide to go try them on, I would still suggest going to Outlaw Sports or another shop with bootfitting services and seeing what they have in your size. If you're lucky they'll have some some new old stock at lower prices that are a good fit for your feet. The up side of going there is that if you buy from them, any needed tweaks will be included in the price. If you buy boots elsewhere and then decide some tweaks might be needed, it will be an extra expense.

Jilly

Staff member
This boot has a 100mm last. So you measured your foot at 9cm or 90mm. These might work. MV stands for mid volume. This is so sort like, how thick are your feet, or how high is your arch.

That's why boot fitters are priceless.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My feet shrink during a day of skiing. My ski boots work like compression socks. Any swelling, if it happens, will be above the boots. I end up tightening the boots as the day moves on.
Omg. Is that what happens?? My feet DO get smaller? I always have to tighten my ski boots during the entire day and by the afternoon they feel as comfy as slippers. I just thought it was some weird quirk of my zipfits or something.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
“Brand New Women’s Technica Mach1 MV 95 ski boots. Size 23.5. Purchased and wore once. Unfortunately they are the wrong size and fit for me. Come with new super feet insoles. Boots have not been moulded or punched out. Purchased boots for $500 and $50 for insoles. Asking $275 obo.”

Pickup in Ranchlands or Downtown Eau Claire

At 23.5 those MV (medium volume) boots will have a 92mm last, so quite similar to your foot width as you've measured it. Those should be a big improvement, fit-wise, on the Salomons you currently have. Are you able to try them on?

Seconding @diymom suggestion of going to an actual bootfitter just to check out what they have and get some real opinions about the size of your feet (and hopefully they might have some suitable older stock). Bootfitters normally give you free tweaks and modifications for at least a year if you buy the boots from them, to make sure you're fully happy with the boots after skiing in them for a while, in case any issues or pressure points emerge.

Jilly

Staff member
It's a term the boss at the ski shop came up with. We have good farm girl stock around these parts.

WobblyKnees

Certified Ski Diva
So I went to Ski Cellar today and got properly fitted. Lots of great advice that echoed much of what you Divas shared already. They recommended Atomic Hawx Prime 85 in 23.5 and they felt great. However, I’m not sure I’m prepared to pay $400 for them. Gotta mull that over a bit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga