• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Oh NO. Ski trip this weekend and I'm SICK!

Acadia07

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't believe this! I haven't caught a cold in a year and a half. And now, NOW? When I have a ski trip planned that I need to be in tip-top condition for? I've been looking forward to this trip for months. I get to ski with my brother again (who is really good - I need to feel good so I can kick his butt)! AND I get to try my new skis! Aaack.

It's just a cold, and it just hit me today, but I feel pretty bad already. And I know it'll get worse before it gets better. I'm hoping to sleep as much as I can and keep up on my vitamins and kill this bug, stat! But I have this feeling that I won't be 100% by Sunday, and it makes me sad. :(

Any cold-killing remedies I should know about? I'll try anything, seriously. :p

Sorry for the vent - but I know only the Divas would understand the peril of this predicament!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I feel your pain. I have a dreadful cold right now, too.

But it's only Tuesday. Chances are you'll feel some better by Sunday.

Drink plenty of OJ and hot tea. Have chicken soup. Rest.

Some people say echinacea works, but it doesn't do anything for me. You could give it a try, though.

From one cold sufferer to another: Feel better!

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I can totally relate. A few years ago I came down with a nasty cold at the beginning of a ski trip out west. If I recall, I dosed up on aspirin or something and went out and skied - perhaps the cold air helped as I didn't feel too bad. But once in from skiing, I pretty much collapsed until the next day.

It may be all in my head, but I've sometimes thought that vitamin C has warded off a cold in the early stages.

Anyway, here's hoping you get better in time for the trip.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lots of rest and fluid, definitely. I'm a big fan of Emergen-C. And if it's in your sinuses at all, get a neti pot! It works wonders!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Take care of yourself and with any luck, you'll be in good shape to hand your brother his @ss :smile:

Acadia07

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Take care of yourself and with any luck, you'll be in good shape to hand your brother his @ss :smile:

LOL :clap:

SD - you feel better, too!

itri - what's a neti-pot? I must try this.

I will also be grabbing some extra C and some orajel. Sweet. Thanks ladies!

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know, it looks crazy and weird, but I swear by it. I've only had mine a couple of months, but I'm pretty sure it's fended off two potential sinus infections so far!

Monkeygirl

Certified Ski Diva
Neti pot twice a day (or a water pic with nasal irrigator), Emergen-C (at least 2 per day) Cold Snap and gargle with apple cider vinegar and honey. Good luck.

skidoc120

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Any cold-killing remedies I should know about? I'll try anything, seriously. :p

OK, you asked the wrong gal. Ski expert, I'm not, but dodging colds, I'm a pro! Used to get sick a lot as a kid, so I had to become an expert.

1. First off, research shows, if you attack a cold IMMEDIATELY with zinc, it lessens the symptoms, so get some, ASAP. You can even get some at the drug store that's on q-tips that you put up your nose! (Help me out here, what's that stuff called?)

2. Sleep is of the utmost importance. Take something (like Benadryl, an antihistamine that's sedating) to get 8 hrs. of Z's.

3. I don't know why, but if I take 4 Advil along with the Benadryl, I often wake up the next morning with the cold gone.

4. If it does go into your sinuses, the neti pot is great, but put in a few drops of tea tree oil. (Also called melaleuca oil, from Australia) It has natural disinfectant properties, again backed up by research, and will wash the germs right out of your sinuses if you snort some up there.

Sorry for the vent - but I know only the Divas would understand the peril of this predicament!

Only too well. The one time in my life I got to go ski the Alps, I got roaring sick the night before we were to go. This was the first Christmas I had ever spent away from my family, and I wasn't about to miss the ski portion of the trip! We tried everything, to no avail. Finally my boyfriend had some friends in the suburbs who hooked me up with a French cold remedy called "Grog." Turns out it was hot rum, honey and lemon, and I drank the whole dang mug. It knocked me OUT, and the next morning at 6am I was up and running without so much as a sniffle. Take it for what it's worth! Hope any of this is helpful.

"Skidoc" :bounce: (I am not a doctor, but I play one on television.) :bounce:

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK, not to make light of your problem, because I've been there and it sucks.

But, it could be worse. Consider the group of people I went on a trip with last year to Summit County. We stayed in two seperate condos and EVERY single person in Condo #2 came down with an incredibly nasty viral or baceterial infection that caused them to be unable to leave the condo for the entire trip. It wasn't pretty. Eight folks sharing two bathrooms and all of them unable to even make it to the mountain except for the first day or so before the sickness struck. One of my friends in that condo lost ~15 pounds during the trip!

So, at least it's only a cold right? :smile: Feel better!!

MemilyG

Certified Ski Diva
Sleep sleep sleep from now and then!

It sounds ridiculous, but I feel like actually being out on the slopes and getting the exercise + endorphins, tends to knock out any developing sicknesses I am beginning to have.

Sending good vibes your way...

Acadia07

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK, you asked the wrong gal. Ski expert, I'm not, but dodging colds, I'm a pro! Used to get sick a lot as a kid, so I had to become an expert.

1. First off, research shows, if you attack a cold IMMEDIATELY with zinc, it lessens the symptoms, so get some, ASAP. You can even get some at the drug store that's on q-tips that you put up your nose! (Help me out here, what's that stuff called?)

2. Sleep is of the utmost importance. Take something (like Benadryl, an antihistamine that's sedating) to get 8 hrs. of Z's.

3. I don't know why, but if I take 4 Advil along with the Benadryl, I often wake up the next morning with the cold gone.

4. If it does go into your sinuses, the neti pot is great, but put in a few drops of tea tree oil. (Also called melaleuca oil, from Australia) It has natural disinfectant properties, again backed up by research, and will wash the germs right out of your sinuses if you snort some up there.

Finally my boyfriend had some friends in the suburbs who hooked me up with a French cold remedy called "Grog." Turns out it was hot rum, honey and lemon, and I drank the whole dang mug. It knocked me OUT, and the next morning at 6am I was up and running without so much as a sniffle. Take it for what it's worth! Hope any of this is helpful.

"Skidoc" :bounce: (I am not a doctor, but I play one on television.) :bounce:

skidoc, you rock my socks off.

I have been using the Zicam nasal swabs right from the get-go, and I really think it's helping. Congestion has been minimal - but these sinus headaches are killing me. I'm prone to headaches, though, and I get migraines to boot...so I'm dealing.

Do you know if I can get a neti pot at a regular pharmacy?

And as far as the "Grog", I think I'll save that as a last resort! It actually sounds kind of yummy, though. :eyebrows:

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't know if you'll find an actual neti pot at the pharmacy, although you will definitely be able to find similar nasal irrigation things. I got my neti pot at Whole Foods, they had a couple of different ones, but in true diva style, I picked the prettiest. :wink:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna