• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Off the bike for 10-14 days

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I finally had a 'real' bike accident and I'm now off the bike for 10-14 days - until my stitches come out. :mad:

We rode 7.5 miles at Edwards Creek and I did a bunch of the stunts I've been too afraid to try...I even floated my first awesome jump - about 3 feet high and 10 feet long with a perfect landing. I was stoked!!:cool:

Then we went to a new trail to check that out. Less than a mile in, I stalled on a really short but very steep hill and had to slide down backwards. When I got to the bottom, I tipped over because my right foot was stuck in the clip (Hubby bought me brand new pedals and I'd been having issues with clipping in and out all day). However, my calf must have been caught in the big chainring without me noticing because when I finally managed to yank my shoe free, I filleted the inside of my calf :eek: . Thank God I had a first aid kit in my Camel! It wasn't bleeding much and I saw only fat and no muscle or bone, so we butterflied the part of the skin flap that we could and covered the rest with a big gauze pad and taped everything back together. We had to hike back through the woods about a 1/4 mile to get to the road, then hubby went for the van. I was totally calm about the whole thing, but hubby and the girls at the ER admitting desk just freaked. I think every nurse working in ER had to come see it (5 in total). So, 27 stitches later, I'm sitting at home doing this instead of working :rolleyes: .

Here's the link to the pic. BEWARE!! VERY GRAPHIC!! Do NOT view if you're squeemish!!!
https://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5352328

altagirl

Staff member
Wow - that's a good one! I sliced the back of my ankle open with one of the pins on my flat pedals. I should've gotten a "before" pic, but have a good one of the mess of 20 some stitches it took to close it up... but it's on my other computer.

Hope you heal up fast. That looks like it hurts!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And you want me to go riding with you??????:confused:
You're dangerous:eek:

Seriously, I hope you heal well. I'm sure you will!

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The guy in me wants to say awesome gash! Then the chick in me kicks in, and I wanna say heal up quick and well. How's it feeling?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I have to admit, I did not look at the picture (I'm sort of squeamish; don't tell). But from everyone's reactions, it must be pretty bad.

Sorry you got hurt, though I know that won't slow you down! :D

Fast healing!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hubby got the pic on the camera phone right in ER. Just imagine getting up from the ground, looking down, and seeing THAT!

Actually, it is strangely painless. We did the 24 hr inspect and clean yesterday and it's starting to bruise, but I've managed to keep all the swelling in check. The ER's biggest fear besides infection (they even put me on IV antibiotics) was having it swell and pull on the stitches or even pull them out. So I've spent 2 days elevated, iced, and Motrined. Do you know how hard it is to just sleep, watch tv, and read for 2 whole days?????

The very worst part of this whole thing is I'll be baby-sitting the hot dogs instead of riding at my own birthday bash/picnic/bike ride on Saturday. Arghhhh!!!!!!!

Here's some "after" pics too (no where near as bad!):
https://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5361998
https://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5361997

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After seeing the second pic, I wanna make a "size DOES matter" joke, but I just don't have the energy for a good one at the moment. Snowhot, wanna tag in for that one?

That sucks so much that you're gonna miss the action at your birthday party. Heal fast, and force everyone to show up for a birthday ride redo! They'll probably welcome the excuse to get out and ride, and maybe you'll get extra presents ;)

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Kris, didja happen to catch the Tyra banks show yesterday?
She had a "leg model contest" There was an actual leg model on the show who has her legs insured for $30million!:eek:
Imagine if you had that insurance on your legs? You could be a multi millionaire right now!!!!!

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Best wishes for speedy recovery volklgirl! Although, I don't get the impression this is slowing you down too much, you tough one, you!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
2 years ago when I was trying to decide on what tattoos to get, we tossed around the idea of a chainring on my calf (since I always end up with that big greasy chainring print anyway :o ). Now our youngest son wants to know if I'm going to turn the scar into just such a tatt. :rolleyes: :D

I'm kinda scared to look at it today....I can see where the bruising is starting just under the gauze wrap. I may have a Technicolor leg by tomorrow when I return to work. Geez, what a way to spend my birthday. :mad:

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I screamed when I looked at that first picture. Heal well. Bike later.

My birthday is this next week. I was thinking of getting clipless pedals. Not any more.
I really feel for you.

Happy birthday!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the wishes.

LF;
Don't let this stop you on the clipless pedals. I've been using them for 8 years now with no real problems. When we put the new pedals on, I didn't change the cleats on my shoes. I think the new ones are slightly different, or maybe the old ones are just worn.

Lesson learned - clipless pedal change = cleat change!!!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I had a wound check today.

Good News: No sign of infection, and seems to be healing nicely.
Bad News: So many stitches and 'undermining' the skin to make it stretch in such and active and weight bearing area means the stitches stay in another 7 days! :eek:

Another weekend without riding. Arrrgh!

Jilly

Staff member
Heh, its only a week out of your life. Rest, relax and you'll come back stronger!! And give yourself a hug!!

lozz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
when someone puts dont look if squeamish you just have to look. wicked wound, must hurt, and it sounds like you were real brave about it, not sure I would be.

Heal soon

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna