• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Nordica Santa Ana

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi! Question here--I'm looking to purchase some 2017 Santa Anas and am unsure of what length to get. I'm waffling between the 169 and 177 and unfortunately demoing is not an option where I live (the not-so-great midwest). I'm 5'9," 135lbs, and a fairly adventurous skier who does mostly off-piste and sidecountry. These days I mostly ski out west with the occasional New England ice skate whenever I return home (NH). I'm currently skiing on 2013 Volkl Aura 170s which I like for their stability + speed but have found to be not-so-nimble in tighter situations.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Boy, I'd say the 177. I'm 5'5" 120ish and am on the 169. These skis are SO easy to maneuver, that the additional length is really only an issue in tighter trees, etc. All of which I avoid, so, not an issue! For backcountry and wide open stuff like that, I'd go longer than what you might think.

If you were mostly wanting them for trees and tight spaces, then I'd think of going 169. @lisamamot just bought the 177s--I'll let her chime in.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
[
Boy, I'd say the 177. I'm 5'5" 120ish and am on the 169. These skis are SO easy to maneuver, that the additional length is really only an issue in tighter trees, etc. All of which I avoid, so, not an issue! For backcountry and wide open stuff like that, I'd go longer than what you might think.

If you were mostly wanting them for trees and tight spaces, then I'd think of going 169. @lisamamot just bought the 177s--I'll let her chime in.

I agree with @contesstant . If you have been skiing the Aura in a 170 I think the shorter turning radius on the Santa Ana 100 177, coupled with the lighter weight and nimbleness, will more than offset the few inches of length.

laine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did something stupid and demoed some skis yesterday. I don't need skis - I'm on 2016 Blizzard Sambas that I got at the end of last season, so they only have about 20 days on them. But I was with my husband at Squaw and he was demoing (since he actually needs new skis), and since we were going into the demo center, I figured why not. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I first tried the Atomic Vantage 90 - did a couple runs, and it did nothing for me. Then I grabbed a pair of Santa Ana 100s, size 161 (I'm 5'1"). Wow. I loved them. More than my Sambas. And I stayed on them for the rest of the day. Skied a little crust, some slush/slop, some bumps - and they were super fun. But I don't need new skis...at all. So I figured I'd wait a year or two and maybe pick up a pair. But now I'm reconsidering!!!

I know @SnowHot got a preview of the 2018 season and they changed the Santa Ana. They added sheets of metal. And I generally prefer wood skis. For example, I'm not a fan of the Aura (a traditional fan favorite - but felt too stiff for me), and now I'm worried that the new Santa Ana will not be as fun.

Anyone else out there test the 2018 Santa Ana yet? @SnowHot, I read your initial impressions on PugSki - you have any other thoughts?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I haven't tried the 2018 but am your height and own the Blizzard Samba 2014 and did demo the Santa Ana in 4 ft fresh snow in a 161 and 2 days later with not so much snow in a 153. I did fine on both but definitely struggled in the 4 ft of heavy snow. So I wasn't sure if the skis were too long or may have had issues on any ski. I really like both sizes but the heavy snow kind of through my mojo off. So I was all set to buy some in probably the 153... Then I was in Europe the last 3 + weeks and demoed the Black Crow Camox Birdie in a 153 = LOVED it in Austria and then the Head Great Joy in a 153 in Switzerland = LOVED that one as well. Good news is I just sold my Rossi Saffron 7 - 162 to friend of friend who really wanted for his wife..... so now I need to replace.....back to your question about the change for 2018 I saw Tricia's @SnowHot post about the change. All three skis were really great, but the Black Crows and Great Joys excelled in chopped up snow and bumps... Turning radius 11.4 on Great Joy (probably could have gone longer) and 18 on Black Crows....153 was the right size.... I know, I'm not helping you any.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@santacruz skier Not sure about Great Joy changes? 2018 Camox Birdie no changes other than graphic.
So the dilemma of Santa Anna 2017 or wait for 2018. :crazy:

laine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Well, I don't actually need new skis, so even though I loved them (more than my current skis), I had no intentions of buying them. But then realizing that they are changing the construction for 2018 made me re-think. It would really be a fun indulgence that I don't need. I probably just need to be talked off the ledge. I was just curious how different the new model skis, wondering if it's as fun as the current one.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Well, I don't actually need new skis, so even though I loved them (more than my current skis), I had no intentions of buying them. But then realizing that they are changing the construction for 2018 made me re-think. It would really be a fun indulgence that I don't need. I probably just need to be talked off the ledge. I was just curious how different the new model skis, wondering if it's as fun as the current one.
I didn't demo the SA 100 for 2018, but did demo the new SA 93, and it's a vastly different ski than the 2017. If I were you, I'd hunt for a pair of used 2017s or an inexpensive new pair. I found a brand new pair at the end of last season for $300. They are a SUPER fun ski, and are my dedicated powder skis. You could always sell your Sambas to offset some of the cost.

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@santacruz skier Not sure about Great Joy changes? 2018 Camox Birdie no changes other than graphic.
So the dilemma of Santa Anna 2017 or wait for 2018. :crazy:
I have the 2018 Great Joy due to a mistake the shop made in mounting bindings on my 2017 Great Joys. The shop assured me the only change to the 2018 was to the topsheet.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I didn't demo the SA 100 for 2018, but did demo the new SA 93, and it's a vastly different ski than the 2017. If I were you, I'd hunt for a pair of used 2017s or an inexpensive new pair. I found a brand new pair at the end of last season for $300. They are a SUPER fun ski, and are my dedicated powder skis. You could always sell your Sambas to offset some of the cost.

I own the 2016 Santa Ana 100 (top sheet change only from 2016/2017) and demoed both the 2017 and 2018 Santa Ana 93, but have not been on the 2018 Santa Ana 100. I agree with @contesstant that the 2018 Santa Ana is a different ski...for me what they lost with the addition of the metal was quite a bit of fun factor. I am happy I have my pre-metal version :thumb:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I have the 2018 Great Joy due to a mistake the shop made in mounting bindings on my 2017 Great Joys. The shop assured me the only change to the 2018 was to the topsheet.
They're out now? What size and color topsheet did you get? I demoed the 2016 purple ones.. 2017 are kind of light green..

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I own the 2016 Santa Ana 100 (top sheet change only from 2016/2017) and demoed both the 2017 and 2018 Santa Ana 93, but have not been on the 2018 Santa Ana 100. I agree with @contesstant that the 2018 Santa Ana is a different ski...for me what they lost with the addition of the metal was quite a bit of fun factor. I am happy I have my pre-metal version :thumb:
I am curious about the 2018 Santa Ana 100 as may be a little stiffer and I like sambas and great joys... hmm. We need @SnowHot to weigh in

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Just read feb 10 post where snowhot did weigh in on the Santa Ana's 2018

laine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Just read feb 10 post where snowhot did weigh in on the Santa Ana's 2018

Ok, just read back a few pages in the thread - it's got a lot of pages, so apologies that folks already shared their thoughts on the 2018 Santa Ana 100s. In reading them, it does make me want to get the 2017 version. I mentioned it to my husband driving home from Tahoe today (got to go yto work tomorrow), and he essentially had to tell me not to buy them - that he was going to get them for me for my birthday (next month) and now I ruined the surprise. So I have a wonderful husband. Now we just need to find them for a good price. :becky:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok, just read back a few pages in the thread - it's got a lot of pages, so apologies that folks already shared their thoughts on the 2018 Santa Ana 100s. In reading them, it does make me want to get the 2017 version. I mentioned it to my husband driving home from Tahoe today (got to go yto work tomorrow), and he essentially had to tell me not to buy them - that he was going to get them for me for my birthday (next month) and now I ruined the surprise. So I have a wonderful husband. Now we just need to find them for a good price. :becky:
That's so awesome!!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

You and me both! For what they "lack" in charginess, they make up for in the fun factor. I haven't skied mine in almost a month due to no new snow, and I'm missing them. They always make me smile!

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They're out now? What size and color topsheet did you get? I demoed the 2016 purple ones.. 2017 are kind of light green..
No, the 2018s aren't out yet. The shop (Parallel at Squaw) got them for me from their Head rep because they couldn't find my length in the 2017s to replace the ones that had the bindings mounted wrong. The top sheet is very similar to the 2017 version, same purple, wood and light green colors. The wood panel part is smaller in the 2018s, I think. I'd have to put them next to the 2017s to see the exact difference.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
No, the 2018s aren't out yet. The shop (Parallel at Squaw) got them for me from their Head rep because they couldn't find my length in the 2017s to replace the ones that had the bindings mounted wrong. The top sheet is very similar to the 2017 version, same purple, wood and light green colors. The wood panel part is smaller in the 2018s, I think. I'd have to put them next to the 2017s to see the exact difference.
Hmm... don't remember your stats but curious what size? In Switzerland I demoed for the week the 153's and am 5'1 and around 103 ish...... Wasn't used to such a short turning radius as I usually make long swooping turns but really had fun... Friend behind me said he couldn't keep up with my quick turns...... would love a side by side comparison to the Santa Ana's.... probably more like the new 2018 version but who knows? Also LOVED the Black Crow Camox Birdie (@contesstant you should try this one - for fun) at 97 underfoot.... Super fun. Am in the market for new skis to augment Samba's... sold the Saffron 7's so impetus is there to buy new skis... however, I'm injured and don't even know if I can ski anymore this season. Appt w orthopedist next Tuesday...

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@santacruz skier: I got 168s. I'm 5'6" , 140 lbs. I also like to make long swooping turns, but the Great joys are lots of fun on soft snow, slushy snow, bumps, etc. The only thing I'm having trouble with them on is the steep hard pack. On my old skis I would point downhill to start and then make longer turns as needed. With the Great Joys I find my skis pointed across the mountain when I turn on steep hard pack, and then I don't know, maybe I'm lazy? I just don't want to turn again that soon, but I have to, unless I want to traverse! Steep soft snow is great, maybe because my turns are slower and it doesn't take as much effort to make another turn so soon. I'm still figuring them out, and I still am thinking about picking up this year's Samba!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
@santacruz skier: I got 168s. I'm 5'6" , 140 lbs. I also like to make long swooping turns, but the Great joys are lots of fun on soft snow, slushy snow, bumps, etc. The only thing I'm having trouble with them on is the steep hard pack. On my old skis I would point downhill to start and then make longer turns as needed. With the Great Joys I find my skis pointed across the mountain when I turn on steep hard pack, and then I don't know, maybe I'm lazy? I just don't want to turn again that soon, but I have to, unless I want to traverse! Steep soft snow is great, maybe because my turns are slower and it doesn't take as much effort to make another turn so soon. I'm still figuring them out, and I still am thinking about picking up this year's Samba!
Oh we do have to ski together..... I'm at Northstar. A lot. So looking at your stats sounds like the 153 was the right size for me. My Sambas are 2014 or 2015 and are really fun..... Now I'm excited to get new skis..... been googling.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Also the current Samba is a much better ski (I think) than the version I have. I like it a lot but many think it's a lot of work. Maybe it is, but I like it a lot better than the Rossi Saffron 7 in 162 that I just sold.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga