• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Nordica Enforcer 94 or Santa Ana 98? Please help!

kayan1873

Diva in Training
In need of suggestions! I am a 49 year old ski patroller. I've been skiing for 46 years. I've been told I have one speed - FAST - and I am a strong/aggressive skier. I love to carve and still play in the bumps, but my hips and knees are feeling my age (and my weight as I am 5'4 and currently stuck about 230lbs despite my best efforts). I also had major back surgery about 14 years ago. I currently have Rossi Z10's and I have enjoyed them, but am thinking I want something a bit wider for those times when we are out west (about once a year), but still allows me to carve, play in the bumps and handle the crud. I've always had men's skis and my experience is that I overpower women's skis - I was all set to grab a pair of Enforcer 94 in a 165 length, but then I read reviews of the Santa Ana. Now I am torn. Do I stick with a men's ski (specifically the Nordica Enforcer 94) or give the Nordica Santa Ana 98 a try. It's a big expense so I feel like I need to get it right. Plus at my age, I'm supposed to be older and wiser, right? LOL! I like the idea of skiing on a ski that weighs less, but want to make sure it is still stiff enough for my weight and can accommodate my need for speed. Anyone out there skied these skis? Have any thoughts or suggestions? (I skied an "expert" women's Volkl ski once about 15-20 years ago and it was a disaster because all I did was overpower it and wash out).

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
To me 165 sounds sort of short based upon your stats and style? Presuming you need these for patrol work you probably want something still very maneuverable for trees bumps etc but maybe at least a little longer would improve stability? As I understand it, the current ski sizing trends prioritize weight more than height.

shadoj

Angel Diva
In need of suggestions! I am a 49 year old ski patroller.
It's a big expense so I feel like I need to get it right.
Hi! Welcome! Thanks for helping keep our hills safer :smile:

Don't forget that a ton of companies offer proform/patrol discounts, so maybe the ski price won't be too bad! Have you looked at any of the smaller companies like Shaggy's or Icelantic? They might be able to help you come up with something super steezy to fit your needs.

Where do you usually ski when not out west?

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Icelandic had a great patroller top sheet for (I think) their 96 underfoot ski a few years ago.

kayan1873

Diva in Training

Don't forget that a ton of companies offer proform/patrol discounts, so maybe the ski price won't be too bad! Have you looked at any of the smaller companies like Shaggy's or Icelantic? They might be able to help you come up with something super steezy to fit your needs.

I ski at Cascade, a small hill in Wisconsin and I currently have a men's Rossi Z10 in a 163. They are 13 years old! Before that I had really stiff Fischer RX8 and loved them until I had back surgery. My oldest daughter turns 12 next month so the the last 10 years, it been all about buying equipment for my girls who grow like weeds! Mom's needs/wants fell to the backseat. However, I have decided that needs to stop and it's my turn!

kayan1873

Diva in Training

Yes, I am looking to proform through NSP. It helps a lot, but is still a big investment/commitment. :smile:

kayan1873

Diva in Training
Do you have a chance to demo? Skis are so personal, demos can really be helpful to find the one that makes you smile.
Trying to figure that out. There's a demo day coming up in March at my home hill - but with my luck the ski I end up wanting will be out of stock! LOL!

kayan1873

Diva in Training
To me 165 sounds sort of short based upon your stats and style? Presuming you need these for patrol work you probably want something still very maneuverable for trees bumps etc but maybe at least a little longer would improve stability? As I understand it, the current ski sizing trends prioritize weight more than height.
I have 163 now and that length works well. Just need to make sure the skis are firm (but not too firm) so I get the stability I need/want.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have 163 now and that length works well.
I don’t know anything about your current ski. @Jilly knows a lot about Rossis, but I would encourage you to be sure in new skis you consider if there is rocker and how that influences the effective length. Often in a wider ski it will be built with tip and even tail rocker so will be much shorter effective edge than a full camber ski of the same length.

shadoj

Angel Diva
Ooh! Cascade looks a lot like Welch Village (MN)! Us midwesterners really need to get together for a mini-meetup :smile:

Your old skis look like they were on the cusp of the all-mountain carver trend, mid-70's underfoot. Plenty of selection with similar profiles these days, including updated Rossi models. Head makes some nice skis (a bit spendy, but not Stockli $$$!), quite popular with the patrollers here. Liberty V76/V82 might be worth a look. Brahma 82s & Volkl Deacons might be fun to try, too.

You deserve updated equipment! Hey, when you look at how many years you got out of that last pair, the cost per year isn't too bad. Skiing is just *expensive*! I just spent this past year upgrading 15-20 year old gear. New boots. New skis & bindings. New shell & pants & helmet. Oof. However, now that I'm not afraid of my equipment exploding... I can now really relax and enjoy working on technique.

Which ski are you hoping to demo?

Jilly

Staff member
I skied the Z5's years ago. Z10 was the second go round for the Zenith family. The Z10 was one stiff ski. This ski would now be considered a front side carver. Full camber, no rocker, so 163 was the right length. I was on 154. Remember you need to buy skis for what you're usually skiing An out west trip is only 5-7 days out of your year. And if you're patrolling then you have a lot of days on snow.

I think you should stick with unisex skis. So the question is frontside carver for daily driver, all mountain ski for a daily driver?

The Experience line from Rossi would be an all mountain. I liked the Brahma 82 I demo'd 2 years ago. They do come with larger waists. The new Maverick from Atomic. All of these skis have rocker, so you will need to go longer. Probably up to 170 range. And look for a ski with metal for you.

This is why the Diva's say DEMO!!

kayan1873

Diva in Training
Ooh! Cascade looks a lot like Welch Village (MN)! Us midwesterners really need to get together for a mini-meetup :smile:

Your old skis look like they were on the cusp of the all-mountain carver trend, mid-70's underfoot. Plenty of selection with similar profiles these days, including updated Rossi models. Head makes some nice skis (a bit spendy, but not Stockli $$$!), quite popular with the patrollers here. Liberty V76/V82 might be worth a look. Brahma 82s & Volkl Deacons might be fun to try, too.

You deserve updated equipment! Hey, when you look at how many years you got out of that last pair, the cost per year isn't too bad. Skiing is just *expensive*! I just spent this past year upgrading 15-20 year old gear. New boots. New skis & bindings. New shell & pants & helmet. Oof. However, now that I'm not afraid of my equipment exploding... I can now really relax and enjoy working on technique.

Which ski are you hoping to demo?

kayan1873

Diva in Training
Hoping to demo the Enforcer 94 (or 100) and Santa Ana 98. Will check out the others you suggested. And yes, Cascade is a great place - especially for getting my kiddos on skis. Now they can go just about anywhere and I have to keep up. :smile:

kayan1873

Diva in Training
I skied the Z5's years ago. Z10 was the second go round for the Zenith family. The Z10 was one stiff ski. This ski would now be considered a front side carver. Full camber, no rocker, so 163 was the right length. I was on 154. Remember you need to buy skis for what you're usually skiing An out west trip is only 5-7 days out of your year. And if you're patrolling then you have a lot of days on snow.

I think you should stick with unisex skis. So the question is frontside carver for daily driver, all mountain ski for a daily driver?

The Experience line from Rossi would be an all mountain. I liked the Brahma 82 I demo'd 2 years ago. They do come with larger waists. The new Maverick from Atomic. All of these skis have rocker, so you will need to go longer. Probably up to 170 range. And look for a ski with metal for you.

This is why the Diva's say DEMO!!
Thanks! I will check out your suggestions. Hoping to Demo coming up here in March.

jenniferm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I loved the Santa Anas, even though they were a bit too much ski for me. But I'm a 5'2, 115 pound skier who is just getting comfortable on expert runs! I ski with a friend (male) who is more at your level and pretty close in weight and height as well. He loves, loves, loves the Enforcers--based on what you've said, you'll love them too!

kayan1873

Diva in Training
I loved the Santa Anas, even though they were a bit too much ski for me. But I'm a 5'2, 115 pound skier who is just getting comfortable on expert runs! I ski with a friend (male) who is more at your level and pretty close in weight and height as well. He loves, loves, loves the Enforcers--based on what you've said, you'll love them too!
Thank you! That is good to know!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna