• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Newish skier, older and ?s starting with boot issues

marzNC

Angel Diva
I realize that very few people can help me with all of this stuff, but maybe you can give me suggestions as I try to learn more about this sport and how to make it more enjoyable for me. I'm going to a boot fitter that is highly recommended (Leesburg, VA) tomorrow to ask for their help. I know it's mid-season, so does it even make sense to go now? Do you have any other recommendations for helping with boots? Ordering some? or going with what the recommend? Etc.
Welcome! That's great you've already found Brian at Pro-Fit in Leesburg. He's been highly recommended by Divas and regulars on the DCSki forum for years. I have no doubt he'll work with you do come up with boots that fit for your skiing purposes. Don't hold back on why you are skiing, how often, and on what terrain. Check out the rolling carpet that is Inside Ski while you're there. Can be a good way to extend the season or get ready for the next season during the hot summer days.

It's never a bad time to get a proper boot fitting done. There is at least six weeks left to the mid-Atlantic season, perhaps eight if the cold fronts keep coming through from the Arctic.

My home mountain is Massanutten, even though I live in North Carolina. Where have you been skiing the most?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I live in Maryland, but I work volunteer once a week in VA (where we used to live). So, I'm going to Leesburg because it's recommended and it's close - ish to where I'm going tomorrow. I've also been told to look at a shop in Gaithersburg which is closer to me. I live in Columbia, Maryland.
The other Brian in Gaithersburg has also been helping people into well fitting boots for years. If Pro-Fit doesn't have stock on hand that works, makes sense to check in with Ski Center LTD. All boot fitters know each other. It won't bother them if one can help for you to go to another.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@berryblondeboys : Here's the thread about Mid-Atlantic skiing that is local for people who live in DC/MD/NoVA.

berryblondeboys

Certified Ski Diva
Even if you aren't registered at SkiTalk.com's forum, you should be able to read that thread. My link may assume it's me so maybe that's why it doesn't work. Try again maybe by goign directly to SkiTalk.com, clicking on forums, and searching for a thread titled "heart"

The issue I'm thinking of is not an issue with the hear. It's the blood thinner's impact on internal bleeding should you fall while skiing.
Right. I did read it - I just wanted to respond and ask a question, but I'm not sure I want to go through all the hassle to sign up. LOL

berryblondeboys

Certified Ski Diva
Hello @berryblondeboys - I'm on blood thinners due to a genetic disorder. In June, I will hit 20 yrs on warfarin. I will be on it for the rest of my life. In addition to skiing, I SCUBA dive, bike, hike and so on. So far I've been hit by a dive boat, crashed my bike 3 times, had some spectacular falls skiing and blown a knee out playing softball. Feel free to PM me with any questions or just an ear to vent at.

I live in MA now but I lived in Annapolis for 15 yrs and worked in Baltimore and DC/VA. I was a regular at Ski Liberty (maybe 2x/yr) and occasionally got a week at Snowshoe.

I also have a similar build as you but shorter and much rounder - very very wide calves, high arches, hammer toes, narrow heels - the works so to speak. Until I found my current boot fitter - I thought I would have to stop skiing because nobody could or would fit me. I now have a gone pair of boots that fit correctly.
Thanks for the response - the recs I got from my doctors were to enjoy life and to wear a helmet. I also got myself an apple watch if I fall. (that was mainly for my bike).

Because you have two choices - to live in bubble wrap or live your life (and be reasonably cautious). If I were 75 or 80 I "might" think differently, but even then probably not because movement saves your life more than living in bubble wrap.

I had my stroke(s) - small but significant at 48. I plan to have a LOT more living and I don't want to live in fear. My husband and sons like to ski, so I tried it and liked it too. I love being outside (I just took a 2-mile walk in the cold) and I love being active - this allows me to do both.

And yes, Liberty is where we go as it's a day drive for us. We will be gone on Monday and Thursday of this coming week.

berryblondeboys

Certified Ski Diva
The other Brian in Gaithersburg has also been helping people into well fitting boots for years. If Pro-Fit doesn't have stock on hand that works, makes sense to check in with Ski Center LTD. All boot fitters know each other. It won't bother them if one can help for you to go to another.
RIght I will try the other too if needed. I got the used gear in Glen Burnie at the Baltimore Ski Warehouse.

berryblondeboys

Certified Ski Diva
@liquidfeet - In a nutshell, there are several types of blood thinners on the market. I'm on warfarin (Coumadin) as it acts systemically - throughout my whole body. The newer thinners such as eliquiss are more targeted for a particular type of clotting such as DVT. Warfarin requires constant blood testing, I have particular range I have to be in. It also requires dietary changes as anything containing Vitamin K such green leafy veggies will negate warfarin. Eliquiss and its cousins have no testing requirements or dietary changes but all blood thinners have serious bruising issues and all require taking care to avoid serious bruising.

But this isn't really on topic... I just wanted to let the OP know blood thinners have not stopped me from enjoying my life including skiing. I have had some spectacular bruises to show for it.
That is useful. I'm on an anticoagulant - Plavix (Clopidogrel). Basically, the arteries in my brain are wired a bit wrongly. Most of the blood that feeds my brain goes through small arteries and naturally bypasses the large arteries. It is imperative that I not lower my blood pressure too quickly or too low as that can lead to a stroke because the blood just can't get pushed through with enough pressure.

I only learned this after being tested for everything after the first stroke - and then having a second stroke on the other side of the brain 3 months later when my BP was too low. This problem developed when I started taking blood pressure medicine for the first time. 3 days later I had the stroke and I even went back to the doctor after the second day because I KNEW something was "off", but it was the second stroke that led to more tests and figuring it out.

So, in a nutshell - my heart is GREAT and I have no heart disease or signs of plaque and being active (like skiing and bike riding, and walking, and hiking, will keep my blood pressure and heart conditioned so that I can live a full life.

And it's because of the strokes I learned of these problems so hopefully, I will live a longer and better life with that knowledge (though the first stroke was devastating - lost the ability to read and write and tell time and do math initially and I still am shaky with it.)

Now back to the topic (but it led me to skiing!!!)

marzNC

Angel Diva
RIght I will try the other too if needed. I got the used gear in Glen Burnie at the Baltimore Ski Warehouse.
My first skis when I was getting my daughter started on skis were from there. I ordered online. She's in college now. She's quite jealous I get to ski a lot as someone who is retired since she's far too busy at this stage of her life.

Divegirl

Angel Diva
Glad to hear you have that attitude - sounds like we both do. I talked a close friend off a limb when he got put on blood thinners. He thought it was the end of the world - I gave him the "padded room vs living" talk.

I was 40 when I had my clotting incident - didn't stroke but lost strength on my left side. Haven't had an incident since. I'm missing a protein that regulates clotting so I'm hyper-coagulant - I can develop clots at any time anywhere in my body hence the need for warfarin.

Back to skiing!

Hopefully we can meet up some time... Diva East maybe?
Thanks for the response - the recs I got from my doctors were to enjoy life and to wear a helmet. I also got myself an apple watch if I fall. (that was mainly for my bike).

Because you have two choices - to live in bubble wrap or live your life (and be reasonably cautious). If I were 75 or 80 I "might" think differently, but even then probably not because movement saves your life more than living in bubble wrap.

I had my stroke(s) - small but significant at 48. I plan to have a LOT more living and I don't want to live in fear. My husband and sons like to ski, so I tried it and liked it too. I love being outside (I just took a 2-mile walk in the cold) and I love being active - this allows me to do both.

And yes, Liberty is where we go as it's a day drive for us. We will be gone on Monday and Thursday of this coming week.

berryblondeboys

Certified Ski Diva
OK all, I got to the boot fitter today (that place was busy!) And I walked away with new boots. They are beginner boots (and I'm basically a beginner), but they fit and don't hurt my feet and I know better how to put them on and seat my heel properly. And my old boots were WAY too big!!! They were a 28.0 ( I thought they were a 27.5, but NO they were bigger!) and now I have a 26.5!!!!

We are going skiing tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed that they work for me and that I ski pain-free.

berryblondeboys

Certified Ski Diva
For this novice, essentially, I went skiing today for about 4 hours and about 18 runs I figure in that time and my shins didn't hurt me at all!!!!

But it was a rough start. We went on the easiest non-bunny slope and at first, I felt like I didn't know how to ski at all! (and I've gone skiing about 10-12 times, but always had to bail early because of shin pain) and I realized almost immediately that one of the ways I was trying to control my foot/skis with my old boots (that were WAY too big for me) was that I was holding my foot/toes UP when I turned to try to control something. When I tried to do that with the new boots, I felt it immediately in my shins and realized that it was a numbskull thing to do.

I felt by the end of that run that I could do turns easier and could do an edge which I don't think I ever really grasped how to do.

I'm still such a beginner, but to ski as many runs as my teen (and by the end, "almost" at the same speed was HUGE and nothing hurt me!!!

We are going again on Thursday and I hope to go on a bigger hill with a longer run then. My teen is ready for that too. My shin pain was REALLY slowing me down and bumming me out.

Maybe I'll need to graduate to a better technical boot, but that would be a good problem to have.

Thank you for your help. I'll try to keep learning more.

newboots

Angel Diva
Great news! @berryblondeboys you have entered the world of serious skiing! So much better to be free of all that pain, and all of the contortions you used to try to control your skis! Hooray!

:dancing:

HikenSki

Angel Diva
So glad you were able to see Brian at Pro-Fit Ski! He really is the bomb. I’ve done two boot fittings with him in the last six years. Most recently was last year when he had to adjust my insoles and punched out my boot since my feet got wider following pregnancy. When you stated your boot size I knew it was way too big. I’m in 27.5 and wear size 11 shoes. It really is amazing how much easier and fun it is to ski with properly fitting boots! Welcome to the fun world of serious skiing! :thumbsup::ski2:

berryblondeboys

Certified Ski Diva
So glad you were able to see Brian at Pro-Fit Ski! He really is the bomb. I’ve done two boot fittings with him in the last six years. Most recently was last year when he had to adjust my insoles and punched out my boot since my feet got wider following pregnancy. When you stated your boot size I knew it was way too big. I’m in 27.5 and wear size 11 shoes. It really is amazing how much easier and fun it is to ski with properly fitting boots! Welcome to the fun world of serious skiing! :thumbsup::ski2:
Thanks! In normal shoes, I wear a 10.5 - 11s are ALWAYS too big. These new boots fit PERFECTLY at a 26.5 Now, I KNOW they are comfort fit to accommodate my wide calves and I don't think I saw Brian, but he was there and he was helping/assisting others too. That place was BUSY with 3-4 other fitters and people shopping for boots (and then there were other shoppers for other things).

They also had me try another boot which also felt better, (better even yet), but It was a lot more expensive and it would have meant also upgrading my bindings. Maybe someday I might need that, but I need to be sure I can keep skiing to make it worth the $ and maybe by then I'll learn more about what to ask for and what I need.

Latetotheparty

Certified Ski Diva
i am so glad to hear that you want to ski despite health issues! There is nothing better, and you do not need to be a superstar to have a glorious time. My husband , who has skied most of his life, has had to adapt his style due to a pacemaker and Coumadin. He is 100% dependent on the pacemaker, so can no longer ski the trees, and is cautious on the bumps. And yet he is out there 65 days a season, and so happy. I returned to skiing after a 20 year hiatus, also due to health issues, and am struggling with boot issues as well- so, a work in progress. As we all are. And all the trials and tribulations are so worth it! Listen to all these smart women, they know what they are talking about! The joy is worth the work.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna