• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Newish skier, older and ?s starting with boot issues

berryblondeboys

Certified Ski Diva
Hey all. I just found this site and I'm already reading away. It's a bit overwhelming as a new 'ish' skier to soak it all in.

So, my intro. I'm 52 years old and I learned to ski at 48 years old. My partner from Europe learned to ski as a kid, but I, who grew up poor from the midwest, didn't learn as a kid and then I was too scared and unfit as an adult.

My older son (now 25) learned to ski when he was a kid and he's proficient and a decent hobby skier. We have a younger son who is 16 and has autism. He first tried snowboarding at 9 and 10 years old (heavily influenced by Shaun White), but switched to skiing 3 years ago when I decided to give it a try. I was tired of being the pack mule or being left behind while the others skied. Plus, I had a fluke stroke (two of them) caused by a medication when I was 48 years old and after having the strokes, I decided life is too short to live in fear. So, with some moderately good fitness, I decided to try skiing and I picked it up right away.

Now, I'm no superstar, but I'm doing it and I'm enjoying it. So far my teen and I had progressed at the same pace (he is doing GREAT). The first year I used rental skis and boots to make sure I would like it. We went 5 times here in the DC area.

The next year I got used skis and boots and went 5 times and I progressed quite a bit, but I'm having significant pain in my shins, to the point that it stops me from being able to do more than 5-6 runs.

The problems are three-fold that I'm aware of.

1. I have been diagnosed in the past with having compartment syndrome. I've worked past that in the past with more exercise. I walk 2-3 miles every day at or sub 15-minute miles on moderately hilly terrain near me. I haven't had issues with compartment syndrome for more than a decade, but I recognized it immediately as the pain is excruciating, but it subsides when blood flow to the shin resumes normally.

2. I have large calves. I'm 5'6 and I'm largely built with big bones - not an excuse, but some people are built largely! I weigh 190. My "ideal" weight according to docs and scans is around 160. That isn't happening - I got to about that weight a decade ago with exercising 6 days a week with weight training and aerobic exercise and I got several overuse injuries trying to be "perfect". My "sweet spot" for my weight (where I can maintain and not feel like I'm starving is 175-185, so I'm not much above that now. My top weight was 275. So, being able to be and maintain where I am is GOOD.

But that means I'm a larger skier by bone structure and excess weight. I don't have a wide foot. It's actually normal, with a high arch and possibly on the slightly narrow size foot.

3. Because I had these strokes (which should not happen again) I learned that the blood flow through my brain is atypical and because of that I am on an anticoagulant. (a blood thinner). I am NOT desiring to become some top skier. I'm older. I'm wanting to be careful. I always wear a helmet. I ski on off days when it's less crowded (and cheaper), and I'm not a daredevil. I just want to be able to ski with my partner and kid(s) and to do so NOT IN PAIN. Because of being on a blood thinner, the boots that I have (used from a local ski shop) give me not only that shin pain while skiing, but bruising that takes a week to heal. But, these were the ONLY boots that fit me and they don't fit well. I am sure of that.

I realize that very few people can help me with all of this stuff, but maybe you can give me suggestions as I try to learn more about this sport and how to make it more enjoyable for me. I'm going to a boot fitter that is highly recommended (Leesburg, VA) tomorrow to ask for their help. I know it's mid-season, so does it even make sense to go now? Do you have any other recommendations for helping with boots? Ordering some? or going with what the recommend? Etc.

So, that's my story, and hello. I look forward to learning from all of you.

Scribble

Angel Diva
It is hard to advise specifics when it comes to boots, it is so individual, but as someone with a largish calf I understand the battle. An elastic booster strap might help by keeping the boot tongue more firmly against your shins, but its hard to know until you try it.
One of the problems I've had is that if the shaft of the boot is too tight on my leg, I'll get great performance for about 10 minutes before my outer calf and foot starts to cramp. On the other side of that, if the boot is comfortably loose on my leg, it makes it easier to get too far forward and strain my achilles, or to end up with shin bang if I get pushed into the backseat. Calf muscle is squishy and too loose a boot won't give the fore-aft support that is needed. Too little or too much movement is a problem. You'll have to find a happy medium and it may or may not be possible with the boots you have right now.
I had to use different liners and stretch the cuff of my current boots to make room for my leg. A decent bootfitter (as opposed to a salesperson at a shop who just wants to sell their stock on hand) will know ways to help. Be honest, don't try to be stoic and tolerate something that is injuring you, that absolutely isn't normal. Insist on a solution that works. Ski boots arent slippers, but they shouldn't cause you misery.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
... I'm going to a boot fitter that is highly recommended (Leesburg, VA) tomorrow to ask for their help. I know it's mid-season, so does it even make sense to go now? Do you have any other recommendations for helping with boots? Ordering some? or going with what the recommend? Etc.

So, that's my story, and hello. I look forward to learning from all of you.
Yes, go to a bootfitter by all means. Don't wait.

Boots are the most important piece of equipment for a skier. They are an exoskeleton for your feet, with after-market attachments (skis). That exoskeleton needs to fit the anatomy of your feet in all dimensions, length, width, height, and also around the lower leg. Getting a good fit will determine not only how comfortable the boots are, but how well you can control your skis. A poorly fitting boot is usually too big in one or more of those dimensions. That means the skier is trying to control each ski with a loose steering wheel. ... And if your foot or leg moves around, then you can get bruises like what you are suffering from on your shins.

Be ready to spend $$$. It's OK. Spend your money on boots, and rent skis for the season.

berryblondeboys

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks all so far. I think we are ready to bite the bullet for getting good ski boots. Last year it was so much $ with both my teen and I starting at the same time. His boots seem to be perfect (and they were way more expensive than mine even used). Mine are in poor condition. I think they were rentals and even the top buckle on the foot is broken.

If I don't get good boots, then I might as well not go. It is that much pain that I deal with once the shin compartment can't expand as it should and dealing with bruised shins means healing time too which is less time on the slopes. On Monday I managed 6 runs and then had to bail. The last two runs were not good because of pain and not being able to move properly. My teen and husband went down 9 times.

But question - with it being midseason, what are the chances they will even have my size in stock and ones that would be a good fit? I wear a 27.5 (or at least that is what my current boot is).

berryblondeboys

Certified Ski Diva
It is hard to advise specifics when it comes to boots, it is so individual, but as someone with a largish calf I understand the battle. An elastic booster strap might help by keeping the boot tongue more firmly against your shins, but its hard to know until you try it.
One of the problems I've had is that if the shaft of the boot is too tight on my leg, I'll get great performance for about 10 minutes before my outer calf and foot starts to cramp. On the other side of that, if the boot is comfortably loose on my leg, it makes it easier to get too far forward and strain my achilles, or to end up with shin bang if I get pushed into the backseat. Calf muscle is squishy and too loose a boot won't give the fore-aft support that is needed. Too little or too much movement is a problem. You'll have to find a happy medium and it may or may not be possible with the boots you have right now.
I had to use different liners and stretch the cuff of my current boots to make room for my leg. A decent bootfitter (as opposed to a salesperson at a shop who just wants to sell their stock on hand) will know ways to help. Be honest, don't try to be stoic and tolerate something that is injuring you, that absolutely isn't normal. Insist on a solution that works. Ski boots arent slippers, but they shouldn't cause you misery.
I wonder if I can't find something at this shop if they will have recommendations of what to try? As I agree - this sort of pain is not normal and it makes me not want to ski out of wanting to avoid that pain.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
....3. Because I had these strokes (which should not happen again) I learned that the blood flow through my brain is atypical and because of that I am on an anticoagulant. (a blood thinner). I am NOT desiring to become some top skier. I'm older. I'm wanting to be careful. I always wear a helmet. I ski on off days when it's less crowded (and cheaper), and I'm not a daredevil.
Since you are on blood thinners, you might want to read through this thread I've linked below from another ski forum. If you read all the way to the end, you'll find that doctors have contributed some specific information about skiing with blood thinners in response to the original poster and to the posts from other skiers who are on blood thinners. I don't know if your situation is similar enough for this info to be important to you, but I'm sure you can decide that for yourself.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks all so far. I think we are ready to bite the bullet for getting good ski boots. Last year it was so much $ with both my teen and I starting at the same time. His boots seem to be perfect (and they were way more expensive than mine even used). Mine are in poor condition. I think they were rentals and even the top buckle on the foot is broken.

If I don't get good boots, then I might as well not go. It is that much pain that I deal with once the shin compartment can't expand as it should and dealing with bruised shins means healing time too which is less time on the slopes. On Monday I managed 6 runs and then had to bail. The last two runs were not good because of pain and not being able to move properly. My teen and husband went down 9 times.

But question - with it being midseason, what are the chances they will even have my size in stock and ones that would be a good fit? I wear a 27.5 (or at least that is what my current boot is).
Bruised shins are called "shin-bang" and happen because the boots are too big, not because they are too little. Your shin bangs into the top of the cuff because the boot is not snug enough in the cuff to hold the lower leg in place. A loose cuff allows the banging to happen. A tight cuff won't allow it, so no bruising. The cuff needs to fit snuggggg around the whole lower leg, including all the way down to right above the ankle. This part is essential. Make sure the boots you buy have cuffs that are snuggg all the way up. If your calves are super wide, causing air in front of your lower shin, the bootfitter will need to deal with that issue by expanding the top of the cuff in some way, or cutting it shorter.

This is a covid season, and there are supply chain issues. It's also mid-season. You won't know if they have a boot that fits your foot in stock or not until you go, and then you have to trust the bootfitter in front of you to be taking your needs into consideration properly.

Beginner skiers sometimes are put into boots that offer a "comfort fit." This means they feel GREAT in the shop, but later the liner will get compressed by skiing in them and all of a sudden the skier will find that the boot is sloppy on the foot and leg. Don't let that happen.

A boot that actually fits all dimensions of your foot will feel almost impossibly tight. You'll have trouble getting it on ... until you get used to the process of forcing it open the right way. Don't freak out.... stand around in the boots, walk around in the shop in them, and ask yourself if the tightness is simply unfamiliar, while not causing pain. You want to answer that with a yes.

The boots should be fit to the smaller of your two feet, so it feels "snuggggg" (tight) but not painful. The bootfitter will then grind or punch the plastic of the other boot to create bulges in the plastic shell so it fits that larger foot properly, which again is "snuggggg." This process is already paid for when you pay those $$$ for your boot; the adjustments come with the sale. So punches and grinds should be free.

If the bootfitter wants you to get a custom footbed, that's a good idea. It will set you back another $200 or so. There may be an off-the-shelf option that works for your foot almost as well as the custom option. This depends on your foot's anatomy.

Wear one pair of thin ski socks when you go, and loose pants that can be pulled up to reveal your knees. Or you can wear shorts under you pants and take the pants off in the shop. This is because the bootfitter may need to see your knees to check your alignment. Take your current boots too. And take your skis, if you own a pair. The shop will set your bindings to fit your new boots and this should be free.

Best of luck getting this sorted. Buying boots is a pain, takes hours in the shop, and it's stressful, and definitely expensive. But the quality of your skiing depends on going through this process despite the time and $$ it requires.

Last edited:

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I’m a size 10 shoe, a similar build, and I wear a 25.5. So, definitely go to the Leesburg bootfitter … I would be surprised if you’re bigger than a 26.5. My son has a size 13 men’s shoe and wears a 28.5. Please make sure they shell fit you UNWEIGHTED. When you weigh a touch more, I suspect your weighted foot likely flattens a lot when you stand on the length thing they have.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
To know whether you're dealing with a capable bootfitter or not, the first thing you need that person to do is a "shell-fit." This means the bootfitter measures your foot, asks you questions about your skiing, takes a look at your lower legs and calves, and goes in the back and brings out two or three boots. Then he/she removes the liner and has you stand in the shell to see how much air space is around the foot in all dimensions.

This is a shell-fit. If the bootfitter doesn't do this, leave and find another shop or another bootfitter. Not doing a shell-fit means the person is just trying to sell you some boot off the shelf, instead of getting your foot into a well-fitting boot.

Many of us have been through this and learned the hard way what we need a bootfitter to do. Older women who are beginners are especially in danger of being treated as easy sells, and they often get sold off-the-shelf comfort-fit boots with no custom adjustments. Don't let that happen. You will be paying for customization when you buy the boot, whether it's done or not.

berryblondeboys

Certified Ski Diva
Bruised shins are called "shin-bang" and happen because the boots are too big, not because they are too little. Your shin bangs into the top of the cuff because the boot is not snug enough in the cuff to hold the lower leg in place. A loose cuff allows the banging to happen. A tight cuff won't allow it, so no bruising. The cuff needs to fit snuggggg around the whole lower leg, including all the way down to right above the ankle. This part is essential. Make sure the boots you buy have cuffs that are snuggg all the way up. If your calves are super wide, causing air in front of your lower shin, the bootfitter will need to deal with that issue by expanding the top of the cuff in some way, or cutting it shorter.

This is a covid season, and there are supply chain issues. It's also mid-season. You won't know if they have a boot that fits your foot in stock or not until you go, and then you have to trust the bootfitter in front of you to be taking your needs into consideration properly.

Beginner skiers sometimes are put into boots that offer a "comfort fit." This means they feel GREAT in the shop, but later the liner will get compressed by skiing in them and all of a sudden the skier will find that the boot is sloppy on the foot and leg. Don't let that happen.

A boot that actually fits all dimensions of your foot will feel almost impossibly tight. You'll have trouble getting it on ... until you get used to the process of forcing it open the right way. Don't freak out.... stand around in the boots, walk around in the shop in them, and ask yourself if the tightness is simply unfamiliar, while not causing pain. You want to answer that with a yes.

The boots should be fit to the smaller of your two feet, so it feels "snuggggg" (tight) but not painful. The bootfitter will then grind or punch the plastic of the other boot to create bulges in the plastic shell so it fits that larger foot properly, which again is "snuggggg." This process is already paid for when you pay those $$$ for your boot; the adjustments come with the sale. So punches and grinds should be free.

If the bootfitter wants you to get a custom footbed, that's a good idea. It will set you back another $200 or so. There may be an off-the-shelf option that works for your foot almost as well as the custom option. This depends on your foot's anatomy.

Wear one pair of thin ski socks when you go, and loose pants that can be pulled up to reveal your knees. Or you can wear shorts under you pants and take the pants off in the shop. This is because the bootfitter may need to see your knees to check your alignment. Take your current boots too. And take your skis, if you own a pair. The shop will set your bindings to fit your new boots and this should be free.

Best of luck getting this sorted. Buying boots is a pain, takes hours in the shop, and it's stressful, and definitely expensive. But the quality of your skiing depends on going through this process despite the time and $$ it requires.
This is really helpful. Thank you.

My boots are tight and I tighten them up tight with the straps, but they are mostly tight on the calf and the tongue digs into my shin. They might be too long - not sure. I do know my heel doesn't seat right.

I'll take everything tomorrow.

berryblondeboys

Certified Ski Diva
I’m a size 10 shoe, a similar build, and I wear a 25.5. So, definitely go to the Leesburg bootfitter … I would be surprised if you’re bigger than a 26.5. My son has a size 13 men’s shoe and wears a 28.5. Please make sure they shell fit you UNWEIGHTED. When you weigh a touch more, I suspect your weighted foot likely flattens a lot when you stand on the length thing they have.
Thanks much. I definitely need help - at least to feel like there is HOPE with this.

berryblondeboys

Certified Ski Diva
Since you are on blood thinners, you might want to read through this thread I've linked below from another ski forum. If you read all the way to the end, you'll find that doctors have contributed some specific information about skiing with blood thinners in response to the original poster and to the posts from other skiers who are on blood thinners. I don't know if your situation is similar enough for this info to be important to you, but I'm sure you can decide that for yourself.

Thanks for this... when I go to reply to this, I get logged out and it won't log me back in... I'm on a blood thinner because of having past strokes. It's a preventative thing. I don't have any heart issues as that was very thoroughly investigated. I even wore an internal heart rate monitor for 3 years.

Oh... now I realize it's taking me to a different site! That would explain it!

Last edited:

berryblondeboys

Certified Ski Diva
Where are you located? What shop are you going to? What's the name of the bootfitter?
I live in Maryland, but I work volunteer once a week in VA (where we used to live). So, I'm going to Leesburg because it's recommended and it's close - ish to where I'm going tomorrow. I've also been told to look at a shop in Gaithersburg which is closer to me. I live in Columbia, Maryland.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for this... when I go to reply to this, I get logged out and it won't log me back in... I'm on a blood thinner because of having past strokes. It's a preventative thing. I don't have any heart issues as that was very thoroughly investigated. I even wore an internal heart rate monitor for 3 years.

Oh... now I realize it's taking me to a different site! That would explain it!
Even if you aren't registered at SkiTalk.com's forum, you should be able to read that thread. My link may assume it's me so maybe that's why it doesn't work. Try again maybe by goign directly to SkiTalk.com, clicking on forums, and searching for a thread titled "heart"

The issue I'm thinking of is not an issue with the hear. It's the blood thinner's impact on internal bleeding should you fall while skiing.

Divegirl

Angel Diva
Hello @berryblondeboys - I'm on blood thinners due to a genetic disorder. In June, I will hit 20 yrs on warfarin. I will be on it for the rest of my life. In addition to skiing, I SCUBA dive, bike, hike and so on. So far I've been hit by a dive boat, crashed my bike 3 times, had some spectacular falls skiing and blown a knee out playing softball. Feel free to PM me with any questions or just an ear to vent at.

I live in MA now but I lived in Annapolis for 15 yrs and worked in Baltimore and DC/VA. I was a regular at Ski Liberty (maybe 2x/yr) and occasionally got a week at Snowshoe.

I also have a similar build as you but shorter and much rounder - very very wide calves, high arches, hammer toes, narrow heels - the works so to speak. Until I found my current boot fitter - I thought I would have to stop skiing because nobody could or would fit me. I now have a gone pair of boots that fit correctly.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^^ That's very good news about the blood thinner issue. Maybe there are different types of blood thinners, some which are dangerous for falls and others which are not? I'm not sure, just relaying stuff I've read.

Divegirl

Angel Diva
@liquidfeet - In a nutshell, there are several types of blood thinners on the market. I'm on warfarin (Coumadin) as it acts systemically - throughout my whole body. The newer thinners such as eliquiss are more targeted for a particular type of clotting such as DVT. Warfarin requires constant blood testing, I have particular range I have to be in. It also requires dietary changes as anything containing Vitamin K such green leafy veggies will negate warfarin. Eliquiss and its cousins have no testing requirements or dietary changes but all blood thinners have serious bruising issues and all require taking care to avoid serious bruising.

But this isn't really on topic... I just wanted to let the OP know blood thinners have not stopped me from enjoying my life including skiing. I have had some spectacular bruises to show for it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly