• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New to biking

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, I know the feeling... I think I've had hikers pass me on a couple horrible climbs... It's a little deflating, especially when you greet them and they give you this confused look like, "Aren't bikes supposed to be fast?" hahaha

hahaha, I have had hikers coming downhill look at me as I am coming up hill and make comments that "wow, looks like hard work" or "you must be working hard" then the skip off down the trail.

abc

Banned
Yes, it's sometimes faster walking/running up the hill. But it's often not as efficient.

As long as you can turn the crank at 30rpm or higher, you're better off riding. When you do run out of gear (and legs), that's the time to get off and walk.

As your legs gets stronger, you can ride up steeper hills, and climb for longer too. Alternatively, you can go get a larger cassette for the time being...

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Definitely get a bike computer...you can find some really good deals and your LBS can install it quickly and easily. It's absolutely a necessity for me.

That said, another GREAT tool is www.mapmyride.com. You can plot out your route on a map, and it even has a satellite view if your ride (or run or whatever) is on a trail that's not on the map. I download the data from my Garmin GPS to it.
Ack, I meant to post that last night and forgot! That is a great one, especially if I'm trying to plan ahead for a certain amount of mileage or I want to know what my elevation change is going to be. You can also log your rides there I've figured out although I haven't been doing that part. I know I'm at around 450 miles for the year though thus far.

And, Voklgirl, I can't believe I don't carry a whistle.:faint: I carry one skiing and just never thought about it for riding? :eek::confused: Alright, I'll go find my whistle tonight and add it to the pack. BTW heres what I carry.

*Spare tube
*Tire levers
*CO2 Pump/multi tool combo (I love this, won it at the Fat Tire!)
*Mini first aid kit
*Sunscreen packets
*Patch kit
*Lip balm
*Inhaler
*Phone
*Food and/or Clif Shot Bloks depending on ride length (if over 1.25 hours I do)
*ID/Credit card & couple of dollars cash (and I wear my road ID)

abc

Banned
WATER!!! And lots of it.

I don't carry a whistle biking.

I only carry one when kayaking. I didn't used to carry one when skiing. Though I started carry one since I started going into the trees. Still don't see a reason to carry one while biking though.

I don't carry half of the stuff you girls carry when biking. Unlike skiing, we have to carry everything UP the hill! Every ounce of weight feel like a ton. So everyone make their choices of what to carry and what to make do. Still, I've never had to walk home for the last 10+ years of riding, half of them by myself. I've encounter every kind of mechanical issue known to cyclist and I managed to deal with them with whatever I have on the spot.

Granted, I can survive without sunscreen and lip balm since I'm pretty dark to begin with...

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I disagree. Just about everyone around here has cyclometers.
Agree with this. I have a computer on my bikes, cheap and easy to install.
abc, Why on earth would you drive the route with a car and waste gas? That seems counter productive to the sport. :noidea:

If you want to get really high tech, check this out!
https://www.srm.de/

abc

Banned
abc, Why on earth would you drive the route with a car and waste gas? That seems counter productive to the sport.
Why? I don't any more because I ALREADY have a cyclecomputer.

But if I don't, and only cycle a fixed route repeatedly (which seem to be the case for the OP). It's actually cheaper to drive the route once and know the milage than to spend the money on a new cyclecomputer, which most likely may also involves DRIVING to the bike shop!

The most obvious answer isn't always the right one.

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What's in your saddle bag?

This is fun to see what everyone likes to carry! I carry and have used all of the following, except the emergency blanket and the spare tube (I prefer to patch if the hole is not at the base of the stem):

On my handlebars:
  • Bike Computer because I'm a geek
  • Bell for coming around blind corners quickly
In my saddle bag
  • Spare tube
  • Tire levers
  • patch kit
  • Multi-tool with built-in chain tool
  • Extra chain link
  • Allen wrench tool
  • Pump
  • Tube of polysporin w/ pain relevier
  • Small First Aid Kit
In my Camelbak:
  • Small pocket knife
  • Emergency blanket (this is actually left in there from ski season, but doesn't weigh anything, so why not?)
  • Photocopy of drivers licence and insurance card
  • Travel Hand sanitizer
  • Anticeptic wipes
  • Water, of course
  • Almonds and sometimes banana for snack
  • Sometimes a Gucerna Ensure shake if I'm worried about my blood sugar level (I'm reactive hypo-glycemic)
What do you carry?

altagirl

Staff member
I very rarely use a cycle computer. I had one on my first bike and lost it, so the one I have now only comes out if I'm trying to time laps for race training, etc.

I just figure it's easy enough to calculate out how far I rode if I want to using the trail descriptions on utahmountainbiking.com and if I did something else, I can plot it out in Google Earth with the route measurement tool.

But overall, I just don't worry about it. Clocking your time on a trail can make people impatient and frustrated when they aren't making progress. And there are other factors. If you rode a trail in an hour on a nice cool day but it took you longer when it was 100 degrees are you in worse shape? No, and there's no real way to conclusively compare the two. If you rode a trail when it was hardpacked and you had great traction on the climb and then went back and it was either mud or had turned sandy and loose and it made your time slower are you getting worse at riding? No. If you rode at a certain pace on an easy trail and were way slower on a technical trail - your computer doesn't have any way to factor that in for you either.

If you can be objective, it's interesting and potentially helpful information. But I think it can be a little counterproductive if you obsess over it. And you definitely don't NEED one.

abc

Banned
Definitely NOT for a mountain bike! :smile: I lost mine in the first biff and took the holder off. End of story.

An altimeter maybe more useful actually. When you think you've covered 3 out of 4 miles but your altimeter say you've only climbed 1000 of the 3000' to the top, you know you'll be in a whole lot of pain the next mile or so!!! :D

For road biking, a lot of people like to have a computer mostly to tell them how far they're FROM the end, not so much how far they've riden. Most of us knows that roughly anyway. Speed? well, let's just say some of us don't care. (no problem for those who do, and a computer is good for that, especially couple with a HRM) But then again, for training, a heart rate monitor is just as useful, if not more useful, than the cyclecomputer.

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Excellent points AG & abc... To be honest, I forget to reset mine at the beginning of the ride half the time anyway. :redface:

For me, this is more for fun and post-ride chit-chat, and not so much an obsession. As some of you know, I have plenty of other things I am obsessive about :bag:, but not so much this. :laugh:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Excellent points AG & abc... To be honest, I forget to reset mine at the beginning of the ride half the time anyway. :redface:

For me, this is more for fun and post-ride chit-chat, and not so much an obsession. As some of you know, I have plenty of other things I am obsessive about :bag:, but not so much this. :laugh:
This is how I am. Not particular about it but enjoy having it for a point of reference just the same.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is the computer that I use.

https://www.polarusa.com/Products/cs/cs200cad.asp?cat=consumer

It monitors heartrate, cadence, calories burned, etc. I've been monitoring my heartrate for years, really helps to keep me from pushing to hard on hills and is great for interval training. I didn't realize how important heart rate monitoring is until last year. I was training for Ride the Rockies and every time I got my heart rate up to my normal zones I started struggling with breathing. I thought I had lost my cardiovascular conditioning. I struggled all week on RTR and was even told by a friend it was all in my head, I was being a "whiner". On the last day of the ride I had a severe asthma attack and landed in the ER. Turns out my asthma wasn't under control and had I payed closer attention to my heart rate and checked with my dr. I may have avoided a trip to the ER. Now when I ride my heart rate can go as high as I want without gasping for air.

I'm another lightweight rider If I'm doing a short ride, under 20 miles I carry 2 water bottles, identification, a small amount of money, my inhaler, lip gloss, tube, pump, tire irons, a packable jacket and sunscreen.

I also carry a small lock, and use it even if I do a quick bathroom stop. We had a bike stolen because it was unlocked. Last summer a mtn bike ended up in our front yard, it never was claimed. My lock won't keep a serious thief from stealing my bike but it will keep some one from taking it for a "joy ride". I also keep a piece of paper with the serial no. of my bike in my jersey pocket or in my backpack. That way if it is stolen I can call it in immediately. All of our bike serial nos. are recorded on our computers. Our police dept won't talk to us about a stolen bike unless we have serial nos.

When I do long rides I use my Camelback, I drink more that way, and carry a lunch, peanut butter sandwich and a cliff bar.

My handlebars have my Polar computer, no room for anything else. I use a mirror that inserts into the end of the handlebar in place of the plug. Handy to have on the trails around here as many cyclists don't bother to call out when they are passing.

As for sunscreen use, at the age of 60 I'm seeing the signs of what unprotected sunning can do to your skin. My mother and grandmother had beautiful skin but they never went into the sun without covering up. I'm fortunate because I lived most of my life at a low elevation with lots of overcast days so I don't have the signs of aging that many of my friends here have. However, the Colorado sun is quickly changing things. I don't leave home without it.

ski&bfree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bike computers can be as plain or as fancy as you want. You need to determine what information is important to you....Ave speed, Max speed, Current speed, Elapsed time, and current clock time are the most standard data you'll find. Some of the $$$ ones also clock Heart Rate, Cadence, Tempurature, Altitude, GPS routing.....

I definitely need something very simple and plain...don't need the gadgets. I'm basically looking for something to track how many kms (miles) I've traveled.

The most basic ones can be had at any sporting goods or mass merchandising store (Dunham's Wal-Mart) and are pretty simple to install.

"Simple" is my kinda word. I'm taking a trip there tomorrow and will update.

itri mentioned "www.mapmyride.com"...that site is great!!! My first thought was, "I doubt they map out Canada" but they do! I was so impressed. :cool: Thanks for mentioning the site.

ski&bfree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe one of you could answer this: I'm having trouble removing my front bike tire. I took out the clasp thingy (?) that holds the tire in place but when I went to pull the tire out, the brake pads were in the way. Is there a way of opening up the brakes and easily removing my tire? Is there something I'm missing?

The reason I ask is because I would like to put the bike in my trunk but the lack of trunk space does not allow me to place it in there w/out one of the tires removed.

Any ideas?

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
[Mod hat on]
While some conversation about sun screen sparked up some good information, it was off topic from this thread. I have pulled the posts regarding sun screen while biking and have made them into their own thread, Here.

[/mod hat off]

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe one of you could answer this: I'm having trouble removing my front bike tire. I took out the clasp thingy (?) that holds the tire in place but when I went to pull the tire out, the brake pads were in the way. Is there a way of opening up the brakes and easily removing my tire? Is there something I'm missing?

The reason I ask is because I would like to put the bike in my trunk but the lack of trunk space does not allow me to place it in there w/out one of the tires removed.

Any ideas?

Hi BFree,

Yes, you have to unhook your brake in order to take the tire off... It's not that hard, but I don't know which type of brake you have. I'll see if I can find a website for you with some instructions. Please stand by.

Cheers,
Connie

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga