• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New to biking

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When you buy shorts be sure to get ones for your intended purpose. Some shorts, usually less expensive, are intended for tri-athletes or spinning classes. The difference is the chamois, which won't be as padded as a chamois meant for extended time on the bike.

Don't order online until you know what feels good to you.

If you don't have gloves they are a must, they help pad the hands and protect them if you fall. Learn how to change your tire and have a small bag to carry tire irons, a tube and a small pump. Some pumps have a hanger to fit by the water bottle cage, that's where I carry mine on my road bike. Many pumps are small enough to put in a hydration pack.

Cycling shoes are a good idea, too. Even if you're using platform pedals they have stiffer bottoms than gym or hiking shoes and help to avoid common cycling issues like "hot foot". Most of them have velcro straps or a strap to tuck the shoe lace into. That way the laces won't get caught in your front chainring.

ski&bfree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When you buy shorts be sure to get ones for your intended purpose. Some shorts, usually less expensive, are intended for tri-athletes or spinning classes. The difference is the chamois, which won't be as padded as a chamois meant for extended time on the bike.

Don't order online until you know what feels good to you.

I hesitate buying anything online anyways. I just like to see the product in front of me.

If you don't have gloves they are a must, they help pad the hands and protect them if you fall. Learn how to change your tire and have a small bag to carry tire irons, a tube and a small pump. Some pumps have a hanger to fit by the water bottle cage, that's where I carry mine on my road bike. Many pumps are small enough to put in a hydration pack.

I didn't even take into consideration the extra tire. Thanks for reminding me.:wink:

----

This may be dumb question, but is there a way of knowing how far you've traveled on your bike while riding it? A contraption of some sort - like a pedometer made for biking?

ski&bfree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
From the picture it looks like the saddle nose is very high. Saddle position should be flat or slightly tilted up/down.

Check out Team Estrogen.com for bicycle clothing and beginner rider information. I think they ship to Canada.

It was very high. I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out. In fact, I don't feel as "bruised" down there as before. I slanted it down a bit and that made a huge difference. Thanks!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This may be dumb question, but is there a way of knowing how far you've traveled on your bike while riding it? A contraption of some sort - like a pedometer made for biking?

There is! It's called a cyclometer. I love having it! :love:

abc

Banned
I didn't even take into consideration the extra tire. Thanks for reminding me
This maybe obvious to you. But maybe not. You only need to carry spare inner tubes, not tires. Although if you have a mountain bike, chance of flat tire is even smaller. And you can just ride the flat tire too.

Most people drive the route and use the car's odometer to know the distance. Unless it's a bike path, that is.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's a guide to bike computers.

https://www.performancebike.com/help/how_to_cycle_computers.cfm

I keep track of every mile I ride using a bike computer, I average 2,500-3,000 miles per year. Some people don't worry about their mileage but it helps me to determine when its time to change tires. Roady tires wear out a lot faster than mtn bike tires, at least they do on my bikes because I'm more of a roady than a mtn biker.

Did you clean and lube your chain before your rode your bike? There's not a lot of maintanance I worry about but keeping my chain clean and free of dirt and rust helps it to last longer.

ski&bfree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Cyclometer..that makes sense! I am learning things as I go along each day!

Is this something that is only sold in certain stores or do you think I can pick one up at my LSS?

ski&bfree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I will definitely be getting one. It's nice to know how many km (miles) you rode.

ski&bfree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well we do have a LBS but it's wayyy on the other side of town. I was hoping to hop into a Dunhams or Sport Check and buy one, but I doubt they have those specialized things.

Jilly

Staff member
Sport chek will not. Do not spend time or money in there. You already know more than their sales staff!

abc

Banned
I disagree. Just about everyone around here has cyclometers.
When you have a $1000 bike, it makes sense to add a $40 cyclecomputer. I wouldn't bother putting it on a 10 speed. I rode for a couple years without one. The distance between towns are usually on the road anyway so getting the milage really isn't all that difficult...

Besides, I consider a cyclecomputer one of the most finicky item to install for the first time.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I had my LBS install for me so I didn't deal with that. And paid about $15 on REI's outlet page for the actual computer. ski&bfree you might check MEC as well.

The point is, she asked if there was a device for knowing that and there is. Personally, I can't get to the routes that I take on my bike via car much of the time.

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I disagree. Just about everyone around here has cyclometers.

Yes, here too... Although, we call them spedometers or odometers or bike computers.

I like to flip through it after my ride to see how far I went, what my average speed was, and the all time favorite... what my max speed was. For some reason, mine is in Kilometers right now instead of Miles and I've just been too lazy to dig out my manual and correct it. Besides, math is fun! :laugh:

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, here too... Although, we call them spedometers or odometers or bike computers.

I like to flip through it after my ride to see how far I went, what my average speed was, and the all time favorite... what my max speed was. For some reason, mine is in Kilometers right now instead of Miles and I've just been too lazy to dig out my manual and correct it. Besides, math is fun! :laugh:

I so need to get one for my bike. I am sure it will be a lot less annoying for my husband too, because I am always asking how far we biked.

I would also be curious to see my average speed per bike ride. I think it would be cool to see my progress in hill climb speed. Right now, I am pretty certain that for really steep climbs, I can walk my bike up the hill faster than I can ride it.

But, just more practice, practice, practice!

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Definitely get a bike computer...you can find some really good deals and your LBS can install it quickly and easily. It's absolutely a necessity for me.

That said, another GREAT tool is www.mapmyride.com. You can plot out your route on a map, and it even has a satellite view if your ride (or run or whatever) is on a trail that's not on the map. I download the data from my Garmin GPS to it.

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Right now, I am pretty certain that for really steep climbs, I can walk my bike up the hill faster than I can ride it.

But, just more practice, practice, practice!

Yeah, I know the feeling... I think I've had hikers pass me on a couple horrible climbs... It's a little deflating, especially when you greet them and they give you this confused look like, "Aren't bikes supposed to be fast?" hahaha

Keep up the good work though, Sheena! And, don't forget to keep having fun!

PS. I think the Diva Carrot is at work here in the Bike Computer section... :carrot: SnowHot would be so proud!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bike computers can be as plain or as fancy as you want. You need to determine what information is important to you....Ave speed, Max speed, Current speed, Elapsed time, and current clock time are the most standard data you'll find. Some of the $$$ ones also clock Heart Rate, Cadence, Tempurature, Altitude, GPS routing.....

The most basic ones can be had at any sporting goods or mass merchandising store (Dunham's Wal-Mart) and are pretty simple to install.

I even track all that information on iBike on my Facebook page (current total mileage for this year is over 300).

The basics that you'll need to carry in a pouch under your seat or in your Camelback:
  • A set of tire levers
  • Patch kit
  • Spare inner tube
  • Mini tool
  • A couple of tie wraps
  • A tiny roll of Duct Tape
  • A whistle
I also carry a pretty extensive first aid kit, sugar tablets/Rice Crispy Treats (I ride with several diabetics), a chain tool and extra chain links, Off wipes, and a small flash light......and I've used almost every single thing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly