• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New terms for Breck lesson pass 2015-2016

mtnrunner

Diva in Training
I've done the Keystone program for two years. It's for all levels and the instructor qualifications range the gamut. I think the level 8 and 9's usually have their pick of instructors or the instructors kind-of "pick" that group. It seems the way instructors are assigned to groups this year changed so I'm not sure how that works anymore. From what I gather about the Breck program the big difference is that with the Keystone deal is that the lesson groups are not just lesson pass holders. I've been in groups where I am the only "non-tourist" and groups where it is all lesson pass holders. If you have any questions about how the program works at Keystone I can try to answer them.

RX2SKI

Certified Ski Diva
Starting to consider Keystone as an option, but I'm a bit spoiled being able to essentially roll out of bed and hop on the slopes.

Bluestsky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@mtnrunner - What was the average size of the group when you've been in the Keystone program? I haven't decided yet whether to take lessons at Breck or Keystone, but know it'll be Thursdays.

Xinga

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think I can count the number of times we started the day with less than 8 students in my level 8/9 groups at Breck on one hand this season. I think the biggest was around 15 students. Typical was more like 8-10. The classes are usually significantly smaller by lunch time... typically lots of attrition throughout the day, particularly when the classes start on the larger side.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@bounceswoosh , how many people are usually in Level 8 & Level 9 classes?

What @Xinga said. Then again, I've had a few classes that started with 3-5 students, too. Not really sure how we pulled that off.

There are certain instructors that are incredibly popular, and often choosing a less well known instructor will give you a smaller group. Then again, that person may also not have been at Breck all that long, and the students might have to lead them around, rather than vice versa ...

I don't remember if I've stated this yet here, so for the record, DH and I plan to sign up for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. DH has a sabbatical next winter. And either I won't be working - so I'll have the time - or I'll be working - so the cost won't be such a big deal, even if I have to miss a lot of them.

RX2SKI

Certified Ski Diva
I emailed the program again and got a response this time:
  • Class size goal: 8-10 which may vary depending on group dynamics
  • Custom groups should have a minimum of 8 members.
  • If you have a minimum of 8 club members who want to form a custom group with a specific pro you can do that for Sundays.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got more info from another participant today. As RX2SKI said, you can actually form a custom group with only 8 (previously they'd said 10). If you have a custom group, they ostensibly won't put someone else in that group with you - so if you have a preferred instructor, you probably want to be sure to get into a custom group, because someone else is probably setting one up.

You can do custom groups any day, not just Thursday-Saturday. But here's an interesting wrinkle: if you sign up for a fourth day, you're back to $350 for that day. I don't know if the fifth day is also $350, or if it's at a reduced rate like the second day.

There was definitely a lot of networking today, and I signed up with a few people who are forming groups for their favorite instructors. But I skied with a new-to-me instructor, Matt Belville - he's apparently the skier in a lot of Breck propaganda, and I've always meant to take a class with him. No time like the present, right?

RX2SKI

Certified Ski Diva
I didn't mean to imply that custom groups were Sunday only--I'm just one of those people that is bummed that Sunday is not one of the normal days now.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks. I've decided to go with Breck. Hope it's going to work.

It will work. It's still a phenomenal deal for lessons. Today was a flurry of networking and sharing phone numbers/emails as we found out that this is the last weekend of the lesson pass - none next week.

RX2SKI

Certified Ski Diva
I figure I'll probably sign up for Saturday, but try to network to start a Sunday group. Really happy for those of you that can ski on Thursday and/or Friday--that's just a commitment I can't make.

I'm actually toying with the idea of the Breckenridge program for Saturdays and Keystone for other days since I know I can swing some Thursdays or Fridays off. Otherwise I might do a 3-day steep or bump clinic at Breckenridge or Winter Park.

I can't believe that I'm already sitting down with a calendar for next winter to see how the dates work out with other commitments. This season hasn't even ended! :smile:

Is the email address for Keystone the same as for Breck?

mtnrunner

Diva in Training
I think today (Keystone's closing) might be the last day to get the Keystone pass at $309. Last year when they sold it in the fall it was only $20 or $30 more depending on when you bought it so really not a big deal.

I can understand why people were upset over the Breck changes but it's still a great deal even if you miss some lessons. If anything there changes will ensure people like me who aren't awesome skiers (slow skiers) and have no idea when they can take off will stay away! Honestly every year I question whether I want to do the Keystone program again cause it ties me to Keystone. I spend a majority of my winter vacation time at Keystone instead of exploring other resorts.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Today was the last day of the current incarnation of the Breck lesson club. It was a weird, slightly melancholy and slightly frantic mood as we were all trying to figure out who to ski with on the very last day we were sure to ski with the instructor of our choice. I saw @RX2SKI , so that was cool. I skied with one of my favorite instructors, Jenn Losch, with a small class, all of whom I've known for years. We had a great time, including a good two hours at the Vista House talking (I semi-jokingly called it a dryland clinic - we did talk in part about skiing technique!). George's Thumb, Whale's Tail, Wonderland, and Boundary Chutes - not a bad end to an era.

RX2SKI

Certified Ski Diva
Was so glad I got to see you, @bounceswoosh . We had a small lesson of 3 people--just enough to share a chair. One person in my group was pretty bummed since she comes over from across the pond for three weeks a year and this gave her people to ski with during her vacation. The other was on the rope whether she would return. It was a great day for us. We hit all five peaks (hoping to win a GoPro) and then dropped into Whale's Tail--the first time I'd dropped in on anything in over 2 decades. :becky:

Spoke to a few instructors and program members:
  • Found out that initially Breckenridge was not going to make any changes to the program except raise the price to $1400/season. (So, all things considered, I'm glad they didn't choose that option. )
  • They opted to cut out Sunday since there was only 12% utilization.
  • Class size minimum was changed to 8 (for custom classes).
  • John Buhler, the person that started the whole lesson program, will become the COO of Breckenridge this summer. (https://news.vailresorts.com/corporate/vail-resorts-mountain-division-leadership-changes.htm)
  • Suggested to communicate your concerns in person or on phone and then follow up with a letter.
  • If you're looking for a custom group (such as Level 8 on Sunday), give the office that information with your contact information.
  • I was also told another email went out over the weekend, but I did not receive it. Did anyone else get one?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Was so glad I got to see you, @bounceswoosh . We had a small lesson of 3 people--just enough to share a chair. One person in my group was pretty bummed since she comes over from across the pond for three weeks a year and this gave her people to ski with during her vacation. The other was on the rope whether she would return. It was a great day for us. We hit all five peaks (hoping to win a GoPro) and then dropped into Whale's Tail--the first time I'd dropped in on anything in over 2 decades. :becky:

Spoke to a few instructors and program members:
  • Found out that initially Breckenridge was not going to make any changes to the program except raise the price to $1400/season. (So, all things considered, I'm glad they didn't choose that option. )
  • They opted to cut out Sunday since there was only 12% utilization.
  • Class size minimum was changed to 8 (for custom classes).
  • John Buhler, the person that started the whole lesson program, will become the COO of Breckenridge this summer. (https://news.vailresorts.com/corporate/vail-resorts-mountain-division-leadership-changes.htm)
  • Suggested to communicate your concerns in person or on phone and then follow up with a letter.
  • If you're looking for a custom group (such as Level 8 on Sunday), give the office that information with your contact information.
  • I was also told another email went out over the weekend, but I did not receive it. Did anyone else get one?

Whale's Tail is great! You can choose the intensity of cornice you want to brave, and then everything below is smooth sailing. The last few days, my favorite spot has actually been the non-corniced area between George's Thumb and the cornice. It's called shadow something because it stays shaded ... shadowbox? shadowcanyon? shadowsomething. The snow has been wonderful on it.

I've been trying to set up custom groups. DH calls it "high school with ski poles." Everyone is trying to angle for the best groups. Of course some people have decided not to do it at all.

Honestly, if they'd left the program as-is but made it $1400 - I would have been better with that. It would still be a wicked good deal for as often as I use it, and I wouldn't be frantically trying to set up groups.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna