• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New Skis? Former Racer

_steener

Diva in Training
Hey gals!

I'm looking at moving onto a new set of skis, but I'm not even sure where to start looking. I've been on Atomic race skis since I was 11, so the idea of moving away from the race models can be intimidating.

When I've gone into the stores that are close-ish to me, they've been pushing me towards really soft women's skis, which don't fit my style of skiing at all. I'm very aggressive (surprising from a racer...I know:laughter:)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I've gone into the stores that are close-ish to me, they've been pushing me towards really soft women's skis, which don't fit my style of skiing at all.

:doh:

_steener

Diva in Training
5'5, 160lbs (and shrinking), skiing mainly in Ontario right now, but also want to be able to ski B.C. ways, and Vermont (trips in the near future)

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
5'5, 160lbs (and shrinking), skiing mainly in Ontario right now, but also want to be able to ski B.C. ways, and Vermont (trips in the near future)

Do you want just one ski or are you wanting a couple? (wait ... one pair, or a couple pairs?) Are you still skiing any of your race skis, and want to add a wider one? or looking for something that can do everything?

Two that come to mind as wider skis that still handle the groomed really well are Volkl 90Eight and Blizzard Samba. A Kastle FX85, even the HP (with metal), might be super nice, too.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@pinto why not a Kaestle MX85 ? I have heard MX is more carvy, FX more freeridey?

Jilly

Staff member
As a former racer you still want a stiff ski. As an instructor I'm working with the same approach. My current daily driver is the Rossi Hero ST Carbon. They changed that this year to the AT Carbon, 74mm under foot. It's basically a tuned down race ski. A lot of the ladies here ski totally out west. That type of ski would be useless really here on 250' hill like Chicopee. Even for Collingwood. 75-80 underfoot would suffice.

Others I looked at: Atomic Cloud 11, Blizzard SRC, Dynastar Pro Elite, Salomon W-Max 12. I see a lot of the instructors on Head up at Tremblant, but not sure which model but Rally, not the Joy line.

Can you get to a demo day in the Barrie or Collingwood area? Not sure that Chicopee would have one. That would be your best bet.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I LOVE my Atomic Cloud 11's they are one step down from the Redsters. the Redster is the fastest ski I've skied but not a big sweet spot and must stay on them at all times. The Cloud 11 goes just as fast but seems like a bigger sweet spot so more relaxing to ski for every day front side carver..

another Awesome carver race type ski I liked the Blizzard 7.5's are also fun fast carvers.

Hope you get to demo some choices :-)

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Assuming little has changed in the past 3 years (other than losing the sugarbowl lift), Chicopee only has a demo day at the end of the season, and I only remember Head and Atomic reps being there.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As a former racer you still want a stiff ski. As an instructor I'm working with the same approach. My current daily driver is the Rossi Hero ST Carbon. They changed that this year to the AT Carbon, 74mm under foot. It's basically a tuned down race ski. A lot of the ladies here ski totally out west. That type of ski would be useless really here on 250' hill like Chicopee. Even for Collingwood. 75-80 underfoot would suffice. ...

Yeah I should have been more clear about the side of the quiver I was discussing. Didn't know if there was already a pair of slalom skis for the Ontario skiing, and then the new ones were to be used for skiing elsewhere in more off-pistey conditions.

Jilly

Staff member
@pinto - which is exactly why SkiBam and I have 2 ski quivers. A slalom type ski for daily skiing and a wider ski for good snow days or out west trips.

On another note, I don't think I've seen too many Kastle's around here. I know our local store doesn't carry them. But I don't think I've seen them at Tremblant either. Not sure I want to ski with the toilet bowl in front of me anyways!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna