• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New Skis - A Love Story

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
OK, I did it -- I bought new skis in TSV this week. As I mentioned in a previous post, I had planned this trip specifically to demo several skis I was interested in, but I discovered that none of the ski shops in TSV had very much of a selection to demo OR purchase (supply chain issues, models sold out, limited sizes, etc), and the price range for demos (full-day, with switches allowed) ranged from $49 (Le Ski Mastery) to $55 (Cottam's) to $75 (Taos Ski Shop and Boot Doctors). Although they all deducted the price of the demo from a purchase, to be able to try all, or even some of the skis I was interested in was looking pretty pricey. The only ones on my list (and in my size) that were available among the various shops were Sheeva 9, Volkl Yumi, Santa Ana 88, Elan Ripstick 94, and Atomic Maven 86. The Volkl Blaze 94 or 86 were not available in my size anywhere, which was a big bummer, as that was the ski I was most interested in.

So...I started out at Le Ski Mastery, as they actually had two of those I was most interested in available, the Yumi (148) and the Sheeva 9 (148). The first one I tried was the Yumi, which I really liked a lot. I found them to be much more flexible and lighter than I expected, turned well, and handled pretty well in the bumps. They chattered a bit on fast downhills, but not much, and they were pretty stable. I skied them for about 1-2 hrs.

Next came the Sheeva 9 (which I had tried before, in Sugar Mtn, but the conditions were terrible and they were too long), and I fell in love! I skied them on almost the exact same places as the Yumi, and I noted that they were even lighter than the Yumi, very flexible, and I found I could turn them on a dime! They didn't chatter on the downhills, and I found myself doing bumps that I never would have even looked at with my old Volkl Sol skis! They also gripped well in the few icy patches and crud I could find; I tried to find some powder, but it was mostly skied-on by Monday (I could only find some about 4-5" deep on the edges of some trails), but they seemed to do pretty well with it.

After spending the rest of the day on the Sheeva 9, and considering how much I enjoyed them, I decided they were the ones, and rather than spend another $50 - 150 on additional demos, I decided to talk to Peggy in Le Ski Mastery (it was Alain's day off) about a purchase. It turned out they had no new models available, so she offered me an excellent deal on those I had demo'd (which were in great shape), including new Warden 11 bindings swapped-out from the demo bindings, the discount for the demo, and a full tune, for $730! So these are my new skis for now, and I think I'll be very happy with them. :ski:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Great choice! I’m in Tahoe now and mine are tuned and ready for Taos..

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Shhh!!! Keep it quiet. I’m hoping there’s a slightly longer Sheeva 9 remaining, in the event of powder, for me to demo during Ski Week early Feb.
There might be at Boot Doctors, and/or at Taos Ski Shop. They're pretty popular, but not at 148 cm, unfortunately.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
When skis are fun . . . buy them! Le Ski Mastery is the best. I lasted two days before I bought my Stormrider 85s from Alain.
Haha - he tried to steer me to Stockli, but I told him they were out of my budget range. I mentioned your name to him - he knew you right away. Told him we were all coming up in a few weeks.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Haha - he tried to steer me to Stockli, but I told him they were out of my budget range. I mentioned your name to him - he knew you right away. Told him we were all coming up in a few weeks.
Definitely better not to demo Stöckli skis if you know buying a pair is out of the question. :smile:

First time I demo'd them was in PA at a free demo day at Whitetail. Didn't think there was any way I could handle the Laser SC that my Massanutten instructor has been using for years. Turned out they were really fun. Then the rep asked me to try the Stormrider 85, which was new that season. When I got to Taos the first time, I went into Le Ski Mastery first just because of the shop's location. Had no idea that it's one of the biggest Stöckli dealers in the country.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Definitely better not to demo Stöckli skis if you know buying a pair is out of the question. :smile:
Exactly! I knew if I tried them I just might like them!
When I got to Taos the first time, I went into Le Ski Mastery first just because of the shop's location. Had no idea that it's one of the biggest Stöckli dealers in the country.
Yes, he definitely had a good selection of them. BTW, their new shop is smaller, but just off the Plaza, near the ice cream shop, so it's much more convenient to get to.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I really can't believe how much easier it is to ski them than my Volkl Sola. I really loved them, but now I know how nuch I've outgrown them, and how much I think they've been holding me back!

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I'm finally allowing myself to demo Stocklis from Le Ski Mastery. I've never touched them because I was afraid it would be true love. I'm also interested in the Dynastar MPro90s. The Boot Doctor has them for demo. Read so many good things about them so I'm intrigued.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm finally allowing myself to demo Stocklis from Le Ski Mastery. I've never touched them because I was afraid it would be true love. I'm also interested in the Dynastar MPro90s. The Boot Doctor has them for demo. Read so many good things about them so I'm intrigued.
I had fun on the MPro90, although I did feel the length I tried was a bit long for me and I had trouble with short turns.
Demo notes: "Dynastar M-Pro 90 162- very solid. Likes speed, likes to be driven. Suspect I would struggle off piste and on moguls, similar to my life on Kenjas. Didn't really see any ice with these. Relook in slush/crud - very different feel, tip rocker means you end up going more over rather than through, exacerbated by backseat driving, hard to do short turns on ?length vs flatter tail"

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I really need to write much better demo notes! I've also demoed the mpro 90 in the 162 length. (5'3/115lb) Think it was just on choppy groomers. My notes were "Smooth, relaxing to ski, quite a bit of rocker, easy to pivot, not so energetic"

The lack of energy is in comparison to the Santa Ana 88 which i was otherwise skiing that day. I find it to be a particularly energetic ski (springy out of turns) so most other skis feel less energetic in direct comparison, haha.

I also tried the mpro 99 but that really was too long for me (they only had it in 170....), i found it a bit more tiring to ski!

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Everytime I demo skis, I end up buying new skis. You really have to hold your ground with Stockli and Alain ;)
I fell for the Laser AX just to do a lesson with Alain and I just bought the Nela 88...but after spending enough time with Alain on the slopes, he knows exactly what I like and need. My Kastles have been sitting around since the AX and I feel guilty for not using them anymore!
Enjoy your new skis!

Bookworm

Angel Diva
Everytime I demo skis, I end up buying new skis. You really have to hold your ground with Stockli and Alain ;)
I fell for the Laser AX just to do a lesson with Alain and I just bought the Nela 88...but after spending enough time with Alain on the slopes, he knows exactly what I like and need. My Kastles have been sitting around since the AX and I feel guilty for not using them anymore!
Enjoy your new skis!
@Susan L
Did you try the ARs?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna