• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New Blizzard Black Pearl 2025

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree with @AJM that you might want to try out skis in longer lengths as you will have much more stability. I am 5' 2" and depending on the ski I enjoy lengths anywhere from the low 150s up to around 165 if they have a lot of rocker and softer construction. If you're nervous about jumping up in length so much I would recommend at least trying something in the upper 140s at a minimum to start.
or low to mid 150

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
First and foremost, I have a lot to learn. I need to take some lessons so that I get through a slope with moguls. I also need to learn how to navigate through powder… this would be a rarity for me but a necessary skill to have. My goal is to be able to ski across the mtn and not stress if the terrain will be hazardous. I have only skied skied Mammoth Mtn but would like to venture to the Co Rockies confidently :-)
With that, I would like a skin that is still forgiving but stable. My favorite type of skiing is in the morning on corduroy, carving down the mtn. Later in the afternoon, the crud can get underfoot and can jar me for a moment. It wasn’t until had that bad fall that I became a little more cautious and aware that bumps could greatly sway me off balance. My current skis are really light… I don’t know any different. I like skiing from morning to afternoon… I am a runner also.
I plan on skiing mostly on groomed runs but there are times where I go on the ungroomed on the backside of the mountain or just because my group is going down these. Right now, the black runs I go down are only groomed. Short narrow trails also make me nervous… another skill I need in my tool box. Does this info help?
I'm also thinking the Head Absolute Joy, in my mind it seems like the natural progression and at 80 underfoot not quite such a big jump as say the Volkl Blaze or Yumi. You could try the BP's in an 84, you never know they might be great for you.

Another idea is to get that lesson and ask the instructor what they would recommend for you based on your skill level and your goals.

Great to hear the boots are good :love:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, I got to do a demo day yesterday and got on the 2025 BP 88 and they were hands-down my favorite ski of the day. I'm working hard to get my hands on a pair to finish out the season. The addition of the metal in strips added a level of smoothness and quietness to this ski without making it less accessible. The rocker lines make it extremely playful, yet I could vary the turn shape with ease and maneuver in soft, lumpy crud without ever getting the tips or tails caught up. I'd say they are a nice compromise between "hard-charging crud-buster" and "playful, light, not-so-stable crud navigator" if that makes sense. This is exactly what I've been looking for--a ski that splits the difference because flat light messes with me more than ever, and I need a ski that I can ski more slowly and cautiously on in flat light. The shape of this ski also tells me it will be really good in powder. We don't get more than about 1 run of untracked powder anymore anyway, so a wider ski just becomes cumbersome once things are tracked out.

Other skis I took out were the Santa Ana 92 (unfortunately they did not have the 87 on hand), Secret 88, Rossi Nova 10, Fischer Curve GT 76, Fischer Ranger 90. There weren't a lot of skis narrower than 90 under foot there, and the ones that they did have were too short. I should have taken the Santa Ana 92s out again as the groomers got cut up and softer (the snow was fabulous! We were at Beaver Mt in Utah.)

I skied the BP in a 164, which felt perfect. I ski the Sheeva 9 in a 168, for reference, which also feels perfect.

MissySki

Angel Diva
So, I got to do a demo day yesterday and got on the 2025 BP 88 and they were hands-down my favorite ski of the day. I'm working hard to get my hands on a pair to finish out the season. The addition of the metal in strips added a level of smoothness and quietness to this ski without making it less accessible. The rocker lines make it extremely playful, yet I could vary the turn shape with ease and maneuver in soft, lumpy crud without ever getting the tips or tails caught up. I'd say they are a nice compromise between "hard-charging crud-buster" and "playful, light, not-so-stable crud navigator" if that makes sense. This is exactly what I've been looking for--a ski that splits the difference because flat light messes with me more than ever, and I need a ski that I can ski more slowly and cautiously on in flat light. The shape of this ski also tells me it will be really good in powder. We don't get more than about 1 run of untracked powder anymore anyway, so a wider ski just becomes cumbersome once things are tracked out.

Other skis I took out were the Santa Ana 92 (unfortunately they did not have the 87 on hand), Secret 88, Rossi Nova 10, Fischer Curve GT 76, Fischer Ranger 90. There weren't a lot of skis narrower than 90 under foot there, and the ones that they did have were too short. I should have taken the Santa Ana 92s out again as the groomers got cut up and softer (the snow was fabulous! We were at Beaver Mt in Utah.)

I skied the BP in a 164, which felt perfect. I ski the Sheeva 9 in a 168, for reference, which also feels perfect.
Did you get to ski the new BP 94? I was so blown away by them!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Did you get to ski the new BP 94? I was so blown away by them!
No. They didn't have them. I was mostly wanting to get on narrower than 90 anyway so I don't know that I'd have taken them out anyway.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How do they compare feel-wise to last year's model, for anyone that has skied both?

MissySki

Angel Diva
No. They didn't have them. I was mostly wanting to get on narrower than 90 anyway so I don't know that I'd have taken them out anyway.
Ah well they are fantastic if you ever get the chance. I’ve never really liked the Samba or widest Black Pearl when it changed to that.. always felt too demanding and stiff. But they somehow kept this new model a charger yet made them playful too.. sort of like your description of the 88. That perfect hybrid between strong and playful that’s so hard to find. Zero chatter at high speeds, no slip on ice, carved like a dream, so easy to enter and exit turns, forgiving of lapses in balance.. I will definitely be getting a pair when I am able! They even excelled in completely scraped off icy bumps.. words I’ve never uttered about any ski before. Lol

If they are good in powder, which I also suspect will be the case.. it might be my new daily driver and take West ski.

The 164 also felt perfect to me for length.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Less demanding, more maneuverable. Lighter without giving up smoothness and stability.
Really... huh it seems like they added more metal from last year so I would have thought that would make them more demanding. Interesting. I did feel like last year's felt very groomer oriented. They did a lot of things well that my race skis do well (good edge grip, good tail pop, damp, didn't feel like they had a ton of rocker), which is why I didn't get them. Maybe adding more rocker back in (I'm assuming from what I've read about them) makes them feel more easy going?

Reactions: AJM

MissySki

Angel Diva
Really... huh it seems like they added more metal from last year so I would have thought that would make them more demanding. Interesting. I did feel like last year's felt very groomer oriented. They did a lot of things well that my race skis do well (good edge grip, good tail pop, damp, didn't feel like they had a ton of rocker), which is why I didn't get them. Maybe adding more rocker back in (I'm assuming from what I've read about them) makes them feel more easy going?
The metal is in strips in different layers.. one down the middle that seems widest and then one along each edge. The idea is not have the full sheet of metal attached to each other in one wide strip allows for strength/stability underfoot but actually reduces the torsional rigidity a bit to make it more easygoing. At least that’s about the gist of what I was told.. and whether it’s that that does it or not fully, it is how they feel. Which is pretty cool!

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Its the tail rocker that appeals to me. I was always getting hooked up in the back on the 2nd to previous model esp off piste.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The BPs have never had metal except under foot IIRC, and it was the one piece I always felt was missing. I had a feeling I'd like this version, but was skeptical and the minute I took two turns, I was off like a rocket. I took them out two more times (much to the annoyance of the rep HA HA) just to make sure it wasn't just a fluke that I'd skied them back-to-back with a ski that I wasn't as smitten with. It wasn't a fluke.

I would like to ski the 94s back to back with the Sheeva 9s.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The BPs have never had metal except under foot IIRC, and it was the one piece I always felt was missing. I had a feeling I'd like this version, but was skeptical and the minute I took two turns, I was off like a rocket. I took them out two more times (much to the annoyance of the rep HA HA) just to make sure it wasn't just a fluke that I'd skied them back-to-back with a ski that I wasn't as smitten with. It wasn't a fluke.

I would like to ski the 94s back to back with the Sheeva 9s.
I still consider metal underfoot metal, even if that's the only place, but I'm also only 95 lbs. lol It doesn't take a lot to make a ski too burly for me. I always get nervous when they start adding lots of metal to a ski I like.

Ironically, the more my skiing has improved, the less stiff I like my skis overall. Although, my kiddie race skis have a titanal sheet that runs the full length of the ski as well as graphene.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The metal is in strips in different layers.. one down the middle that seems widest and then one along each edge. The idea is not have the full sheet of metal attached to each other in one wide strip allows for strength/stability underfoot but actually reduces the torsional rigidity a bit to make it more easygoing. At least that’s about the gist of what I was told.. and whether it’s that that does it or not fully, it is how they feel. Which is pretty cool!
Torsional or longitudinal (tip to tail)? Can a ski have too much torsional stiffness? Doesn't that generally help with edge grip?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I still consider metal underfoot metal, even if that's the only place, but I'm also only 95 lbs. lol It doesn't take a lot to make a ski too burly for me. I always get nervous when they start adding lots of metal to a ski I like.

Ironically, the more my skiing has improved, the less stiff I like my skis overall. Although, my kiddie race skis have a titanal sheet that runs the full length of the ski as well
Apparently the metal was a "binding reinforcement" piece.
Torsional or longitudinal (tip to tail)? Can a ski have too much torsional stiffness? Doesn't that generally help with edge grip?
Torsional in the tips and tails, it allows for the ski to be less stiff in those areas while still maintaining stiffness under foot.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Apparently the metal was a "binding reinforcement" piece.
Is this different than the titanal band underfoot that they added to the Yumis years and years ago? Because I had both the all wood Yumi and the titanal band underfoot version and (at least at my size) I could feel the difference.

mustski

Angel Diva
I've never been a fan of the BP but, reading this, I am now intrigued.

@Iamcindycollins Another Mammoth skier here. Welcome! Mammoth snow can be really dense and heavy and the crud can be difficult to maneuver for the best of us. I actually recommend a wider ski for Mammoth. On a perfect groomer day, the narrow skis are FUN! However, a good part of the time, the afternoons are cut up snow which can be tail catchy. Mammoth has a pretty good demo selection at main lodge and you can pay a flat fee and switch out skis all day long. Then if you decide to buy the ski, the demo charge is applied to the sale. They won't have 2025s for demo until next year, but you could try out some different widths to see what feels good. The trick is to try all the skis on the same few runs so it's a fair comparison. If something makes you grin, you can buy it a discounted rate in spring.

Posse Mama

Certified Ski Diva
How do they compare feel-wise to last year's model, for anyone that has skied both?
The difference is underfoot. The new model is more stable underfoot, the front/shovel is still very steerable. Several friends who are long time fans of the BP liked the change and felt that it came back underfoot slightly quicker. Two friends who are "petite" liked the change and did not find it demanding.

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@contesstant How would you compare the 2025 BP 88 to your 2024 Sheevas? I know the new BP line takes some design from the Sheevas. Would you say they added some of that playfulness?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna