• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New Blizzard Black Pearl 2025

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So ladies this is the main reason I didnt pull the trigger on the Volkl Blaze !!

When I realised I could no longer ski my Sheeva 9's I asked the girls in our local ski shop why they didnt make a Sheeva 8 to which they replied "we cant see that happening".
Fast forward a few weeks and they were demoing the 2025 Black Pearls and promptly said "Well here's Ali's Sheeva 8 :laughter:"

I dont know much about them only that they ski quite differently to the current BP's so much so that its hard to imagine they are a BP .
Some of you may remember that I loved my old BPs but hated the newer models so I have high hopes that these will be just what I'm after.

I'll be demoing in about 6 months :yahoo:

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ski Essentials has already posted a review for anyone interested

Oooh thanks for finding this, its the increased tip and tail rocker that is appealing to me as I found the last model I skied got hooked up in the tail so I'm hoping this one will have more manoeuvrability, interesting that the new ones look to have less camber as well.
The only reason I havent preordered is that I just want to make sure they are going to offer more to me than my current K2's which although are a COMPLETELY different ski were a ton of fun last season and hey "why fix it if it aint broken???"
Anyhow I'm super excited to try them :ski:

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm the opposite where I love the newer model of the BP and own the 21/22 version but I've never skied the earlier versions of it so I can't say whether or not I would prefer the older model compared to the current version. After demoing a fair amount of skis over the past couple of years, I've learned I tend to prefer skis with flatter tails and not too much rocker overall unless I'm skiing in powder. These days I spend the majority of time on my Redster X9 which is 100% camber and on the east coast US in firm conditions so I think that likely influences my preferences. Going from a stiff pure camber ski to a much softer and rockered ski can be a bit unsettling at times unless you're in powder/moguls lol (which I love in those situations). That being said, I am excited to see they're putting metal throughout the length of the ski and I do think the increased rocker profile will be a preferred change for the majority of skiers out there. I think it'll definitely be a nice middle ground for those looking for something between the current version of the BP and the Sheeva.

Also excited to try them (and the new updated version of the Sheeva too!) :bounce:

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Love the new graphics; perhaps they have finally constructed a Black Pearl I will like....time will tell!

Reactions: AJM

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm the opposite where I love the newer model of the BP and own the 21/22 version but I've never skied the earlier versions of it so I can't say whether or not I would prefer the older model compared to the current version. After demoing a fair amount of skis over the past couple of years, I've learned I tend to prefer skis with flatter tails and not too much rocker overall unless I'm skiing in powder. These days I spend the majority of time on my Redster X9 which is 100% camber and on the east coast US in firm conditions so I think that likely influences my preferences. Going from a stiff pure camber ski to a much softer and rockered ski can be a bit unsettling at times unless you're in powder/moguls lol (which I love in those situations). That being said, I am excited to see they're putting metal throughout the length of the ski and I do think the increased rocker profile will be a preferred change for the majority of skiers out there. I think it'll definitely be a nice middle ground for those looking for something between the current version of the BP and the Sheeva.

Also excited to try them (and the new updated version of the Sheeva too!) :bounce:
I had the 2023 version of Sheeva which I truly loved but with the 2024 one coming in wider underfoot it wasnt an option for me anymore.
I'm hoping this new BP 88 will be ok width wise as I would like to have an All Mtn daily driver that is a little wider than my K2 85's, I am a little concerned about the added weight the metal will contribute and whether my new normal knees will cope, I guess I'll find out in June/July and I do love a bit of rocker.

Iamcindycollins

Diva in Training
So ladies this is the main reason I didnt pull the trigger on the Volkl Blaze !!

When I realised I could no longer ski my Sheeva 9's I asked the girls in our local ski shop why they didnt make a Sheeva 8 to which they replied "we cant see that happening".
Fast forward a few weeks and they were demoing the 2025 Black Pearls and promptly said "Well here's Ali's Sheeva 8 :laughter:"

I dont know much about them only that they ski quite differently to the current BP's so much so that its hard to imagine they are a BP .
Some of you may remember that I loved my old BPs but hated the newer models so I have high hopes that these will be just what I'm after.

I'll be demoing in about 6 months :yahoo:
Are you going to demo the bp 84? Or 88?
I am thinking about trying them… I am uncertain about length though, just an intermediate

Iamcindycollins

Diva in Training
I am 101lbs, 5’3”
An intermediate skier… I can’t ski moguls yet but can go down groomed blacks… my current skis are beginner (Head easy joy, 143) and great for carving but get shaky in crud. I have ptsd from a bad mogul fall and this confused me me when going through powder hills…
Still have to learn that! Should I keep my beginner skis to learn this or upgrade for more stability?

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am 101lbs, 5’3”
An intermediate skier… I can’t ski moguls yet but can go down groomed blacks… my current skis are beginner (Head easy joy, 143) and great for carving but get shaky in crud. I have ptsd from a bad mogul fall and this confused me me when going through powder hills…
Still have to learn that! Should I keep my beginner skis to learn this or upgrade for more stability?
Okay so my first thought is that your current ski's are too short and that will be causing stability issues for you. I'm 5'5' (ish) and my "happy' length is around 159cm and up to 164cm depending on how much tip and tail rocker they have. My Sheeva 9's are 164 and my old BP 88's were 159. My current ski's are the K2 Mindbender 85s in 156, this is due to my coming off injury last season and wanting a shorter, softer, lighter ski to enable me to get back on the horse so to speak. In saying that, I found them great in nearly all conditions I skied them and they were a ton of fun.
I'll be demoing the new BP 88s in the 158cm but to be honest unless they WOW me I'll be sticking to my Mindbenders.
Jumping from the Head Easy Joys to the BPs will be quite the change of scene for you not only in width but also in stiffness so I would recommend you try and demo if you can.
There is so much that goes into to choosing the perfect ski not just height, weight and ability but also where do you ski and what are the conditions you usually ski as well.
Hopefully someone else will chime in and have some great suggestions xx

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree with @AJM that you might want to try out skis in longer lengths as you will have much more stability. I am 5' 2" and depending on the ski I enjoy lengths anywhere from the low 150s up to around 165 if they have a lot of rocker and softer construction. If you're nervous about jumping up in length so much I would recommend at least trying something in the upper 140s at a minimum to start.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am 101lbs, 5’3”
Also agree with the other divas that you might want to try out longer lengths for stability. I'm 5'2 on 154 Volkl Yumis. A couple of weeks ago I demo'ed the Blizzard Sheeva 9 in 162 and with the amount of tip and tail rocker it had, I felt it skied well for me. For going down run as steep as blacks should be, you'd benefit from added stability length will give you.

Iamcindycollins

Diva in Training
Okay so my first thought is that your current ski's are too short and that will be causing stability issues for you. I'm 5'5' (ish) and my "happy' length is around 159cm and up to 164cm depending on how much tip and tail rocker they have. My Sheeva 9's are 164 and my old BP 88's were 159. My current ski's are the K2 Mindbender 85s in 156, this is due to my coming off injury last season and wanting a shorter, softer, lighter ski to enable me to get back on the horse so to speak. In saying that, I found them great in nearly all conditions I skied them and they were a ton of fun.
I'll be demoing the new BP 88s in the 158cm but to be honest unless they WOW me I'll be sticking to my Mindbenders.
Jumping from the Head Easy Joys to the BPs will be quite the change of scene for you not only in width but also in stiffness so I would recommend you try and demo if you can.
There is so much that goes into to choosing the perfect ski not just height, weight and ability but also where do you ski and what are the conditions you usually ski as well.
Hopefully someone else will chime in and have some great suggestions xx
Do you have a few skis to recommend that might be better for me?

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you have a few skis to recommend that might be better for me?
We'd need to know a bit more info such as -
Where do you ski?
What conditions do you ski the most ie hardpack, powder etc ?
What conditions would you like to be able to ski and realistically how often would you ski these conditions ?
What are you wanting to achieve from the new ski's , better carving performance, more float in deep snow, moguls and tree's ... ?
Do you want a ski thats confidence inspiring or a ski that may challenge you ?

I only ask these questions as there are a TON of ski's out there and the answers will enable us to narrow down your options so you can make an educated buying decision or a list of what you might want to demo.

Just as an example, I would LOVE to be better at powder skiing but we get it so infrequently that it would be a total waste of money for me to invest. Instead I lean towards an All Mtn ski in the mid to late 80's underfoot and use technique (not great technique but its gets me through :laughter: ) on the rare powder days we get.

How are your boots fitting? They, in my mind and many others here, are the single most important piece of equipment you can have.

Looking forward to hearing your answers :smile:

Iamcindycollins

Diva in Training
We'd need to know a bit more info such as -
Where do you ski?
What conditions do you ski the most ie hardpack, powder etc ?
What conditions would you like to be able to ski and realistically how often would you ski these conditions ?
What are you wanting to achieve from the new ski's , better carving performance, more float in deep snow, moguls and tree's ... ?
Do you want a ski thats confidence inspiring or a ski that may challenge you ?

I only ask these questions as there are a TON of ski's out there and the answers will enable us to narrow down your options so you can make an educated buying decision or a list of what you might want to demo.

Just as an example, I would LOVE to be better at powder skiing but we get it so infrequently that it would be a total waste of money for me to invest. Instead I lean towards an All Mtn ski in the mid to late 80's underfoot and use technique (not great technique but its gets me through :laughter: ) on the rare powder days we get.

How are your boots fitting? They, in my mind and many others here, are the single most important piece of equipment you can have.

Looking forward to hearing your answers :smile:
First and foremost, I have a lot to learn. I need to take some lessons so that I get through a slope with moguls. I also need to learn how to navigate through powder… this would be a rarity for me but a necessary skill to have. My goal is to be able to ski across the mtn and not stress if the terrain will be hazardous. I have only skied skied Mammoth Mtn but would like to venture to the Co Rockies confidently :-)
With that, I would like a skin that is still forgiving but stable. My favorite type of skiing is in the morning on corduroy, carving down the mtn. Later in the afternoon, the crud can get underfoot and can jar me for a moment. It wasn’t until had that bad fall that I became a little more cautious and aware that bumps could greatly sway me off balance. My current skis are really light… I don’t know any different. I like skiing from morning to afternoon… I am a runner also.
I plan on skiing mostly on groomed runs but there are times where I go on the ungroomed on the backside of the mountain or just because my group is going down these. Right now, the black runs I go down are only groomed. Short narrow trails also make me nervous… another skill I need in my tool box. Does this info help?

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
First and foremost, I have a lot to learn. I need to take some lessons so that I get through a slope with moguls. I also need to learn how to navigate through powder… this would be a rarity for me but a necessary skill to have. My goal is to be able to ski across the mtn and not stress if the terrain will be hazardous. I have only skied skied Mammoth Mtn but would like to venture to the Co Rockies confidently :-)
With that, I would like a skin that is still forgiving but stable. My favorite type of skiing is in the morning on corduroy, carving down the mtn. Later in the afternoon, the crud can get underfoot and can jar me for a moment. It wasn’t until had that bad fall that I became a little more cautious and aware that bumps could greatly sway me off balance. My current skis are really light… I don’t know any different. I like skiing from morning to afternoon… I am a runner also.
I plan on skiing mostly on groomed runs but there are times where I go on the ungroomed on the backside of the mountain or just because my group is going down these. Right now, the black runs I go down are only groomed. Short narrow trails also make me nervous… another skill I need in my tool box. Does this info help?
The Easy Joy is narrow, short, and soft. I'm guessing it gets thrown around a bit in the crud. If you like the Easy Joy, you could look at another Joy, like Absolut (80mm). Nordica Wild Belle is very damp in the crud and a good carver, but it'll be much heavier than you're used to, and 84mm is going to be a big jump in width from 70mm (assuming your Easy Joy is the same specs as current). I have the Elan Wildcat 76, which is apparently a little stiffer than the Absolut Joy but not by much.

If you normally ski Mammoth, I'm guessing you'll have a very hard time finding anything to demo that's narrower than 85mm (that's certainly the case in Tahoe).

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My boots fit nicely… no complaints, ankle flexion is good, fits snug.
This is great to hear, a good fit is so important for good control! My liners are starting the pack out after 60-ish days and I was experiencing a little heel slip, but my fitter put in some extra foam in that area that snugged it right back up.

My favorite type of skiing is in the morning on corduroy, carving down the mtn. Later in the afternoon, the crud can get underfoot and can jar me for a moment. It wasn’t until had that bad fall that I became a little more cautious and aware that bumps could greatly sway me off balance. My current skis are really light… I don’t know any different. I like skiing from morning to afternoon… I am a runner also.
I think you and I are very similar here. I am definitely better on groomed terrain, and have only this season started figuring out more off-piste / ungroomed territory. 3D snow really freaked me out because I got bounced around -> that caused the anxiety put me into the backseat -> which made my tails get stuck very easily -> and then turning was therefore difficult. It was a chain reaction. I really have to remind myself to keep my hips more open and not hunch forward, but actually be forward.

I also like lighter skis - maybe give the Volkl Yumis a try? As I said, I'm just an inch shorter, but 10 pounds heavier. I ski them in a 154.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna