• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New Blizzard Black Pearl 2025

KBee

Angel Diva
Interesting. I just bought a pair this year, and they're too sloppy at speed and on steeps. Maybe should have waited.

kkclimb

Certified Ski Diva
Did you get to ski the new BP 94? I was so blown away by them!
@MissySki Did you ski both the 2025 BP 94 and 88? I've been pretty happy on my Atomic Vantage 96, but will probably soon relegate these to rock skis and thinking about purchasing something less wide to work on moguls and carving. I was inspired to improve by all of the Divas and their graceful skiing in Steamboat! @DebbieSue has convinced me I should do a ski week at Taos next year - would the 94 be too wide to work on moguls there, should I be looking for something more in the 88 range? Or even more narrow?

MissySki

Angel Diva
I did ski both the 88 and 94.. I preferred the 94, in fact it was my top demo of the two days and I plan to buy them in the fall when they come out. BUT it’s always good to demo yourself when available to see what you like best since we all like different things. I found the 94 a little more playful while being a total rockstar everywhere.

When I was in Taos last season, I brought the Blaze 86 that I also had at Steamboat this year. But for example @lisamamot skied the Santa Ana 93 there and was happy with the width to my knowledge. I learned to really carve on my 92 underfoot Sheeva 9s for whatever reason.. but narrower would certainly work too and many would say is a better option to work on that skill in particular. A narrow ski I really liked, if you want more suggestions lol, was the Kastle MX 74x :smile: You are already an advanced versatile skier, so I think it comes down most to what you end up liking and feeling most comfortable and confident on.

A few of us have been talking about the potential for a Taos ski week next season again, in addition to Diva West in Utah. We should all keep each other posted on dates as planning goes forward. Would love to overlap with as many divas as possible at Taos again. :bounce:

If you have any other specific questions about the Black Pearls, let me know!

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
Ah well they are fantastic if you ever get the chance. I’ve never really liked the Samba or widest Black Pearl when it changed to that.. always felt too demanding and stiff. But they somehow kept this new model a charger yet made them playful too.. sort of like your description of the 88. That perfect hybrid between strong and playful that’s so hard to find. Zero chatter at high speeds, no slip on ice, carved like a dream, so easy to enter and exit turns, forgiving of lapses in balance.. I will definitely be getting a pair when I am able! They even excelled in completely scraped off icy bumps.. words I’ve never uttered about any ski before. Lol

If they are good in powder, which I also suspect will be the case.. it might be my new daily driver and take West ski.

The 164 also felt perfect to me for length.
I recently tried/bought Faction Dancer 2x 96/171. It is both nimble and steady, which is similar to the strong and playful descriptor above. No chatter. I hate chatter. And these are long, for me, but don't feel planky as other low 170s (Steadfast and Forza) that I demo'd early season. These Dancers are allowing me some speed, probably due to length, but feel light and fun. FWIW, I did not like BP88s circa 2014, but I liked and bought the 2021 version. My daughter now has them.
For comparison, I have Nela88s/160, which seem similar to the 2021/22 BP88s but they get deflected by crud more easily than the BP88s and Dancer2x. Nela88 is a finesse ski and light enough to handle a bit of powder; Dancer 2x is playful ski with a strong backbone.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
When I was in Taos last season, I brought the Blaze 86 that I also had at Steamboat this year. But for example @lisamamot skied the Santa Ana 93 there and was happy with the width to my knowledge.
I skied both the Blaze 86 and the Santa Ana 93 at Taos and both were great. In hindsight I could easily have just brought the Blaze 86 as I definitely preferred hiking with it over the Santa Ana!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I recently tried/bought Faction Dancer 2x 96/171. It is both nimble and steady, which is similar to the strong and playful descriptor above. No chatter. I hate chatter. And these are long, for me, but don't feel planky as other low 170s (Steadfast and Forza) that I demo'd early season. These Dancers are allowing me some speed, probably due to length, but feel light and fun. FWIW, I did not like BP88s circa 2014, but I liked and bought the 2021 version. My daughter now has them.
For comparison, I have Nela88s/160, which seem similar to the 2021/22 BP88s but they get deflected by crud more easily than the BP88s and Dancer2x. Nela88 is a finesse ski and light enough to handle a bit of powder; Dancer 2x is playful ski with a strong backbone.
Sounds very similar in description! The BP 94 was super powerful and also no chatter at speed, but it is playful, forgiving, and even excelled at extremely icy bumps. I fell in love right there! Lol Felt good at my normal size of 164, so I didn’t try any other size.

I have not been a fan of the BP 88 for a long time.. and while I think next year’s version is better than past models in how it fits with my preferences, it just still isn’t a ski I am personally wanting to buy. The 94 surprised the heck out of me though, as I haven’t been a fan of the wider BPs in the past either and often found them way too demanding of a ski for my preferred style of skiing. The new version is delightful and very different.

Last edited:

MissySki

Angel Diva
I skied both the Blaze 86 and the Santa Ana 93 at Taos and both were great. In hindsight I could easily have just brought the Blaze 86 as I definitely preferred hiking with it over the Santa Ana!
But that was weight based not width!! Lol Agree that the Blaze was so nice and light for hiking there though. I needed all the cardio help I could get for that.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
But that was weight based not width!! Lol Agree that the Blaze was so nice and light for hiking there though. I needed all the cardio help I could get for that.
Yeah, apparently I am not picky on width as both skied the bumps/steeps well. Only standout differential was hiking weight!

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I did ski both the 88 and 94.. I preferred the 94, in fact it was my top demo of the two days and I plan to buy them in the fall when they come out. BUT it’s always good to demo yourself when available to see what you like best since we all like different things. I found the 94 a little more playful while being a total rockstar everywhere.

When I was in Taos last season, I brought the Blaze 86 that I also had at Steamboat this year. But for example @lisamamot skied the Santa Ana 93 there and was happy with the width to my knowledge. I learned to really carve on my 92 underfoot Sheeva 9s for whatever reason.. but narrower would certainly work too and many would say is a better option to work on that skill in particular. A narrow ski I really liked, if you want more suggestions lol, was the Kastle MX 74x :smile: You are already an advanced versatile skier, so I think it comes down most to what you end up liking and feeling most comfortable and confident on.

A few of us have been talking about the potential for a Taos ski week next season again, in addition to Diva West in Utah. We should all keep each other posted on dates as planning goes forward. Would love to overlap with as many divas as possible at Taos again. :bounce:

If you have any other specific questions about the Black Pearls, let me know!
Hi please keep me in the loop about Taos next season. :smile:

Iamcindycollins

Diva in Training
Okay so my first thought is that your current ski's are too short and that will be causing stability issues for you. I'm 5'5' (ish) and my "happy' length is around 159cm and up to 164cm depending on how much tip and tail rocker they have. My Sheeva 9's are 164 and my old BP 88's were 159. My current ski's are the K2 Mindbender 85s in 156, this is due to my coming off injury last season and wanting a shorter, softer, lighter ski to enable me to get back on the horse so to speak. In saying that, I found them great in nearly all conditions I skied them and they were a ton of fun.
I'll be demoing the new BP 88s in the 158cm but to be honest unless they WOW me I'll be sticking to my Mindbenders.
Jumping from the Head Easy Joys to the BPs will be quite the change of scene for you not only in width but also in stiffness so I would recommend you try and demo if you can.
There is so much that goes into to choosing the perfect ski not just height, weight and ability but also where do you ski and what are the conditions you usually ski as well.
Hopefully someone else will chime in and have some great suggestions xx
Update…. I had an opportunity to demo BP88 skis at Mammoth Mtn this past week! Loved them! I also tried the Ripstick 88 and Total Joy ski…
I can’t wait for next season…

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had the very early version of the BP and loved it. I demo'd the 2024 BP88 in Steamboat this year and had a blast on them (this was in the Deb Armstrong clinic). They felt supportive and powerful compared to the Elan Wildcat I'd had the day before. The Wildcat got deflected and tossed in the crud but the BP powered through. Living in the mid-Atlantic I don't get much opportunity to demo, so I love those western trips.

Nevertheless, after doing a bunch of research, I just popped for the Volkl Blaze 94W. I've loved my Blaze 86 for the last 3 seasons in every condition I could throw at them, including eastern ice and 10 inches of fresh Steamboat powder. They were great last month on icy bumps and dust-on-crust in Revelstoke and they simply scoffed at the crud after we got 6-8 inches of new snow. :smile: I'm very hopeful that I will love the 94 the way I have the 86.

All of which doesn't mean that I won't be demo'ing the 2025 BP as soon as I get the chance!! They sound awesome and the graphics are REALLY nice!

• Love
Reactions: AJM

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna