• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mother/Daughter Ski Day

ski chick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A few weeks ago (actually on leap day!) I took my 10 y.o. (soon to be 11) daughter out of school for a mother/daughter ski day. I didn't tell her about it until 2 days prior because I was worried a back injury might prevent us from going and I didn't want to dissapoint her. I took really good care to heal the injury all week and we were good to go.

That morning she woke me up at 5 a.m. dressed. She said she couldn't sleep all night, she was so excited. She practically bounced in her seat the entire 1 1/2 hours drive to the mountain.

Black was the color of the day. After a blue warm up, I let her choose wherever we skied. All she wanted to do was black. We took a quick break to put heat packs in our boots and mitts (it was 11 with 15 mph winds...) and a 20 minute lunch but for the rest of the day we skied our buns off. We giggled, sang, and oh yeah, ate up the mountain. I have never had more fun in my life!!

So we've decided to make it an annual event, no boys allowed (that means no Dad or two brothers). I just had to share and I knew y'all would appreciate my post about my mini diva. Here's a picture as an attachment.

Attachments

• jtski.jpg
    jtski.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 41

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Aw, that's fantastic! What a wonderful tradition to start with your beautiful daughter.

And I agree, something about the energy of a little girl on the mountain is incredible. I learned a lot of Hannah Montana songs on Saturday morning on the lift but as soon as we hit snow it was all business.

Jilly

Staff member
That is such a neat idea! Make it an annual event. Even when she moves away (too far in the future eh??)!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
:clap: Great pic, great idea. Make it a new annual family tradition!

jaydog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What a fortunate daughter! How's this for compare: when I was young, I asked my mom about skiing, more because many of my classmates skied and less out of any particular interest, and her response was, "oh, honey, skiing is too dangerous. You could get hurt easily. If you really were interested, you could try cross country instead, it's a lot safer."

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lovely new tradition! I'm sure she'll treasure her memories of that day! :D

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What a fortunate daughter! How's this for compare: when I was young, I asked my mom about skiing, more because many of my classmates skied and less out of any particular interest, and her response was, "oh, honey, skiing is too dangerous. You could get hurt easily. If you really were interested, you could try cross country instead, it's a lot safer."
My mom's response was that it was too expensive. :(

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
My mom's response was that it was too expensive. :(
My mom wasn't very coordinated or much of an outdoor gal at all. But she loved long walks, and I have lovely memories. For those of you who can do stuff with your moms, be it skiing or whatever, do it now. Ditto your daughters. The clock is ticking.

NYSkiGirl

Certified Ski Diva
My mom came along with me to Okemo last week where I did the Women's Alpine Adventure and she snow-shoed. It was a great time had by all. It's nice that we can travel together and both get to do what makes us happy.

If she would only downhill...she used to and I cannot get her back into it. That's ok as long as she's willing to come along. :becky:

TahoeTara

Diva in Training
Mother-daughter ski day is a wonderful tradition and it's never too late to start! Over 10 years ago, I took my mom skiing for her first time (she was 54 then). She grew up in the midwest and was a strong ice skater but never skied. She got hooked immediately and every year she asks, "when are we going skiing?"

pinkkid

Certified Ski Diva
can't wait to my 'son'.. no daughter but that is Ok. My mom is so not into the cold weather though! oh well.

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Those are fun. I just took my daughter to CO for a long weekend. It was a really fun time. Actually most of the time we ski is just the girls. :D

S

SlopeDiver

Sounds like a great day, thanks for sharing that wonderful story

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna