• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Mont Tremblant- trip planning advice

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi everyone, I'm looking to plan a family ski trip at the end of February. (Not President's week, the week after-- we're lucky that my daughter's school vacation week is different than the typical US schedule). We are looking for somewhere to go for the whole week, and somewhere we can get to in driving distance (we are in VT). My husband is thinking he won't ski every day so going somewhere "interesting" is a plus (though truth be told I think he'd be happy reading in the hotel/condo while we ski).

I'm thinking Tremblant fits the bill. I know a few people ski there frequently or who have done recent trips there. Any advice on where to stay? As well as other things to know about the resort/town/etc?

Thanks!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Tremblant was fun! I’ve been twice - stayed in the Sommet des Neiges and also the Holiday Inn. Both were fine, but I think I’d choose the Sommet des Neiges first, just because it's right there at the lfits.

@Jilly and @SkiBam are Tremblant regulars, so they’ll be full of good info. We’ll definitely go back sometime, but not this year, since we didn’t go Ikon.

Jilly

Staff member
There are quite a few places. Depends on your budget and # of people. Do you want cooking facilities or not? Air Bnb type? Slope side, drive...www.tremblant.ca

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There are quite a few places. Depends on your budget and # of people. Do you want cooking facilities or not? Air Bnb type? Slope side, drive...www.tremblant.ca
There will be 3 of us- me, my husband and daughter. Would like condo style accommodations with cooking facilities.

Jilly

Staff member
So stay away from: Marriot, Holiday Inn, Westin, Fairmont, Quintessence. Those are all hotels, but some have kitchens.

Condo buildings - Sommet des Niege, Lodge de la Montagne, Homewood Suites, La Chouette, La Tour des Voyageurs, Les Suites Tremblant (Deslaurier and Johannsen).
There are Air BnB's in La Chouette and Domaine de la Montagne. Some of these are really crappy and small. But they are not in a building, They have outside entrances.
Lots more stuff off the mountain too. But drive and pay to park or walk?

Jilly

Staff member
Looks like you're staying away from the Quebec school breaks, but it could be "reading week" at Universities and Colleges...

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sommet des Neiges is GREAT! Full kitchens, wonderful hot tubs, heated outside- nice ski locker room, exercise room, 1x we had a 2br/2Ba it was 2stories. Another stay we had 1 floor 2BR. Very quiet- we couldn't hear others. There's a Big comfy lobby to sit and people watch. Free ski lockers ground floor- just walk out to the gondola! Nice Underground covered car parking too! It IS ski in ski out. the "Town" is right there- it's one long street with a couple little side streets. Lots of shops and restaurants. Sommet De Neiges it's at the TOP of the hill most of the other hotels are at the bottom of the hill there's a lift looks like an open beer can but if it's closed when you're done skiing walking down the snowy hill w/cobblestones and/or steps in ski boots w/skis can be dicey and there's a line in the morning.

Homewood suites is weird- LONG hallways with steps every 30ft- PIA carrying suitcases, ski bags. And really bad IMO only 1 elevator. long wait in the mornings. lockers underground by the car parking needed to wait for elevator to go back up to street level. The breakfast buffet was horrible cold food and lots of kids touching and grabbing and putting things back. the room was very tired and it's not ski in ski out- you have to walk around several shops to get to the snow- It's cobblestone streets so can be tricky in boots, at least was for me.

We stocked up at the IGA (think it was IGA) about 8-10 miles before Mt Tremblant- got more groceries since we packed the cooler and took most of our food from US across the border with no problem. Le Forge was excellent pub & food slope side at the base- across from Sommet- we loved the duck wings with maple coffee glaze. The crepe place was fun too, savory and sweet. We ate at an Italian place but ate in for breakfast and lunch and several dinners.

The Fairmont is uphill from Sommet- I'm sure there are ground floor elevators to get back upstairs.

Quintessence is the finest Real French food I've ever had outside of France- $$$ but oh so worth it for lunch or dinner and the hotel is beautiful, it's tricky to find it's not on the Mt Tremblant map we had to have some one show us where- fastest way was to walk thru the Westin parking lot then cross a street- it's on the lake. Way worth a splurge.

One trip we had great Mt tour with @SkiBam we learned lots of history of the MT. Maybe she or Jilly will be around. It's a fun Mt with a front side and back side. Not too hard to navigate, lots of variety of trails. It was very nice during the week but got very busy on the weekend. Food on top of gondola was cafeteria and I thought good for Mt. Food. There was a free demo day one of my trips. There are ski shops with demos right by Sommet too. We crossed into Canada via NY on way up and came back thru small Vt border on our way from Mt Tremblant to Sunday River. Check that you have international calling deal on your cell phone and on your GPS..

Here's a map- w/Quintessence marked- no one told us the town really a street and a pretty steep hill. You can see where Sommet De neiges is- that's at the very top of the hill and literally right on the slopes. HAVE FUN!

1662673569517.png

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Jilly and @nopoleskier thank you!! Great info to get started with.

@Jilly re your "stay away from" list- is it because they are hotel-y? I came across a family trip report where they stayed at a suite in Westin and it looked pretty similar to a Homewood suites style place.

I think you may be right about "reading week" since on the Mont Tremblant website they are advertising 25% discount except certain weeks... and that late Feb/early March week is listed.

I'm sure I will be back with more ?'s but thanks for helping me get started!

Also, @Jilly & @SkiBam would be great to meet up if it works out! I'll keep you posted.

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
Fifteen years ago our family of 4 (parents 2 kids ages 7 and 8) drove up to Tremblant from Boston for Christmas week (split the 8-10h ride up w a night in So. Burlington at a hotel w pool.) At Tremblant, we stayed at Hotel du Lac on recommendation of friends who went every year. It had a charming older European style hotel and modern condos of various sizes. There was a restaurant and choice of meal plans. They have a free shuttle to the mountain and a boot/ski room. At the time a ski school ran out of there and we all had daily lesson with set groups by level and same instructor, again on recommendation of friends. The kids made huge progress in their own group. DH and I were in separate groups. It had snowed a lot, then rained and refroze. It was not bitter cold fortunately, but often is. I was struck at how dressed for cold everyone was. Glamour goes out the window on the mountain for sure. They did major grooming on the refrozen rained on snow. I described it as skiing on ice cubes. I know now these are called chicken heads. We puttered around the village at the ski mountain a little; it seemed very “European.” Kids loved the iced maple syrup pops. They loved the tram from one village level to another. The indoor pool at Hotel du Lac was great. On mountain food and in restaurant at Hotel was excellent…not cheap. Condo allows cheaper eat in. The whole trip was a fun foreign adventure for us. You can skip the hotel in So. Burlington of course. This info is 15 years old so YMMV.

Jilly

Staff member
Well, if you've got a couple million, you might be able to buy one of the new condo's going up there.

cloudysky

Diva in Training
Hi everyone, I'm looking to plan a family ski trip at the end of February. (Not President's week, the week after-- we're lucky that my daughter's school vacation week is different than the typical US schedule). We are looking for somewhere to go for the whole week, and somewhere we can get to in driving distance (we are in VT). My husband is thinking he won't ski every day so going somewhere "interesting" is a plus (though truth be told I think he'd be happy reading in the hotel/condo while we ski).

I'm thinking Tremblant fits the bill. I know a few people ski there frequently or who have done recent trips there. Any advice on where to stay? As well as other things to know about the resort/town/etc?

Thanks!
I was at Tremblant last January during one of the lockdowns - we went for 5 days and worked/virtual schooled there (and skiied on the weekend only). We stayed at the Westin but it was a one bedroom unit (we needed that since we are a family of 5, and again we worked/virtual schooled). I actually quite liked the Westin, our 1-br was very spacious with kitchen facility. That said, I recall the price being really good probably because it was during the week? Can’t comment on other hotels as that was my only ski trip to tremblant so far!

for activities, my kids spent quite a bit of time at the free skating rink (free rentals if you are staying in one of the hotels), and next to the rink is a really cool ice playground with slide.

if you guys are up for a non-ski-day trip, I highly recommend parc omega!! We’ve only gone in the summer but I know they’re opened year round and it’s always so much fun feeding the carrots to the animals (it’s a big safari park, the animals really do roam around freely!)

p.s. I remember Jilly offered to let me ski with her!! Too bad our timing didn’t match up

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was at Tremblant last January during one of the lockdowns - we went for 5 days and worked/virtual schooled there (and skiied on the weekend only). We stayed at the Westin but it was a one bedroom unit (we needed that since we are a family of 5, and again we worked/virtual schooled). I actually quite liked the Westin, our 1-br was very spacious with kitchen facility. That said, I recall the price being really good probably because it was during the week? Can’t comment on other hotels as that was my only ski trip to tremblant so far!

for activities, my kids spent quite a bit of time at the free skating rink (free rentals if you are staying in one of the hotels), and next to the rink is a really cool ice playground with slide.

if you guys are up for a non-ski-day trip, I highly recommend parc omega!! We’ve only gone in the summer but I know they’re opened year round and it’s always so much fun feeding the carrots to the animals (it’s a big safari park, the animals really do roam around freely!)

p.s. I remember Jilly offered to let me ski with her!! Too bad our timing didn’t match up

Thanks! Good to know about the Westin and Parc Omega

I think I am leaning towards an AirBnB or VRBO rental, seems like they might be a better deal. Working on the research- I'm trying to wrap my head around the layout of the village, as I'd like to be somewhere with ski in/ski out.

Jilly

Staff member
I have a friend with an Air BnB, but it's probable too big for you. 3 bedrooms. Village info should be on the Tremblant.ca site. There are many buildings NOT in the Pedestrian village. They are over on the mountain side. They will say ski-in/ski out, but they may or may not be depending on conditions.
Johansen, Deslaurier, Tour de Voyageurs, La Chouette, and Demain de la Montage are all village properties that could have Air BnB's or VRBO.
I rent in a building in the Domain de la Montagne. There are 8 units, 4 are Air BnB's.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Why didn't I come here before booking my stay??? I'm going in March (spring break) and am staying in a 1 bed at the Lodge de la Montagne. Should I be worried? Will I be disappointed? I booked through the resort.

Jilly

Staff member
No, not at all. The Lodge is lovely. They have a pool and hot tub. Many of the Air Bnb's don't. Also you might have access to Le Source, which is the main pool and gym. Lots of stuff for kids there, if you get a bad ski day.

Let me know your dates, although I usually don't do March breaks. Too crowded.

tartegnin

Certified Ski Diva
adding a few dated pennies to the excellent advice already here (am book marking it for our next trip). We had a Christmas break trip to Tremblant a few years ago. We ponied up for the Quintessence which was amply accommodating to us and our teenage daughter. It is a fantastic hotel, so if it's pricey, at least you get value for the money. But, I also more than understand wanting to have a kitchen and more room, and there are some great sounding alternatives here. We did eat around in the village most of the time, but pricey and can be crowded, and none of the options blew us away.

Loved Tremblant village and also the funicular we took up from the parking lot. Very lively and compact. The skiing was ok, but mostly because of the poor conditions - cold but not a lot of snow. Because they usually expect plenty of snow, the snowmaking facilities were not great. In fact, there was better snow at home in our local PA resort. But still, we enjoyed exploring the mountain.

Where we found a giant fail was in the ski school. We three are pretty decent skiiers - advanced intermediate for sure. We decided to book a group lesson for our first day just to warm up and to get to know the mountain. The lesson was supposed to be max 4, so we figured we were basically going to have a private lesson with one additional person at most and that the ski school would place us appropriate to our level. It was crazy expensive. We showed up for our lesson which had about a 15 minute delay as people gathered late. Our instructor was so-so - very much performative and not very invested. The worst part was that they added not one but two additional skiiers - young girls who weren't strong skiiers. It was a crappy experience. Oh well. That may well have been a one-off bad luck.

Anyway, in sum, we are looking forward to a chance to get back to Tremblant. Pretty easy access via Montreal - we booked a private car to get up there, but there are busses and other transport options, too.

Make sure you post a trip report so we can benefit from your experience (while being wildly jealous :smile:)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna