• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/SE skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC) for 2017-18

marzNC

Angel Diva
Have heard that Snowshoe is making snow! Pretty clear they intend to stay open as long as possible. The annual SkiSE Summit is the first weekend of March per usual. Sounds like those folks may be pleasantly surprised. Especially considering that the ski areas in NC are either closed or have very limited terrain.

EeveeCanSki

Certified Ski Diva
Wisp has limited terrain open (blues and blacks, no green trails save the learning area; one of my favorite trails I skied there over the holiday weekend is now completely bare :cry: ). Some colder weather appears on tap for them so maybe they can restore some trails.

We are headed to Whitetail on Saturday--I hope they weather the storm later this week; it looks like there are some reserves around. Then I think Roundtop will be our swan song for the season on the 10th, unless there's still snow somewhere within reasonable driving distance toward the end of the month.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The folks planning to attend the SkiSoutheast Summit at Snowshoe this weekend are happy to see snow guns back on. Events start Friday evening at Silvercreek. First Tracks on Sunday morning per usual. A good core group attend every year, including a few who drive all the way from Atlanta. I made the trek from Raleigh to join in the fun a couple times when my daughter was in elementary school.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not sure what's happening in PA and at Wisp.

Blue could have made snow last night, but didn't, which is puzzling. It is still mostly open, but meting fast. They'll make it through this weekend I'm sure, but beyond that is unclear. However, if we get any sort of March surprise, they will take advantage of it. I remember being really surprised last year when they blew snow from every single gun the day before that big March snowstorm. That was a costly late-season commitment.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Canaan Valley posts every so often on the regional forums for the SE and DC area. Offering cheap rates for weekend skiing when there might even be a snowstorm. Here's what they had to say today:

"With the recent unseasonable weather, we are suspending ski area operations at Canaan Valley Resort Ski Area until Friday, March 2, when we will reopen the area for weekend skiing. The forecast is calling for up to 5 inches of fresh snow Friday and Saturday. We’ll be offering big discounts at the ski area - $25 for a lift ticket, $35 for a lift ticket and ski rental, or $45 for a lift ticket and snowboard rental. We’ll have at least six trails open, including Timber Trail from top to bottom and the beginner’s ski area. Although we closed the terrain park and tube park for the season, there are plenty of other things to do this week at Canaan Valley Resort including ice skating, golf course (weather permitting), clay trap shooting (advanced appointments required), resort board tours, and indoor swimming pool. Stay tuned for updates. Think cold thoughts, everyone."

Snowshoe apparently announced on FB that Cupp will be open after they blew new snow.

Wintergreen is aiming to be open thru this weekend, then perhaps one final weekend after that.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The chatter on DCSki is that Whitetail, Liberty, and Wintergreen are hanging in there. In WV, Snowshoe could be quite fun the first weekend of March. Winterplace is hoping to re-open for that weekend. Canaan Valley and Timberline might re-open but I wouldn't count on it. Wisp will be open March 3-4 and will make snow if at all possible.

EeveeCanSki

Certified Ski Diva
Whitetail was quite nice yesterday (3/3). It was pretty icy in places in spite of some snowmaking but if you knew where to go, the snow could be good. About 2/3 of the trails were open, so plenty to ski. It was breeeeeeeezzzyyyy but as the day went on the winds abated some. Morning skiing was fantastic, sparse slopes! Snow was heavy and slushy by afternoon but so it goes in spring...and they seem to have plenty to keep going for at least the next week. Staff hopes they can hold out until the 18th.

Here was the view at the top of Sidewinder, a nice green trail that does exactly what it's name advertises. The trails on the right that look like white ribbons are the frontside blues off their high speed quad lift. (If some of the people look a little funny, it's because this is a crop of a pano.)

WT sidewinder 500 px.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
From what I read, Liberty was in better shape than expected. Snowshoe may well manage to stay open until the end of March if temps stay cool during the days and cold enough for snowmaking at night. Shays is done but they are planning to keep Cupp open as long as practical.

The only complaints I've heard have been about Canaan Valley and Timberline in terms of no snowmaking the last few nights.

7Springs and Hidden Valley are open too.

Massanutten was open today with the long green and the two blacks from the summit off Lift 6. Will be open 9am-5pm during the week. I expect March 11 to be Closing Day but nothing has been announced yet.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The Scout day on the Massanutten calendar for March 4 was rescheduled to Sat, March 10. Heroes On The Hill for military families was always on the calendar for Sun, March 11. Given the cold temps overnight this week, hopefully will be a fun weekend March 10-11.

Jersey Fresh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just jumping in here to say hello! I've had to live vicariously through everyone this winter as we have a little surprise joining us in a few days :wink:

So needless to say, I have sat out this ski season so no trips to Snowshoe (so weird to be home every weekend all winter!) but I am both nervous and excited to have a new skier in our family soon.

I hope everyone has had a great season despite some questionably warm weather.

EeveeCanSki

Certified Ski Diva
Roundtop had beautiful snow and gorgeous weather today. Today they held their pond skim--some photos to come once I'm back home :smile:

They are certainly planning to be open next weekend and have not discussed a closing date, so get it while it's good.

However, I joined the Hobble and Swear club today and my season is over, but this was probably my final weekend on the slopes anyway. Just didn't want to go out in pain.

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi everyone, thought this might be a good place to introduce myself! I'm Lindsay, in the N. VA area. I skied a lot as a child/teen, then had about 17 years off. Things have changed a lot! :smile: Trying to shake off the dust, and have been back on the slopes a bit over the last year. Just got back from Roundtop, trying to get to Liberty this week, and planning a Snowshoe trip over my daughters' spring break at the end of the month. It really is like riding a bike, hooray!

Have greatly enjoyed reading/learning from you all, hope to be able to contribute more soon!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hi everyone, thought this might be a good place to introduce myself! I'm Lindsay, in the N. VA area. I skied a lot as a child/teen, then had about 17 years off. Things have changed a lot! :smile: Trying to shake off the dust, and have been back on the slopes a bit over the last year. Just got back from Roundtop, trying to get to Liberty this week, and planning a Snowshoe trip over my daughters' spring break at the end of the month. It really is like riding a bike, hooray!

Have greatly enjoyed reading/learning from you all, hope to be able to contribute more soon!
Hello and welcome! I had a chance to ski for a couple seasons as a teen long ago but didn't at all for 10 years and ski relatively little as a working adult. Only started skiing regularly when I got my daughter started at Massanutten 13+ years ago.

With all the snow that Snowshoe is getting in March, you will have a great time!

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes!! I am so excited. We are staying at the Mountain Lodge... not sure if I've ever gotten to stay at a ski in/out location before. I see some rain in the forecast but overnight temps below freezing again, so am optimistic conditions will still be great!

I also just purchased an Ikon pass for myself and one kiddo -- will get the second when a childless friend hopefully buys a pass -- but so excited it will give unlimited access to SS as well as some trips out west on miles (or north in the car!)

I love that you started back when you got your daughter started on skis. Fun! My daughters are motivation for me as well. I forgot how much I loved it -- but it is so fun watching them learn. My partner has never skied either -- he'll be taking his first lesson at Liberty this week. I hope it goes well. I am not going to try to teach him myself. :wink:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Yes!! I am so excited. We are staying at the Mountain Lodge... not sure if I've ever gotten to stay at a ski in/out location before. I see some rain in the forecast but overnight temps below freezing again, so am optimistic conditions will still be great!

I also just purchased an Ikon pass for myself and one kiddo -- will get the second when a childless friend hopefully buys a pass -- but so excited it will give unlimited access to SS as well as some trips out west on miles (or north in the car!)

I love that you started back when you got your daughter started on skis. Fun! My daughters are motivation for me as well. I forgot how much I loved it -- but it is so fun watching them learn. My partner has never skied either -- he'll be taking his first lesson at Liberty this week. I hope it goes well. I am not going to try to teach him myself. :wink:
Staying slope side is really nice with kids. I made the drive to SS a couple times with my daughter for the SkiSE Summit, which is usually the first weekend of March. If you want more info about Snowshoe conditions, check out DCSki. A few of the regulars own condos at SS and make the drive from DC often during late season when SS has the most open slopes after Pres. Day.

My husband of 25+ years turned out to be a total non-skier. Did see him on skis a couple times. But he's an enabler because he stays home to take care of the pets while I'm off skiing.

The trick for learning to ski as an adult is to keep taking lessons during the first few seasons. At least until skiing any blue in the Mid-Atlantic/SE is fun and more relaxing than scary. Meaning making good turns, not just getting down with linked hockey stops and feeling sore legs at the end of one run. The multi-week program at Liberty is an option to consider for next season if his first reaction is that skiing is fun. Good luck!

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, thanks! I've found both DCSki and SkiSE. Have been stalking for the latest conditions.

Good tips re: urging him to keep taking lessons. I am going to take some myself -- I was probably an expert level skier when I was younger, and I felt comfortable on all the slopes I tried at Roundtop, but I think there are probably things that are not beautiful about my sking. And this whole concept of edging is very new. :tongue:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Yes, thanks! I've found both DCSki and SkiSE. Have been stalking for the latest conditions.

Good tips re: urging him to keep taking lessons. I am going to take some myself -- I was probably an expert level skier when I was younger, and I felt comfortable on all the slopes I tried at Roundtop, but I think there are probably things that are not beautiful about my sking. And this whole concept of edging is very new. :tongue:
I'm a bit biased, but Massanutten has a very good ski school for kids and adults. My friend who started learning with her kids several years ago has taken advantage of the Adv. Beginner/Intermediate group lessons. Usually only 1-2 only people in a lesson. Had I known what I learned starting lessons after a knee injury, I would've started lessons sooner once my daughter was skiing blacks in the southeast.

A key reason Massanutten became my home mountain is that it's possible to ski off Lift 6 with no line, even on holiday weekends.

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't been to Massanutten yet, but a friend was recommending the mountain to me today. Certainly closer to me than Snowshoe! Great to hear about the ski school and lack of lines, which seems to be a common complaint about Snowshoe.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Oh my, the Snowshoe snowmaking system is about to get a complete overhaul and update. Grooming technology will be upgraded too. Alterra is spending $4 million before the 2018-19 season. People who get the Ridiculous Pass should be happier during early season. People who go for the Ikon pass for next season should be happy during early and late season. Especially if they can make use of the Ikon in the next few weeks.

The announcement was made initially to attendees at the SkiSE Summit during the First Tracks on Sunday morning. The local paper had an article on March 8, 2018.

Snowshoe Mountain announces $4 Million in new snowmaking investments

" . . .
The re-tooled snowmaking system will cut the resort’s energy costs and consumption significantly, and return more than 5,000,000kwh back to the grid. 5,000,000kwh is enough to power 500 homes for an entire year.

The new Snowguns and automation equipment will include more than 160 new snowguns to be positioned in key, fixed locations around the mountain, as well as the equipment needed to further automate the snowmaking system.
. . ."

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna