• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Men's/Unisex 2015 ski demo at Massanutten, VA

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This weekend I had a chance to demo quite a few of men's/unisex skis. I didn't demo any of the women's skis because there was no women's demo skis in 170+ cm length. I will just give some quick notes. not too technical just my impression.
About the tester: I am 6'1" tall 190+ lbs, low advanced skier comfortable on almost any groomer. My daily driver ski is Kenja and Savory 7 is my pow ski. I ski with medium speed on groomers, not superfast but not very slow I would say. Conditions - mainly soft packed man-made powder groomers with an occasional ice patch/hardpack, mostly very nice groomer conditions.

Rossignol Experience (women's equivalent is Temptation) 88, 170 cm
I was expecting to like these, but actually hated them. They felt very unresponsive, sluggish, like I was getting stuck, difficult to turn.

Head Rev Pro 85, 170 cm
Really liked those. Great edge grip, easy to initiate turns, stable at speed and fun.

Blizzard Brahma, 173 cm, 88 mm waist
These were so much fun! I loved them - very easy to turn, energetic, stable at speed and great edge hold. These were my second favorite of all I demoed.

Blizzard Bonafide (women's equivalent is Samba), 173 cm, 98 mm waist.
These ski are damp and burly. I could ski them, but they were tiring me out, also was hard to stay really on top of them all the time. My quads were burning by 2nd run on them. They love to go as fast as possible fast and smooth over any piles and terrain irregularities, don't like short radius turns on them - it's tiring although turn initiation is fairly easy. I just don't ski fast enough to really enjoy them at this point. Good edge hold and carving.

Volkl RTM 81, 171 cm
These are fun carvers, super stable/damp, but very stiff somewhat unforgiving for me. I think to really enjoy them you need a very aggressive forward stance and ski very fast on hardpack. This ski loves to carve and a great ski overall, just a bit too demanding for me, I felt my quads burn towards the end of the 2nd run so probably couldn't forward enough on them and I probably don't ski fast enough to truly let them shine. They have amazing edge hold, the best of all I have demoed! Icy and firm condition are probably super fun on these skis. Interestingly I read that the ski if fully rockered, no camber? I guess it's a new construction Volkl implemented this year even for frontside skis?

Volkl Mantra, (women's equivalent is Aura) 177 cm, 100 mm waist
My absolute favorite of all the skis I demoed! I was at first afraid that they will be too long in 177 and too burly, but I didn't feel the extra length. They are very easy to turn, not demanding at all, very responsive, fun, fantastic edge hold for a ski that wide. Probably not as good edge hold as RTM, but at least as good as Kenjas. They ski pretty smilarly to Kenjas, maybe Mantras are a tiny bit less forgiving or it could be the longer length. Great for short radius turns - very easy pivoting probably because they are fully rockered. Long radius turns were great too, super stable at speed, but will go as slow as you want them to and they were more forgiving and easier to ski then RTM. I wondered how they feel in powder, probably pretty good. Honestly if I had to go with one ski quiver these are perfect and kind of want them. :smile: I understand why a lot of Divas love Auras. :smile:

Some thoughts after demo: is while I am not an agressive/fast skier I do prefer Volkl skis, Blizzard was close 2nd and Head 3rd. For some reason I don't get along with the new Rossignol Experience skis even though I love my Savory 7, but powder skis is a different story. It's too bad they didn't have any of The Head Joy line in 170+ cm length, I guess the narrowed skis of the Joy line Head doesn't even make longer than 168. Looked like Divas who demoed Head Joy skis enjoyed them a lot. I like stiff/burly skis for groomers, but not quite ready for the really burly ski like RTM and Bonafide.

Last edited:

lisamamot

Angel Diva
You and I like, and dislike, similar skis!

I didn't get along with the Experience 88 either. I love Volkl, and have skied the 2015 Kenja and Kendo, and the Aura. I found the Aura 163 felt short, but I'm a bit afraid of the 170 even if I could have rustled it up. I demoed the Kenja 170 for a few runs at a demo weekend, and thought it was amazing on the hard pack, but I worried I would find it long in certain situations. Just realized the 2014 Kenja/Aura only has tip rocker instead of a full rocker, so perhaps the 163 in those would give me that little extra I am missing. If I could rustle up a 2014 Kenja 163 I would get that for my daughter and then steal it if it didn't work for her!

Perty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had a good test on the Brahmas before Christmas, and really liked them. I have donated my 163 Kenjas to a friend for the season. I never really used them. Having tried the Brahmas in the 170ish length, I can feel the urge to make a purchase!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Wow, you ladies rock! I skied the Brahma 166 (5'9", <140#) and I could really feel those 2 1/2 sheets of titanium over a full wood core. Too burly of a ski for me, but loved its characteristics! I may very well like the Bushwacker though....next time I get a shot at a demo weekend I'm giving that a whirl.

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I tried the Brahma in a 180cm and really liked it but would have been interested to try the shorter length. I tried the Black Pearl in the 173cm and it was too short or soft but then it doesn't have the metal, so many options!

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, you ladies rock! I skied the Brahma 166 (5'9", <140#) and I could really feel those 2 1/2 sheets of titanium over a full wood core. Too burly of a ski for me, but loved its characteristics! I may very well like the Bushwacker though....next time I get a shot at a demo weekend I'm giving that a whirl.
I think I felt this way about Bonafide. I am much bigger/heavier than you, so it might be why Brahma felt just right for me. Yes, Bushwacker might be good for you to try, it doesn't have any metal as I remember.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I tried the Brahma in a 180cm and really liked it but would have been interested to try the shorter length. I tried the Black Pearl in the 173cm and it was too short or soft but then it doesn't have the metal, so many options!
I tried Black Peark a year ago in 166 cm, that was definitely too short and too soft for firm groomers. I liked how easy they were to turn and maneuverable, but didn't feel stiff enough carving on hardpack. I think now even if I could try 173 cm it would probably be too soft for me to ski on the conditions I usually ski - firm groomers. I tend to agree with what other Divas were saying that Black Pearls are a good ski for soft groomers and soft snow.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I found myself thinking about Mantras a lot. I started to consider selling my Savory 7 and buying the 14-15 Mantra instead. We shall see. :smile: I also want a narrow ice gripping carver for icy days, that would actually be more practical than Mantras for most of the skiing I do.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I tried Black Peark a year ago in 166 cm, that was definitely too short and too soft for firm groomers. I liked how easy they were to turn and maneuverable, but didn't feel stiff enough carving on hardpack. I think now even if I could try 173 cm it would probably be too soft for me to ski on the conditions I usually ski - firm groomers. I tend to agree with what other Divas were saying that Black Pearls are a good ski for soft groomers and soft snow.

166 seems crazy short for your height. Is that the length you usually ski?

Jilly

Staff member
The Experience has metal in it that the Temptation line doesn't. So they are heavy and stiff! But lots of people don't like Rossi, and that's why the demo thing is important!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna