• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Massachusetts skiing 2018-19 --Wachusett, Berkshire East, Jiminy Peak.... and more!

MissySki

Angel Diva
The snow was really good, and there was much more of it than last year at this time! There were only 3 ways down (Ralph's Run, Conifer, Indian Summer), but a lot of the rest looked close from the lift as well. Despite the fact that people were in line for the lift by 9:15am when the lifts didn't open until 10am, we never waited and could ski right onto all lifts so it definitely wasn't crowded. Snow held up well, Conifer had one section that got more scraped off everytime you went down, but that is pretty typical and you could still find the snow on skier's right of the trail. All in all I was really happy with my first day back on skis this season and had a fun few hours skiing with @marzNC and her daughter!

Attachments

• IMG_2392.JPG
    IMG_2392.JPG
    348.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2395.JPG
    IMG_2395.JPG
    391.2 KB · Views: 9

marzNC

Angel Diva
All in all I was really happy with my first day back on skis this season and had a fun few hours skiing with @marzNC and her daughter!
Glad we could ski together! It had been a while since the Dec Diva meetup at SR. Snow conditions were really quite nice. Must say that temps in the low 30s made it that much more fun. I did a few more runs after lunch. With no school buses showing up at 2:30, it never got crowded. But the blue slopes were definitely skied off by 1:30. Not sure I would've been as enthusiastic if the frigid temps had arrive 24 hours earlier.

You and my DD are on the 11/21 video. :smile:

Sparky

Angel Diva
Hi Wawa Divas! I’m a SoCal diva heading back to my home town of Boston next week. I haven’t skied back east in over 25 years but I see Wachusett is doing a demo day Dec 8 and I am in the market for new skis (to replace my Total Joys) so I’m thinking I may check it out. Everytime I’m there, I always say I want to try skiing back there again but I never do, so this would be a good opportunity to do so. But because I ski different conditions out west, I’m wondering if it would be worth it to lug my boots across the country for this. I have a tentative list of skis I want to demo, which are those that are not only good on hardback but also in softer snow and bumps and trees. So one of my question is, is there enough at Wachusett for me to get a good feel of a ski off-piste? Is there even enough snow yet? And is anyone planning on going, maybe we can meet?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hi Wawa Divas! I’m a SoCal diva heading back to my home town of Boston next week. I haven’t skied back east in over 25 years but I see Wachusett is doing a demo day Dec 8 and I am in the market for new skis (to replace my Total Joys) so I’m thinking I may check it out. Everytime I’m there, I always say I want to try skiing back there again but I never do, so this would be a good opportunity to do so. But because I ski different conditions out west, I’m wondering if it would be worth it to lug my boots across the country for this. I have a tentative list of skis I want to demo, which are those that are not only good on hardback but also in softer snow and bumps and trees. So one of my question is, is there enough at Wachusett for me to get a good feel of a ski off-piste? Is there even enough snow yet? And is anyone planning on going, maybe we can meet?
I won't be back in the Boston area until closer to Christmas. My impression is that Wawa sells all-mountain skis along with carvers. You could call and ask. It’s a good shop.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Unless we get lucky and it snows the night before you won’t get any sense of off piste. Trees are off limits at Wawa- old growth forest. But the runs are long enough to get a sense of the skis on hard pack, and the lift ticket will only be $29. You might get bumps on a black run. Not sure what brands will have tents up, but a quick can let you know what to expect.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Butternut will open Dec. 7. Season pass sale ends on Nov. 30, and 3 packs are on sale until Dec. 20th.

Sparky

Angel Diva
Unless we get lucky and it snows the night before you won’t get any sense of off piste. Trees are off limits at Wawa- old growth forest. But the runs are long enough to get a sense of the skis on hard pack, and the lift ticket will only be $29. You might get bumps on a black run. Not sure what brands will have tents up, but a quick can let you know what to expect.
Yeah bummer, the 10 day forecast isn’t looking good for snow right now but I may still do it. Thanks!

Sparky

Angel Diva
@Sparky If you'll be here the day before (Friday Dec 7) and want to head to Loon in NH there is a demo day as well. I'll be there!
I thought their demo day was Dec 15, is there another one? I would rather ski Loon but it’s twice as far. But if conditions are good, I would make the drive. Where can I find more info on that demo day?

MissySki

Angel Diva
I thought their demo day was Dec 15, is there another one? I would rather ski Loon but it’s twice as far. But if conditions are good, I would make the drive. Where can I find more info on that demo day?

Go to Ken Jones Ski Mart on Facebook (not sure if it is also on their website yet, but you could also call. They put on a demo the first Friday in December at Loon every year, I've gone quite a few times. It's nice because the Friday makes it way less crowded. I believe it's $50 if you need a lift ticket, if you have an Ikon pass etc. it's free to demo and ski. I heard last weekend from a friend that conditions were great at Loon, but haven't been yet myself. Everywhere is great right now in New England though it seems, fingers crossed there is no rain or warm up in the forecast! I just had a great powder day at Killington yesterday, conditions for November are the best I've ever seen at the moment, it was like mid winter.

Let me know if you decide to go! @lisamamot is attending as well.

Sparky

Angel Diva
Thanks @MissySki! I looked on their website and while I didn’t see specific demo day info, it looks like they carry at least a few of the skis on my list to demo so I am considering it. Heck, maybe I’ll do both Loon and Wachusett then!

Where are you and @lisamamot driving up from? And it’s been over 20 years since I’ve been to Loon, so unless it’s storming, I don’t need a 4wd up there, right?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Thanks @MissySki! I looked on their website and while I didn’t see specific demo day info, it looks like they carry at least a few of the skis on my list to demo so I am considering it. Heck, maybe I’ll do both Loon and Wachusett then!

Where are you and @lisamamot driving up from? And it’s been over 20 years since I’ve been to Loon, so unless it’s storming, I don’t need a 4wd up there, right?

@Sparky here is their listing from Facebook. If you have other brands that they carry that you are interested in from their website, you can call their store to ask if there will be a rep there. For example, I know they carry Black Crows, but they will not be at the event. They usually have a really good variety though overall.

You definitely don't need 4wd, it's all highway and then only a couple of miles off of the exit, so even if it is stormy the roads are usually well taken care of. I drive a Sonata with snow tires all over up north in the winter. @lisamamot and I are in central MA, I live around 45 miles southwest of Boston, so I think it's ~2.5 hours to Loon (I moved last year, so haven't driven there from my current house yet). Much closer to Wachusett, only around a 45 minute drive lol.

Hope you can make it! Where in MA will you be staying while you're in town?

Did I also see you on the list for diva west? We are both going to that as well.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wachusett is shaping up very nicely for being only the end of November, and yesterday I was able to just ski straight on to the lift for every run. Just looking at the weather forecast for this coming week, I wouldn't be surprised if they have all of the major runs open by the demo day. And hopefully Bullock's lodge will be open by then too. 10th Mountain and Salamander were both open yesterday, but sadly not the Cider House.

lisamamot

Angel Diva

I live about 35 miles west of Boston and quite close to @MissySki. The Ken Jones Demo day is great fun - check out their Facebook page for demo info. I agree, you will be fine without 4WD. Based on where you are coming from it is whatever highway gets you to 93N and then they are just a few miles off the Lincoln exit. Super easy. Let us know if you are coming!

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
I was just looking at the Loon website and it says the demo day is on the 15th not the 7th.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I was just looking at the Loon website and it says the demo day is on the 15th not the 7th.

That's the Loon sponsored demo day, the one on the 7th is sponsored by Ken Jones and Loon doesn't advertise it on their site for aome reason.

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
Ok, I didn’t know there were two. Sure wish I could take a week off from work and hit both of them, but I am just getting back to work after a weeks vacation.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna