• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Masks for skiing

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Just saw @Christy's post about Abom goggles in the first day reports. I wish they would make one for Asian-fit. The western-fit goggles don't work for me.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Just saw @Christy's post about Abom goggles in the first day reports. I wish they would make one for Asian-fit. The western-fit goggles don't work for me.
They do -- their HEET model is what they consider Asian fit. I ordered some, and they should be arriving today, so I'll let you know -- I have a very small face.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In trying to think ahead about masks, plus goggles and the dreaded fogging, I ordered Abom HEET googles and an additional lens in August. When they arrived, I saw through the clear box window they were the colors I wanted and placed them into my ski bin. A few days ago, I pulled out the bin in anticipation of a ski trip soon, and saw that the googles were not the HEET model. The retailer sent me the ONE model, which is gigantic. The additional lens was HEET, but the frames were not. Luckily I never cut off the tags and the error was on their side so the retailer accepted my 90+ day return and refunded me immediately. Unfortunately, HEETs must be popular because there isn't much inventory for the color I wanted. Plus, I paid much more than I did for the ONE's. Lesson learned, specialty google, check fit upon arrival! Back to masks topic.

Christy

Angel Diva
In trying to think ahead about masks, plus goggles and the dreaded fogging, I ordered Abom HEET googles and an additional lens in August. When they arrived, I saw through the clear box window they were the colors I wanted and placed them into my ski bin. A few days ago, I pulled out the bin in anticipation of a ski trip soon, and saw that the googles were not the HEET model. The retailer sent me the ONE model, which is gigantic. The additional lens was HEET, but the frames were not. Luckily I never cut off the tags and the error was on their side so the retailer accepted my 90+ day return and refunded me immediately. Unfortunately, HEETs must be popular because there isn't much inventory for the color I wanted. Plus, I paid much more than I did for the ONE's. Lesson learned, specialty google, check fit upon arrival! Back to masks topic.

Bummer! My understanding is that the ONE is the older/original model, which is comically large and generally just not as good in any way as the HEET, and that's why it's cheaper.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Thanks - I guess I didn’t read that closely. I appreciate the heads up!
Yes, @bsskier and @Christy are correct: the One model is widely available at a discount, but it's made for a large face. The HEET model, which is much more expensive, has the Asian-style face size. I just got mine, and it's perfect! Thansk to everyone who has commented and suggested these goggles -- now I can't wait to try them out!

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
First day skiing today (hooray!) and so I got to try out the OR mask. The filter is definitely not ideal, and ended up folding up quite quickly. It's a double-layer mask without the filter, and there were very few people around so I didn't think it was too much of an issue today but will try fastening the filter in somehow. It was comfy to wear though, if a little warm to start off with - actually quite cosy when on the chair lift in freezing wind. Didn't seem to particularly affect my goggles but we had a bit of freezing rain to contend with so it was a case of trying to work out if the lack of visibility was fogging or freezing - usually the latter.

My husband was trying out a Kanuk mask (silver thread face mask | Kanuk ) and found that worked well. It's not the cheapest but he didn't have problems with goggles steaming up and found it comfortable.

SierraLuLu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've become accustomed to the regular surgical masks and am reluctant to spend money on fancier kinds, since my small face/glasses combo means I strike out a lot on fit.

I have a very small face too. Nose wires do wonders for me, so I won’t buy any mask without one. I will also sew small stitches in the ear loops of any mask that is too loose on my face. I’m by no means an expert sewer, but it doesn’t take much. There are also masks on the market with adjustable ear loops. Pops of Cotton on Etsy is a favorite of mine.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
My Mission masks arrived yesterday. Love the fit, the adjustable strap, the fact that the straps doesn't rest on ears, and the placement of the adjustment buckle. I have decided to wear it with a buff or skida fabric gaiter over it. The real test will be -- how wet does it get?

Blondeinabmw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After trying the Skida face mask (I love their Tour neck gaiter) and some cotton masks from Sanctuary, I was really frustrated. Skida's mask was just weird and had too many strings. I started wearing my wool buff, but it doesn't offer much protection. This got me thinking - why not try a wool face mask? I haven't skied in them yet, but I did order a merino wool mask from Huckleberry. I liked it so much, I ordered two more. They are warm, but breathe well, don't get disgustingly wet and stinky, and are comfortable and soft. I've had no breakouts from this mask either and always do when I wear cotton. The ear loops are super comfortable. I've thrown them in the washing machine in a zippered laundry bag and just let them air dry. Good as new. https://huckberry.com/store/huckberry/category/p/65685-merino-wool-face-mask

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
After trying the Skida face mask (I love their Tour neck gaiter) and some cotton masks from Sanctuary, I was really frustrated. Skida's mask was just weird and had too many strings. I started wearing my wool buff, but it doesn't offer much protection. This got me thinking - why not try a wool face mask? I haven't skied in them yet, but I did order a merino wool mask from Huckleberry. I liked it so much, I ordered two more. They are warm, but breathe well, don't get disgustingly wet and stinky, and are comfortable and soft. I've had no breakouts from this mask either and always do when I wear cotton. The ear loops are super comfortable. I've thrown them in the washing machine in a zippered laundry bag and just let them air dry. Good as new. https://huckberry.com/store/huckberry/category/p/65685-merino-wool-face-mask
Those sound really nice -- I'll be interested to hear about how they perform while skiing. BTW, do you have any idea what the difference is between their $12 and $15 masks? Their descriptions are exactly the same -- is there a size difference, perhaps?

Blondeinabmw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interesting - I didn't notice there was a different price point. I just saw the black $12 and jumped on it. I know when I ordered the two pack, it was a bit cheaper per piece. I have a rather large face/head and it fits me great - perhaps because they are for men?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone whose skied had trouble with fogging when they're wearing their mask? Or if not fogging, just moisture forming inside their goggles?

I skied with the Community Wear mask today, and while I liked how it fit -- it was a lot more comfortable and better fitting than the Buff filter mask -- I did have fogging and moisture issues. I ended up pulling it off my nose when I was skiing, then pulling it back up for the lift. Which is really a bit of a pain.

Also, the weather isn't that cold now, but how are you all planning to handle keeping your face warm while you're wearing your mask? I anticipated pulling my fleece gaiter up over my mask, which seems doable but somewhat bulky. But that could make the fogging problem even worse. And when it gets really cold, I like using my FaceSaver to keep my nose and upper cheeks warm. I can't even imagine how I'm going to manage the FaceSaver/mask/fleece combo this year.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I didn’t have fogging issues when using my Ski The East mask, and didn’t have to pull that one down at all. I do with my buff type covering if I leave it up, so I pull that one down off of my face while skiing and up when I am heading towards the base. It has ear loops so not difficult to pull back into place

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I didn’t have fogging issues when using my Ski The East mask, and didn’t have to pull that one down at all. I do with my buff type covering if I leave it up, so I pull that one down off of my face while skiing and up when I am heading towards the base. It has ear loops so not difficult to pull back into place

Which Buff has ear loops? The one I have with the filter does not and it does slide down my head, or at least the back of my head. It has to be pulled up over my ears to stay up.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Has anyone whose skied had trouble with fogging when they're wearing their mask? Or if not fogging, just moisture forming inside their goggles?

I skied with the Community Wear mask today, and while I liked how it fit -- it was a lot more comfortable and better fitting than the Buff filter mask -- I did have fogging and moisture issues. I ended up pulling it off my nose when I was skiing, then pulling it back up for the lift. Which is really a bit of a pain.

Try to make sure that your mask isn't letting your breath slide up under your goggles, so try tight nose wire, making goggles tighter, etc. I've been wearing a Seirus ComboClava for yrs, and I always have to watch that.

Also, the weather isn't that cold now, but how are you all planning to handle keeping your face warm while you're wearing your mask? I anticipated pulling my fleece gaiter up over my mask, which seems doable but somewhat bulky. But that could make the fogging problem even worse. And when it gets really cold, I like using my FaceSaver to keep my nose and upper cheeks warm. I can't even imagine how I'm going to manage the FaceSaver/mask/fleece combo this year.

I'll be using my ComboClava on my face, and wearing a regular mask over it, as in my post here: https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/masks-for-skiing.25020/post-421909

Christy

Angel Diva

This is why a number of us are loving the Abom googles!

Jilly

Staff member
I had issue with the Civil (CSIA logo'd) mask and my new Salomon visor helmet. Old Salomon helmet and goggles not issues. I think the problem with the visor was no ventilation at all. The moisture froze from the top down. So that makes me think about the vents and ventilation.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna