• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mashed Potatoes Tips

marzNC

Angel Diva
Spring wax! I literally had my skis stop under me in mashed potato conditions on a fairly gentle slope and nearly throw me over the front. I skied a LOT of slush that trip and this was next level sticky weirdness after some fresh snow earlier in the afternoon. I had all-temp wax on, and I suspect that really wasn't helping me slide either.
As I mentioned earlier, but you may have missed Post #10, one reason I'm very happy with having treated my skis with DPS Phantom is how they perform in the spring. While Phantom is equivalent to universal wax on cold snow, it's far better than warm weather wax when temps are over 40 degrees because it's a permanent base treatment. No matter how good the warm weather wax job is done, it can't last long. Sometimes not much more than a few hours.

Back in 2018 I did a direct comparison with two pairs of skis, one with a good warm temp wax job and the other with Phantom 1.0. I was skiing in May in Oregon and Mammoth. Temps were high enough that we were skiing 8:00-1:00 or even quitting at noon. I was much happier on the skis with Phantom. I had a paste wax that helped, but had to be re-applied once or twice during the ski day.

I did another direct comparison at Alta in April the following season. After that, I treated the of my skis with Phantom 2.0 (DIY at home). Well, not quite. I'm probably not going to put Phantom on my powder skis.

ThatJessGirl

Certified Ski Diva
Ladies, you all were right on the money with the wax! I went at 8am this morning and had my Kenjas spring waxed. I was out from 8:30-12:30 today and that stickiness was completely gone. Conditions this morning were untouched groomers in the mid 30’s changing to granular sticky snow with skied out ice patches as things warmed to 40° and by golly I couldn’t believe the difference. It was absolutely shocking how much just the wax played a difference!

ThatJessGirl

Certified Ski Diva
As I mentioned earlier, but you may have missed Post #10, one reason I'm very happy with having treated my skis with DPS Phantom is how they perform in the spring. While Phantom is equivalent to universal wax on cold snow, it's far better than warm weather wax when temps are over 40 degrees because it's a permanent base treatment. No matter how good the warm weather wax job is done, it can't last long. Sometimes not much more than a few hours.

Back in 2018 I did a direct comparison with two pairs of skis, one with a good warm temp wax job and the other with Phantom 1.0. I was skiing in May in Oregon and Mammoth. Temps were high enough that we were skiing 8:00-1:00 or even quitting at noon. I was much happier on the skis with Phantom. I had a paste wax that helped, but had to be re-applied once or twice during the ski day.

I did another direct comparison at Alta in April the following season. After that, I treated the of my skis with Phantom 2.0 (DIY at home). Well, not quite. I'm probably not going to put Phantom on my powder skis.
I’ve been giving a serious look at the Phantom treatment! If warm weather performance is that night and day, I’m thinking next season I’ll have my skis treated at the beginning of the season so I can really enjoy for a full season.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I really enjoy the process of waxing my skis - maybe once my Yumis are a bit older they will become my rock skis for those days that the snow is essentially gritty slush, and I will put Phantom on them at that point.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I really enjoy the process of waxing my skis - maybe once my Yumis are a bit older they will become my rock skis for those days that the snow is essentially gritty slush, and I will put Phantom on them at that point.

You can still wax over the phantom, you just don’t have to do it as frequently if you don’t want to. I agree with @marzNC on the superior spring snow performance versus any regular wax that wears off so quickly anyway.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga