• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mammoth/June Mountain 15/16

Jenifer

Diva in Training
Great Mammoth weekend (Dec 19 & 20), mostly off piste with fresh tracks all day Saturday then it turned a bit crusty on Sunday- but still some good freshies to be found. The face of 5 was also great. I heard the next storm will arrive in time for Christmas and be very cold...ala champagne powder. I hope to be skiing again New Years weekend.
Our group still has room in our shared condo for winter renters. Please contact me if you are interested.
(I am new to this venue, please let me know if I posted incorrectly).

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Resource shared by Team this morning warning re: side/back/slack country ...... "If you are aware of our current snowpack its very light, dry and airy. Now comes the weight of a heavy wet storm to sit on top of that. This creates a very unstable and dangerous snowpack. Please head here - https://www.esavalanche.org/ and read what your Sierras are offering at present."

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I was thinking the same thing this morning after I got the snow report that Northstar got 34 inches in a 24 hour period. Sorry, this post doesn't belong in your Mammoth thread.....

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe a "Sierra Snowpack" thread..... either way lots of snow, but lots of potential danger lurking.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well Santa will need Rudolph tonight for sure, current storm still producing more than expected ;)

Another 2ft of lighter powder on top of a slightly heavier base from past days storms.

Looking like a very Merry White Christmas!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
12/29/15
Ok I know its sideways, but another 6 inches + of really light fluffy snow yesterday afternoon/evening..... my tracks, comming out of tree line with big drifts :smile:

Holiday crowds are in full force now, mountain completely open, no snow expected for next few days. Hit or miss w/ lift lines.

Will try June in next few days, but hear its great!

20151229_104428.jpg

Last edited:

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
JUNE MT 12/31/15
Despite being a holiday day and the parking lot the fullest I've ever seen, no wait in lift lines and wide open zoomer groomers :smile:

The good: they have enough snow to be able to clip on at J1 and unload at the top; I finally got to enjoy Rainbow Summit and the double blacks under J7 and even found a few fresh tracks in the trees. (Best to stay in trees around J7, Rainbow not as much snow too much deadwood). The park is in good shape with a variety of features. Perfectly Groomed Empty runs most of the time! A great place to up your speed on your front side carvers and enjoy the slower pace and uncrowded runs June has to offer.

The not so good: It was very crowded during lunch, best to bring your own. The kitchen closes for hot food at 3:00. June's base is mid mountain- so you have to DOWN LOAD to get off the mountain as they currently don't have enough snow on the lower mountain. The line started to form at 3. (lifts close at 4). Our group was aware that it was best to be off the mountain by 2:30 or we would be waiting in line. We chose to ski last chair and to have a drink in the bar rather than wait in line. It was pitch DARK when we downloaded - which by the way is on an older two-seater chair...... very pretty to see the town lights and lake at night and a bit of an adventure for the kids in our group ;)

Mid week or non holiday probably don't have to worry about the down load line, and once they have more snow you can ski down.
Most amazing to me was despite the "crowd" the runs were relatively empty as they usually are.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
1/2/16
A surprise +6 inches today :smile: and more on the way next week. Feeling like I'm living in the $hit girl skiers say video .... (except for the pregnant and mascara parts lol )...... how much snow did we get ? It's so refreshing after the last 3 years and well, the real El Nino hasn't even started....yet...... next week should be good for So Cal including Big Bear and Mt High....

Last edited:

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
2/1/16 If anyone can get there when they finally open the top (later today or tomorrow) should be fantastic ...... Friday snow wet, Saturday lighter, and last night supposed to be 18:1 ratio plus some wind..... home now, but yesterday offered up some fun skiing despite top not being open - finally enough coverage on Eagle side and fantastic in the trees (powder drifts whooohooo)
Lots of avy control..... seems they are being very conservative / higher slide concern based on the varying snow this season .....

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This last week Mammoth got a series of storms. From Saturday to Tuesday, 33-43" totals. It was heavy, wet, and windy with poor visibility on Saturday. On Monday, the top of the mountain was still closed, but visibility was better, wind died down, and there was lovely snow.

90% chance of snow for this coming Friday. They're calling it "March Miracle" because they had so little accumulation in February.
NewJacket.jpg

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@VickiK did you get out on sunday? Agree, saturday was heavy, and slabbing. Sunday was Deep. A few people (ok snowboarders in the trees) really stuck in the deep spots, in the afternoon the wind kicked up some fabulous wind buff ;) back to work on monday for me, glad you got out after it cleared up! yes more on the way!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We were watching the cams on Sunday morning, and it seemed really windy with poor visibility again, so we went x-country skiing at Tamarack.

My usual trip is drive up Thurs night or early Friday morning and leave Sunday night, but this time we drove up early Sat., returned Monday night. Bonus--traffic was lighter in both directions!

I think it was or is spring break, because it seemed like there were plenty of people out and about in town on Sunday night and on the mountain on Monday.

Yes yes yes to more snow!

Just wondering what the mammoth folks thought about the California pass going for $999. I have some San Diego friends who only go to mammoth and are a little miffed that the pass is now a grand. I get the benefit of having the California pass but it would be cool if there was a pass that was for mammoth only for those that only go there.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't heard yet about the price of the 2016/17 pass.

The way it's depicted on the website, it's easy to think that it costs $999. I was confused too until I looked again. BUT I think $999 is the price of the 2015/16 pass, which is still on sale.

There should be early bird pricing. I hope anyway.

I haven't heard yet about the price of the 2016/17 pass.

The way it's depicted on the website, it's easy to think that it costs $999. I was confused too until I looked again. BUT I think $999 is the price of the 2015/16 pass, which is still on sale.

There should be early bird pricing. I hope anyway.

You are right. They refer to 16/17 passes going on sale but the pricing refers to 15/16.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Its always a FLUSTER CLUCK for season passes.

2016/17 CALI4NIA PASS SPRING SALE PRICE (3/21/16 - 4/4/16)
Adult (Ages 23–64) $749
($699 for existing passholders 3/21/16–3/23/16)

usually some extra perk like $100 mt credit for signing up early, nope, this year you get to save $50. if you were a pass holder last year.
Next year I'll make sure I eat as much bacon as possible at the early ups to cover my cost for the pass..........

oh and this year? they made a "take 4 days of lessons" and get a free seasons pass wtf. how about giving a free lesson to pass holders?

so far Im at $15 a day based on days skied so I can't complain LOL

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^ Totally agree. It's a CF each time because there's always some angle, some smoke and mirrors. Giving current pass holders 72 hours in which to buy at $699? I have no love for this. Am contemplating the Mt Collective Pass once again, or even an Epic Pass for locals.

But you really made use of yours, @WaterGirl , kudos. I at least broken even and plan to go up at least one more time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna