• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Love is a slippery slope.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
:bump:

Found this oldie and thought it'd be fun to bump it up.

Anyone have anything to add?

Trixie

Certified Ski Diva
I met my boyfriend on the chair at Big White. I was skiing by myself and cruised up the singles line. My iPod was hurting my ear so I took out an earbud to try to fix it. Then he started talking! Of course he has a cute Australian accent (:eyebrows:) and judging by his mix of race gear and freestyle gear (yes, I judge people by their clothes... I don't mean to... it just happens!) I thought he was probably an ok skiier. We got off the chair and after I was going to ski away he asked me to ski with him... how could I say no?! And it went from there. Turns out he was only at Big White visiting a friend but we've been doing the long distance thing...

Allie

Certified Ski Diva
A Tale Over Heard at Steeps Grill Roundhouse Whistler

It was the last day Steep's Grill was open at the Roundhouse on Whistler mountain this past season. I dropped in for lunch and over heard a wonderful story of two lovers who met on the lift. The table beside me had around 16-18 people in various ski/street attire. They were a group predominately in their 60's and 70's. They had come together at the request of the woman I heard speak when she stood up to address the group. The story...

Twenty-five/thirty years ago she was going up the Creekside lift with a stranger who struck up a conversation. He was from Seattle and she was from Vancouver. He originally thought she was with a man who was on a chair ahead of them who had got on the lift with two kids. She informed him she was single without kids. They took separate chair's up the next lift. When she got to the top she found he had decided to wait for her and they skied down to the next lift and took that third lift up together. They ended up skiing together and having a picnic lunch on the mountain.

Two weeks later she unexpectedly ran into him again at the bottom of the chairlift. They travelled the lift together. When they got to the top it was sleeting heavily outside and they went into the lodge to warm up with a coffee and to wait out the sleet and fog but conditions were not improving. He suggested they go down and have a hot-tub at his hotel to get warm. She declined saying she did not have a swimsuit to wear at the hotel. She suggested he instead join her at her cabin which she shared with other ski friends. He jumped at the chance. At the cabin she invited him to join her in their hot tub and informed him that they didn't wear swimsuits at her cabin but he could do so if he wanted too. That was the official start of their relationship.

They married a year and a week after they originally met. She told the group the day they met was always more important to both of them than the date they married. She was a better skier than he but they loved skiing and in particular Whistler. He worked for Boeing and Seattle became their home.

The lunch was a tribute to her lover who had recently passed away in his late 70s after a bought of illness with cancer. She had wanted to recreate the experience of the first day they met with taking of the chairlift from Creekside and then the two more chairs up the mountian to ski. Having a picnic on the side of the mountain was also on her list of events to recreate but Steep's restaurant seemed to be a better a choice given the number of people who had agreed to join her. I had a hard time not shedding tears overhearing her story which this is but a summary. She had stood right by my chair when she spoke. It was impossible to not hear every word and feel her energy.

She must have been in her mid-30s and he in his 40's when they met. Neither had ever married before. From her voice and the reaction of those gathered it was true and lasting love and a relationship filled with fun.

sdskiqueen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I first met my husband, I was separated and not really looking for a new relationship. But we talked a bit and I found out he was a skiier, I thought he was worth investigating. After all, I met him in San Diego and finding someone who likes to ski is a real find! Anyway, 15 years later, he's still my best ski buddy. Now we live in Denver and we have been able to ski more than either of us thought we'd ever be able to. Starting out, he was the better skiier by far, but now, we both have improved tremendously and when I'm on my game, can beat him down a bump run - no problem! However, male ego being what it is, I can't rub it in too much, he's not a happy camper when I do!

drjoyous

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok, I'm married to a ski fanatic, and I'm a ski fanatic...but that was luck.

I think we all look for many of the right things for compatability, but I think we underestimate making sure our mate is well-suited to our Play Time. I would never be in a serious relationship, for instance, with someone who was into the beach. I hate the salt and sand, and i DETEST heat. As one gets older (yikes), one wants the companionship of someone more and more--careers wind down, "lots of friends" winds down, kids grow up and leave the house. I never want to look at my mate and think "now what??"

I love that my DH loves skiing as much as I do. We are together as many hours as possible (since i teach, i have lots of summer/xmas time), and going on two decades, we are more in love than ever before. Are we older? Yeah. Do I find romance in coming home to a clean house (rather than flowers and candy)? BIG TIME. Do I love coming home to find my DH has located a particulary cute ski jacket for me and bought it for me and it arrives, only to fit perfectly and i love it? YEAH! Am I a jacket slut because he does this ALL THE TIME? Yeah.

So no, it's not weird to me to break up with someone who doesn't share your passion. Isnt passion what it's all about??

merrydog

Angel Diva
I dated a few guys that were skiers but my current boyfriend was not as into skiing as I. This season, though, he got in a few more days than the one or two that that he usually manages and now he has the bug! :laugh:

The thing was, before his current fascination with skiing, he loved the outdoors and being active. He also understood that I was passionate about skiing and was supportive of my activities. I once dated a guy who wasn't into the outdoors and was happy being a gym rat, I kinda knew that wasn't going to work in the long term.

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK, I need to rub the sleep out of my eyes.....I didn't check the date on the original post and immediately thought, "oh, what a bummer, they seemed so close to announcing an engagement." I wonder if she gives him a hard time about it!

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been married for 36 years and have 3 adult children----and there have been several chapters to our ski life:

1) pre-marriage, pre-kids: DH Utah native skied since elementry school with many animal ski friends, I was struggling to keep up as a new skier from the flatlands (moving from Iowa in 1969). Lots of fun trying to learn fast and keep up. A few adventures in backcountry death defiance related to youthful ignorance, one notable near-death experience in the La Salles on New Years Eve in a 1977 blizzard (near Moab).

2) early marriage / kid years: a near-divorce on a hike above Evergreen Chutes at Solitude, oh about 1982.....I really hated him and was not at my 'ski diva' best, really hated him. Not a Diva moment.

3) Today: DH just not that passionate about it anymore, my interest in learning/advancing is growing. He says over 50 years of skiing, not that much more to excite him, the crowds turn him off, tho he enjoys going when it's convenient. I cannot get enough. Sort of like a reversal from when we first met.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga