• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Love is a slippery slope.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Did anyone else notice that Prince William busted up with his long time girlfriend on a ski trip to Zermat?

There have been a few posts here about Divas finding love on the slopes. And while I'm sure that the Prince's breakup was probably in the works for a while (these things usually are), has anyone here had a relationship end while skiing?

altagirl

Staff member
Did anyone else notice that Prince William busted up with his long time girlfriend on a ski trip to Zermat?

There have been a few posts here about Divas finding love on the slopes. And while I'm sure that the Prince's breakup was probably in the works for a while (these things usually are), has anyone here had a relationship end while skiing?

I dumped to ex-bf's who... failed to live up to expectations on the slopes.

Yeah, that sounds horrible, but one kept telling me for months how much he LOVED skiing. Just loved it. Then every time I planned a trip, he had an excuse why we should go somewhere else and do something other than ski. We finally went, and it was a powder day, in Switzerland, and he said he'd rather hike and check out town. Okay, just admit it - you can't ski, can you. NO, I LOVE IT! I just don't feel like it today.

Maybe I'm a little over-obsessed with skiing. I admit it. But no one, and I mean no one who loves skiing passes on a powder day in switzerland because they aren't in the mood that day. So #1, dumped for not skiing, and as far as I can tell, lying about it.

#2 went on a ski trip with me and friends to Zermatt. He couldn't ski well and admitted it. I tried teaching him, which was ~meh~ not a disaster, but wasn't fun either. And he just didn't get the appeal at all. And then we were going to be long distance and just broke it off.

And honestly, after that I decided not to date anyone who doesn't get the sports I love. They don't have to go with me all the time, we can be into different things, but at least if he's into similar sports and can relate. And then I met my husband (on a ski trip) and we're both equally obsessed with skiing and biking and everything and it's worked out great.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In the reverse order

I have never had to dump a guy over skiing, but I have been dumped twice by guys in college whom thought I skied too much and didn't take life seriously. Oh well....

altagirl

Staff member
I have never had to dump a guy over skiing, but I have been dumped twice by guys in college whom thought I skied too much and didn't take life seriously. Oh well....

Yeah - that was a big part of the issue with Guy #1. He was always making me feel bad that I was wanting to "waste" time skiing in Europe when I could be doing cultured sorts of things instead of childish things like sports. Finding a guy who appreciates the same ski culture I do was the smartest move I've ever made!

So you're definitely better off without them!

BatGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So you're definitely better off without them!

These also sound like guys who didn't know how to have fun. If these were guys who didn't understand something you loved that much, I'm with altagirl - you're better off without them.

abc

Banned
Finding a guy who appreciates the same ski culture I do was the smartest move I've ever made!

Considering you did in the end found a prince on two planks, your decision to dump your earlier non-skiing guys was right! ;)

I haven't dump anyone over skiing. I guess I'm just not obsess with skiing enough myself.

I did go to Lake Tahoe on a powder day with a non-skiing partner at one time. I can still remember vividly my feeling of disappointment and regret for wasting such an opportunity.

abc

Banned
He was always making me feel bad that I was wanting to "waste" time skiing in Europe when I could be doing cultured sorts of things instead of childish things like sports.

These also sound like guys who didn't know how to have fun

It wasn't that long ago that outdoor recreation is FINALLY considered "healthy"! For both physical and mental health.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did go to Lake Tahoe on a powder day with a non-skiing partner at one time. I can still remember vividly my feeling of disappointment and regret for wasting such an opportunity.

We used to refer to these situations as: I guess I must have used up all of my fun tickets. I either have to bring him or stay home with him.

AG and BG those two guys were dorks anyway, but they sure could drink beer. They were sort of fun apres ski for awhile, but that got old fast. Oddly enough, they were the two that kept coming back, I lived on a busy street and the one would show up on the doorstep anytime he was going by and saw a different car in the driveway. The other dork sincerely thought we would break up until the end of ski season, and then we would get back together. I think he just wanted to free himself up in the mean time. ;)

lil mountain girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
i agree!

i can't see myself in any relationship where my other half can't relate to my undying love, and obsessive devotion to skiing, snow, and mountains.

after all, i did spend valentines day soul skiing with the loves of my life: my elans (and some nice pow)! :p

is it just me, or do you find this is true as well:
most of the males i know who ski well are a**es.
and although i love skiing and hanging out, the idea of including any one of them in a intimate relationship . . . sorry, not in a million!

or maybe i've been hanging out with patrollers too much! :o

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I've found that there are three groups of male skiers...and a miscellaneous non-skier:

1. The ones that don't ski and admit it....and think that skiing is a "phase" that I'll overcome. I guess hope springs eternal.

2. The ones who say they ski but neither are the same caliber as me nor share a similar "vision" of skiing (or riding), which winds up irritating me. I once met up with a guy who hyped up his snowboarding ability, and then when my friends and I got to the slope, he was falling every 10 yards. Yet, every time the other three of us were like, "Hey, we want to do this, and we can meet you down here when we're done," he insisted on coming up with us. Somewhere in there, the ego of guys in this category cannot handle that their perception of their skiing/boarding ability is not in line with reality, and it's just a trainwreck from here. Take a lesson. Please. Yeah, I get that you're interested in me, but your personality does not make up for your misrepresentation of skiing (or riding) ability. I've found that I've been very compatible with some snowboarders at the slopes because of level and approach towards the on-mountain experience. And I'll admit that I reveal much snobbery when describing this category!

3. The ones who are obsessed with skiing and wicked skilled and subscribe to the "there are no friends on powder days" mantra. This shows that the list of priorities goes: 1. skiing; 2. Pequenita. I don't like being #2. And sure, I recognize that this is sort of the reverse of #2 above.

4. The ones that are my friends on powder days!

BatGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
2. The ones who say they ski but neither are the same caliber as me nor share a similar "vision" of skiing (or riding), which winds up irritating me. I once met up with a guy who hyped up his snowboarding ability, and then when my friends and I got to the slope, he was falling every 10 yards. Yet, every time the other three of us were like, "Hey, we want to do this, and we can meet you down here when we're done," he insisted on coming up with us. Somewhere in there, the ego of guys in this category cannot handle that their perception of their skiing/boarding ability is not in line with reality, and it's just a trainwreck from here. Take a lesson. Please. Yeah, I get that you're interested in me, but your personality does not make up for your misrepresentation of skiing (or riding) ability. I've found that I've been very compatible with some snowboarders at the slopes because of level and approach towards the on-mountain experience. And I'll admit that I reveal much snobbery when describing this category!

I don't think that's snobbery at all. In a way, the guy's not being honest with you, and there's a red flag for other issues right there. Additionally, who needs a guy who's so insecure he has to misrepresent his abilities?

I'd have more respect for a guy that says from the start, "I'm not at your level, but I'd like to get better for myself and because it'll give us something to share together." Granted, there's a slim chance it'll get expressed like that, but better the honesty and willingness to improve than flat-out strutting with no skills to back it up.

altagirl

Staff member
3. The ones who are obsessed with skiing and wicked skilled and subscribe to the "there are no friends on powder days" mantra. This shows that the list of priorities goes: 1. skiing; 2. Pequenita. I don't like being #2. And sure, I recognize that this is sort of the reverse of #2 above.

4. The ones that are my friends on powder days!

My husband and I will usually wait for each other on powder days. But the key is we don't have to. Particularly if we only have a couple hours to ski and have to get back to work - then all bets are off.

And I wouldn't want it any other way because it works well for both of us. We just have to decide what the deal is each day. And if one of us can't go skiing (or can't go at the same time) you just go yourself and don't feel guilty about it. A co-worker of mine couldn't go ridng last night because his wife was on call and he'd feel guilty because she wanted to go but couldn't. Huh?

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
and although i love skiing and hanging out, the idea of including any one of them in a intimate relationship . . . sorry, not in a million

I think this can be particularily true of any male that is good at anything in his twenties. They seem to mellow out in their 30's though. So many outdoorswomen including myself, either did not get married until they were in their 30's or like me married a man that was significantly older. It would be interesting to hear the age differences of the other Divas and their SO's. Or perhaps this is just a regional trend. I do live in lowbagger central.
My husband is 11 years older than me.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There is an unspoken rule at our ski area, that you don't have to wait for anyone on a powder day. It was well intact prior to meeting my hub so never an issue. Our lift lines are limited, but if you let a chair go by on a powder day, you are a loser, they have a name for people like you. That being said, it is also a small enough area that the slow guy just hooks up with another group of friends they know and noone ever gets mad. It works in a silly way.

abc

Banned
And sure, I recognize that this is sort of the reverse of #2 above!

I think skiing is one of the cruelest sport when it comes to accomondating your less capable partners!

I've waited for my slower cycling friends/partners. I've been the slower one myself. I've even waited for, and being waited, my friends/partners on x-c skiing trips.

Nothing! Nothing compares to downhill skiing. Waiting for my partner simply kills me!

And one of my boyfriend who's a better skier, I could SEE his frustration on the first day of the trip! Fortunately for him, and for me, I was quite near his level. So once he gave me a few pointers (more like when to use what technique), I was able to go where he wants to go, and wasn't too far behind.

lil mountain girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't think that's snobbery at all. In a way, the guy's not being honest with you, and there's a red flag for other issues right there. Additionally, who needs a guy who's so insecure he has to misrepresent his abilities?

I'd have more respect for a guy that says from the start, "I'm not at your level, but I'd like to get better for myself and because it'll give us something to share together." Granted, there's a slim chance it'll get expressed like that, but better the honesty and willingness to improve than flat-out strutting with no skills to back it up.

i agree.

after all, HE'S the one who can't be honest with himself and others -- i think he probably fits the snob bill a little better!

gloria:
i think you may be on to something in the age catagory . . .
and if they're not in their twenties, they think they are -- age is a mindset after all ;)

also, where DO you live?
hippies and rednecks, lowbagger central . . . not to mention powderday ethics -- are you sure we're not neighbours??? :D

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
lil mountain girl, I am about 7 hours south of the Kootenay Selkirk, Nelson region. About 10 miles due east of Kootenai Canyon though. Nelson reminds me of the town we live near in MT about 15 years ago. Very similiar scenes. I have done BC skiing in that region, but am planning on a family trip on area next season, I will have to get in touch to get the beta on the areas. I think we have similiar ski interests and you can probably send us to the right low key area with all the goods! We won't give up your stashes or side slip them!;)

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The slippery slope of dating?

I've never broken up on the slope, but I've seen guys who should have broken up with "drama queen" ish women on the slopes.
:p

abc

Banned
"Love is a slippery slope"

Yeah, make sure you get the most fun sliding down it fast. There'll be no lift to take you back up!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna