• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Looking for a goldilocks ski: low 80s, damp, lightweight, turny

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
tl;dr - Thoughts on the Elan Wildcat 82C, 82CX, or Black Pearl 82 (2023+)?

I'm looking for something that combines my favorite qualities of my current skis. I am 5'5", 135lbs, and ski mostly green groomers in Tahoe with occasional forays into the baby park, rollers, or ditches.

My current skis:
2023 Elan Wildcat 76 in 158cm: Lightweight, easy to turn, but I'm starting to reach its speed limit

2022 Nordica Wild Belle in 156cm: Damp, stable, but heavy and hurts my foot on the lift sometimes due to the weight. Also, I think these are a little short for me now (while only 2cm shorter than my Wildcats on paper, the Wildcats have a long running length). Going up to the 162 would just be even heavier.

I understand that part of how the Wild Belle is so damp is its weight, but I think there's a middle ground somewhere. I've identified these possibilities but unfortunately have no way to demo them:

Wildcat 82C or 82CX - These are still light and easy to turn according to reviews. 82C adds a carbon layer while 82CX uses carbon tubes like in the Ripsticks. I could potentially go up to 164cm in these, as they have a little more rocker than the Wildcat 76, but Elan's chart suggests staying at 158cm.

Black Pearl 82 - I have demoed the 2021 version of these in 159cm. They weren't as stable as the Wild Belles in the lumpy spring snow; however, 2023+ adds a layer of titanal. Also, due to the quite long rocker, I'd probably go with the 166cm, as the running length on the 159 is shorter than either of my current skis.

Any thoughts on these models or lengths? I haven't found much on the effective differences of the Wildcat 82C vs 82CX, other than CX is considered more advanced. I also assume CX is stiffer, but weirdly Soothski says the opposite. And as much as I like my current Wildcats, maybe the BP82 is more versatile?

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks! I'll take a look at the Armada. Sadly, nothing this narrow is available to demo. I'm planning to buy used so if I don't like it, I can re-sell and not be out much.
Ah, curse of the West coast, I remember now. Yea, I could not hardly find anything narrow either. I lucked out when Crystal Mountain carried the Volkl Yumi demo one year - both narrowish and light, but they haven't really carried anything in that category since!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
There's a lot of love on here for the Volkl Blaze W 86.

It's very light and easy to turn. And more stable due to the slightly wider platform.

beane

Certified Ski Diva
tl;dr - Thoughts on the Elan Wildcat 82C, 82CX, or Black Pearl 82 (2023+)?

I'm looking for something that combines my favorite qualities of my current skis. I am 5'5", 135lbs, and ski mostly green groomers in Tahoe with occasional forays into the baby park, rollers, or ditches.

My current skis:
2023 Elan Wildcat 76 in 158cm: Lightweight, easy to turn, but I'm starting to reach its speed limit

2022 Nordica Wild Belle in 156cm: Damp, stable, but heavy and hurts my foot on the lift sometimes due to the weight. Also, I think these are a little short for me now (while only 2cm shorter than my Wildcats on paper, the Wildcats have a long running length). Going up to the 162 would just be even heavier.

I understand that part of how the Wild Belle is so damp is its weight, but I think there's a middle ground somewhere. I've identified these possibilities but unfortunately have no way to demo them:

Wildcat 82C or 82CX - These are still light and easy to turn according to reviews. 82C adds a carbon layer while 82CX uses carbon tubes like in the Ripsticks. I could potentially go up to 164cm in these, as they have a little more rocker than the Wildcat 76, but Elan's chart suggests staying at 158cm.

Black Pearl 82 - I have demoed the 2021 version of these in 159cm. They weren't as stable as the Wild Belles in the lumpy spring snow; however, 2023+ adds a layer of titanal. Also, due to the quite long rocker, I'd probably go with the 166cm, as the running length on the 159 is shorter than either of my current skis.

Any thoughts on these models or lengths? I haven't found much on the effective differences of the Wildcat 82C vs 82CX, other than CX is considered more advanced. I also assume CX is stiffer, but weirdly Soothski says the opposite. And as much as I like my current Wildcats, maybe the BP82 is more versatile?
I find the wildcats are on the demanding end, though they are lightweight. I have the 86cx in a 164. They have quite a long effective edge and like to go fast. They're not heavy or hard to turn, but off piste I find the tails a bit grabby (could be I'm just not a good enough skier for them?).

I think your requirements of "damp" and "lightweight" might be at odds. In my (limited) experience, damper skis tend to be heavier b/c they have metal and the lighter skis tend to give you more feedback/not feel that damp.

Can you do a personal demo day? I did that this weekend at Alpine/Palisades and it was super fun to swap out skis and experience the different feelings. It was $82 and you can swap as many times as you like.

mustski

Angel Diva
It is tough to find narrow skis to test out west and light and damp do not generally go hand in hand. Something to add would be the Fischer Ranger 84. It is nimble and agile and it certainly felt light on snow and SMOOTH! They weigh 1600 grams which is less than the Wildcats. I haven't skied the Wildcats so I can't compare. The Blaze 86 comes in at under 1300 grams and is one of the lightest skis out there. When you speak of dampness are you meaning that you don't want to feel differences in snow under foot? I like a damp ski because I can power through the chop and not feel things like frozen cookies underfoot too much. It's not as much an issue with out western snow and more a man made snow and/or melt freeze cycle issue.

Something to look at might be skis with carbon. It is lighter than titanal though some people are bothered by the pinging noise on hard snow.

@SnowHot Damp and light? Narrow ski?

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Can you do a personal demo day? I did that this weekend at Alpine/Palisades and it was super fun to swap out skis and experience the different feelings. It was $82 and you can swap as many times as you like.
Unfortunately not. We usually go to Kirkwood, and I did peek in their demo center again yesterday in case it had changed, but they had no women's skis narrower than 86mm or longer than 158cm.

When you speak of dampness are you meaning that you don't want to feel differences in snow under foot?
Mostly I want something that doesn't get tossed around too much in afternoon chop. My Wild Belles power through pretty well.

I found a really good deal on the Wildcat 82 C in 164cm. I figured going a little longer than my Wildcat 76 plus adding the carbon weave would add some extra stability without going overly stiff. And if I don't like them, I can resell them.

The Armada Reliance 82Ti sounded interesting, too, but I was worried it would be too stiff. I'll keep the Ranger 84 in mind if I ever find somewhere with narrower demos. Same for the Blaze 86 (I only ever see Kenjas).

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I found a really good deal on the Wildcat 82 C in 164cm. I figured going a little longer than my Wildcat 76 plus adding the carbon weave would add some extra stability without going overly stiff. And if I don't like them, I can resell them.
Good luck, hope you love them when you report back. As you say, you can always resell!

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Atomic Maven 86C?

beane

Certified Ski Diva
Atomic Maven 86C?
This might be a good choice. I demo'd the 93C and it was super light and flickable, tails less grabby than the Elan Wildcat. I wouldn't call it damp, though, you def get feedback from the snow.

I felt the Volkl blaze (I tried the 94w) was a bit damper but still light.

mustski

Angel Diva
I skied the 2024 Total Joy and it was surprisingly smooth - no chatter or tip flap like the earlier models. It wasn’t a particularly cut up day though so I can’t say how it would feel in crud.

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the Wildcat 86 in a 158 -- I'm your height/weight. I like them for groomers, choppy snow, and they're very stable. They don't like to go slow and while they turn well they do bounce you around if you get back seat at all.

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love my '23 Super Joys and my '19 Wild Joys. My '21 MX83s are pretty awesome too. I have a pair of '21 Stockli Stormrider 83s that are pretty great also.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna