• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Living in a resort town

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I first moved to Telluride I was a little concerned I would find it a little confining. It's a very small town and very isolated from the rest of the world. And while I some days want to just get in my car and drive down valley to escape the smallness, it's days like today that make me love the place. With the anticipation of this weekend's storm there is just a buzz in the air. It's like the entire town has a completely shared purpose and sense of joy. You simply cannot have a conversation with anyone without a giddy, childlike glee being expressed over our impending dumping. I love living here...

cinnabon

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love living here...
:jealous: I've only been there once and it was in the summer. One day there was a rainbow over the mountains (looking up towards that waterfall), and all the locals ran out into the street to see it - even living there they were just as excited as the visitors. It's an amazing little town! There is a chance I'll be skiing there in March - hopefully it will happen.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, that's wonderful! I agree that when I spend time in Vail (Eagle-Vail actually) and act more like a local than a day visitor I get a sense of that buzz as well. It's my dream to be able to move to the mountains one day.

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
Aspen/Snowmass is such an amazing place too. I know there are many people who couldn't handle the laid back almost pretend atmosphere here, but it's right up my alley.

I think anyone living here from 16-99 years old can get away with living this "ski bum" lifestyle forever. (Well as long as you can find housing.) But that ski-bum lifestyle brings the entire community together. In the suburbs...perhaps some people golf, garden, bike, shop, cook....but here EVERYONE skis/rides. EVERYONE. It's like our small special beautiful family. Lots of people say here that the mountains are my church. And I've never been a religious person, but this makes the most sense to me.

I live in a ski town and it's the best thing that's ever happened to me.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I live in a ski town, too -- not of the same scope as Aspen or Telluride, but a ski town, nonetheless. Not everyone here skis, but everyone does depend on the mountain to bring in the tourists or vacation home people. That means money. So when it snows, people are very, very happy. (They're also happy when the leaves change. Hey, this is Vermont!)

All the same, I love being a local. It's nice to be here when everyone else leaves. And it's nice here all year round, too.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, it's neat that you see all your ski buddies in the grocery store all year long.

I was in Telluride once for a week about 18 years ago. I hear it's changed quite a bit since then. But, I did ski the Plunge (was terrified of course...I wonder if I'd be better now???)

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wouldn't trade living in Park City for anyplace else. Well, OK, maybe a fully restored villa in Tuscany :wink:

I've lived here for 20 years, seen it change from part time resort to full blown year-round resort. I've seen the housing boom out in the Basin (the part between I-80 and the actual town limits) grow from nothing to thousands. But, I love the town. It still has the small town feel. And, I think we have the best of both worlds, with Salt Lake City and it's stores and restaurants and a world-class airport only an 30 minute drive down the canyon. It's a laid-back lifestyle that you just can't get everywhere.

cinnabon

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wouldn't trade living in Park City for anyplace else. Well, OK, maybe a fully restored villa in Tuscany :wink:

I've lived here for 20 years, seen it change from part time resort to full blown year-round resort. I've seen the housing boom out in the Basin (the part between I-80 and the actual town limits) grow from nothing to thousands. But, I love the town. It still has the small town feel. And, I think we have the best of both worlds, with Salt Lake City and it's stores and restaurants and a world-class airport only an 30 minute drive down the canyon. It's a laid-back lifestyle that you just can't get everywhere.
I agree - I love PC, and I hope eventually to live up there.:love: It's a real plus having all the amenities of SL so close by, but to still have a small western town feel.

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We live in a resort town, too, only not a ski town. We're at one of the state's most popular beaches, and our tiny community boasts 5 fishing charter marinas.
It's just awful in the summer with the "summer people" and the fishermen and the day trippers. Last summer, someone speeding out of one of the marinas hit and killed my friend's dog and just kept on going!:mad:
After labor day, everyone goes home and we locals have the beaches to ourselves. We can even get into a restaurant on a weekend night without having to wait 2 hours.

tahoe girl

Diva in Training
I try really hard to remember that the visitors are a gift--we, none of us, can survive here without the visitors. But, those times of year when the visitors are minimal and the weather beautiful...those are a gift that I tear into with glee.

Happy Snow!
Tahoe Girl

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I try really hard to remember that the visitors are a gift--we, none of us, can survive here without the visitors. But, those times of year when the visitors are minimal and the weather beautiful...those are a gift that I tear into with glee.

Happy Snow!
Tahoe Girl

Totally true. Park City was on the verge of becoming a veritable ghost town in the 60s before someone thought of creating a ski area. They even got some money from the Federal Government to help convert the Treasure Mountain mine area into what is now Park City Mountain Resort.

snow_goddess85

Diva in Training
I lived in Lake Tahoe (Kings Beach) for two winters and I miss it so much! As we speak I am working on a way to move back! I love living around people who have the same interests and lifestyle. Having the ability to trade lift tickets for a discounted dinner, hooking a friend up with a sweet ski tune.... the only thing that was hard is the transit community... people always coming and going, it is sad to see friends leave....it was sad when I left...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna