• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Let’s roll the dice on some new skis, shall we?

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
I am in your tribe.

I really thought I was the only person who didn’t like the Black Pearls. Too funny how we get this sort of impression, when a ski is popular.
I even tried on two different seasons - two different models. Yikes!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I even tried on two different seasons - two different models. Yikes!
Same here, I dislike most of the new Black Pearls that everyone else seems to love. Though I still have the original Black Pearls as rock skis from long ago that are nothing like the current iterations. And I love Blizzard in general.

I always try to demo before buying. I’ve had a few times where I couldn’t get off of a ski fast enough when demoing, and times I don’t want to get off of a pair of skis for the rest of the day.

SmuggsSkier

Certified Ski Diva
Did you get on them before buying?
No. I get pro deals and will ski on just about anything, even if the ski is not great. The only skis I've ever had that I loved was a pair of Dynastar Edens. Those were great skis. Several women I teach skiing with had the Edens too and loved them. Mine are too old and beat up to ski on anymore. I miss those skis a lot. In between the Edens and the Black Pearls, I bought a pair of Volkl Flairs, which were good but not a likely and responsive as the Edens.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Same here, I dislike most of the new Black Pearls that everyone else seems to love. Though I still have the original Black Pearls as rock skis from long ago that are nothing like the current iterations. And I love Blizzard in general.

I always try to demo before buying. I’ve had a few times where I couldn’t get off of a ski fast enough when demoing, and times I don’t want to get off of a pair of skis for the rest of the day.
It is always preferable to get to demo before purchasing needless to say.

I cannot remember one women specific skis that I liked.....

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I cannot remember one women specific skis that I liked..
Thought you have 2 pairs of Kenjas!

Yes to demo-ing. I always demo before purchasing because I don't want to base my purchase on "what everyone else likes." That goes with boots too.
I'm 5'1 @105 and not your typical size woman.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
No. I get pro deals and will ski on just about anything, even if the ski is not great. The only skis I've ever had that I loved was a pair of Dynastar Edens. Those were great skis. Several women I teach skiing with had the Edens too and loved them. Mine are too old and beat up to ski on anymore. I miss those skis a lot. In between the Edens and the Black Pearls, I bought a pair of Volkl Flairs, which were good but not a likely and responsive as the Edens.
Flairs are beginners pair, so I assume super floppy and not responsive.
Try unisex pair. Women specific skis are very floppy in general.

Last edited:

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Thought you have 2 pairs of Kenjas!

Yes to demo-ing. I always demo before purchasing because I don't want to base my purchase on "what everyone else likes." That goes with boots too.
I'm 5'1 @105 and not your typical size woman.
Kenja are made the same as Kendo, which are mens skis. Kenja just got more feminine top sheet and offer shorter version.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Kenja are made the same as Kendo, which are mens skis. Kenja just got more feminine top sheet and offer shorter version.

I recently gave a pair of 2012 Kenjas to a friend who was skiing on some old old skis..... she loves them.

Reactions: AJM

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Glad to hear that I am not the only person who is not a Black Pearl fan.
Definitely not just you! I tend to try them once every year as I have a friend who totally believes in the Blizzard product. He has finally even given up looking sad when I take them back and just say “no“!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Definitely not just you! I tend to try them once every year as I have a friend who totally believes in the Blizzard product. He has finally even given up looking sad when I take them back and just say “no“!
Have you tried any other Blizzard skis though? I love Blizzard, just not the Black Pearls.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
@MissySki if you're looking for narrower skis, how about the BP 78 or Cheyenne 78? Have you tried them? Maybe similar to Sheevas only narrower?

BTW, I was in St Moritz and Davos/Klosters in 2019 and could not for the life of me find a ski wider than 78 as "nobody here wants skis that wide." So I took out the Stockli AX78 and I was a disaster on them. It was snowing really hard with zero visibility and tons of deep, chopped up snow. I could not see 2 ft in front of me and had no idea where I was. My friend was sick the first ski day so was solo at a huge Swiss ski resort. I fell once and realized I was outside the piste markers and in a ditch. That being said, they were okay on the groomed runs but guess I'm not much of a carver!

Reactions: AJM

MissySki

Angel Diva
@MissySki if you're looking for narrower skis, how about the BP 78 or Cheyenne 78? Have you tried them? Maybe similar to Sheevas only narrower?

BTW, I was in St Moritz and Davos/Klosters in 2019 and could not for the life of me find a ski wider than 78 as "nobody here wants skis that wide." So I took out the Stockli AX78 and I was a disaster on them. It was snowing really hard with zero visibility and tons of deep, chopped up snow. I could not see 2 ft in front of me and had no idea where I was. My friend was sick the first ski day so was solo at a huge Swiss ski resort. I fell once and realized I was outside the piste markers and in a ditch. That being said, they were okay on the groomed runs but guess I'm not much of a carver!
The Cheyenne was mentioned on SkiTalk too, and actually seems to check the boxes really well for what I was hoping to find when I read some reviews. Stinks it isn’t made anymore to demo.. is the BP 78 a thing still?? The Cheyenne from 2017 is available new for sale online for like $250, so hardly a big expenditure to try..

I also wasn’t sure which size I’d go with in this type of ski. Do I go shorter to 156.. or 163 which is in the range I’d normally ski for an all mountain ski?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
The Cheyenne was mentioned on SkiTalk too, and actually seems to check the boxes really well for what I was hoping to find when I read some reviews. Stinks it isn’t made anymore to demo.. is the BP 78 a thing still?? The Cheyenne from 2017 is available new for sale online for like $250, so hardly a big expenditure to try..

I also wasn’t sure which size I’d go with in this type of ski. Do I go shorter to 156.. or 163 which is in the range I’d normally ski for an all mountain ski?
Hmm I don't know about size when it comes to a narrower ski? I have always (except for decades ago) skied on skis in the 150's to 162 range. My longest and favorite skis were Salomon 180's......crazy, huh?

ETA: just looked up the ski BP 78. I would get a 151..... I'm tempted too....

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hmm I don't know about size when it comes to a narrower ski? I have always (except for decades ago) skied on skis in the 150's to 162 range. My longest and favorite skis were Salomon 180's......crazy, huh?

It's hard to say. You know I liked the BP88 and BP98 when renting at Taos. I demo'd the BP78 elsewhere and didn't like them. Didn't even like the Cheyenne either even though I liked the original Black Pearl @88 underfoot and every other version of the BP88 that came out before 2019.

MissySki

Angel Diva

Is the BP 78 the same as what the Cheyenne was? I never kept up with the iterations for these models..

For reference, which size do you ski the Sheeva in? I ski that in 164. Since the Cheyenne/BP 78 have some tip and tail rocker, I wonder if the 156 would feel obscenely short..

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
It's hard to say. You know I liked the BP88 and BP98 when renting at Taos. I demo'd the BP78 elsewhere and didn't like them. Didn't even like the Cheyenne either even though I liked the original Black Pearl @88 underfoot and every other version of the BP88 that came out before 2019.
What I remember is you thought you were on the BP 88's in a 152 but I was looking at your skis and saw they were the 145's ! Right?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
And the following year I thought I was on the SA 93's in a 153 and returned them and the shop guy said, "how did you like the 161's?"

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Is the BP 78 the same as what the Cheyenne was? I never kept up with the iterations for these models..

For reference, which size do you ski the Sheeva in? I ski that in 164. Since the Cheyenne/BP 78 have some tip and tail rocker, I wonder if the 156 would feel obscenely short..
Don't know but curious for that price ........ Sheeva 9's are 157 and Sheeva 10's are 156........

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga