• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Let’s roll the dice on some new skis, shall we?

Covie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I have a confession: I love researching skis online and deciding to buy a pair without even touching them!

So help me roll the dice!

about me:
5’8, 130lbs, advanced, live in the east, vacation the in west
Current skis: 2021 K2 Mindbender 88 ti & 2019 Kastle LX 85
Boots: Nordica Speedmachine 115 w
my thing: I want to keep up with the boys! Love GS turns.

why I want/need new skis: I let it rip a few times on a double black on firm snow, with some chop and the Mindbender tails washed out. I had surpassed their speed limit and I barely recovered multiple times. Scary! The kastles on the other hand just aren’t fun enough. I have 3 kids and when I ski with them I want to play around and hit some small airs, be nimble in the trees and bumps and ski switch with ease to watch my littlest ones.

on my research I perform while drinking white wine, very late at night, I have the following shortlist of potentials:

- Nordica Unleashed 98w - seems to have it all, playful but stable at speed, carves well, has ti sheet and full sidewall, more rocker in the tail, almost a full twin tip.

- Rossignol Rallybird 102 or 104 ti, seeing mixed reviews on these skis. I almost checked out my cart until I found a lukewarm Blister review. Again seems to do it all but less playful.

- Line Sick Day, a buddy recommended this, I dunno seems to fit the bill

- Line Pandora 104. I’ve been told my fav ski (that was just too long in 178, the savoury 7 was a soft ski and that I would like this!) intrigued by the short radius.

- Declivity 102
- Fischer Ranger 102

anything else to look at, or recommendations on my shortlist appreciated.
TIA

Covie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
These were mentioned to me today at a ski shop. I’m hesitant since I really disliked the black pearl and felt like an outsider, these worry me in that vein.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I swtiched to them as I really disliked the BPs and they are a totally different ski. I love mine and I know others feel the same .... calling @santacruz skier and @MissySki
Agree -- I demo'd both Black Pearl and Sheeva 9 skis last season -- they couldn't be more different. Decided on the Sheeva.

marzNC

Angel Diva
What about DPS? I've been demo'ing them at the Alta Demo Day in early April for a while. My favorite skis to rent for a power day were the Nina 99 for a while as a petite older skier just starting to get the hang of fresh snow over 10 inches. As DPS skis evolved, I settled on the Zelda as the best design for skiing deep powder and groomers in between. The Yvette at 112 underfoot was great in powder over 10 inches but too much work on a groomer.

Note that I have no interest in touring and only ski on resort, but will do a short hike such as for Catherine's at Alta more than once a day for good snow. Ended up buying Zeldas from a Diva in SLC and have been very happy with them. Decided to treat them with Phantom Glide last spring so that they would be that much more fun for spring skiing in warmer temps at Alta.

The current DPS lines called RP and C2 are designed for different emphasis. All are unisex. For instance the Foundation RP 100 comes in lengths from 153cm to 189cm.

July 2022

September 2022

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It almost sounds to me like you are looking for two new pairs of skis- a narrower pair for carving up the firm blacks, and a wider one for playing with the kids. If you are looking to stick with just one new pair, have you considered any Factions?

Covie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree, it really does make sense to keep 2 new pairs in mind. Especially if I can find last season’s models to save on costs.

I will look into the DPS, I really haven’t looked them up in ages. Like you, I won’t be touring beyond a quick hike around a ski resort. Burly is ok! Although my son seems interested in the park, and I’m not opposed to playing around in there with him (if there aren’t too many teenagers to make fun of me!).

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I swtiched to them as I really disliked the BPs and they are a totally different ski. I love mine and I know others feel the same .... calling @santacruz skier and @MissySki
Sounds like you want a wider ski.... check out the Sheeva 10's as I demoed them in Tahoe a few years ago for 2 days and now am the proud of owner of some that I bought from a diva here!

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I really enjoy the Sheeva 12 I picked up without demoing and now am interested in trying the narrower Sheeva widths too….

Reactions: AJM

MissySki

Angel Diva
I really enjoy the Sheeva 12 I picked up without demoing and now am interested in trying the narrower Sheeva widths too….
I didn’t even know there was a 12! How wide are they? I have the 9 and have tried the 10, have wanted to try the 11 but never worked out.

Covie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Since I can demo the Sheeva and Santa Ana lines, I think I will do that, but demos start in January; how can diva wait that loooooong? I asked the Nordica rep about an Unleashed demo, they aren’t demoing it around here, but he said I’d like it and should pull the trigger.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I didn’t even know there was a 12! How wide are they? I have the 9 and have tried the 10, have wanted to try the 11 but never worked out.
Think 108 .... oh yeah a Sheeva 11 I mean..... don't know about a Sheeva 12... Pleased with my Sheeva 9's and soon to try again Sheeva 10's. Will take to Tahoe and get bindings adjusted and summer wax off....

Reactions: AJM

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Problem (first world problem) is I'll be skiing Park City the week before Taos.... and only want to take one pair.... prob Sheeva 9's as super nimble in Taos bumps but what if it's dumping in Utah???

Posse Mama

Certified Ski Diva
These were mentioned to me today at a ski shop. I’m hesitant since I really disliked the black pearl and felt like an outsider, these worry me in that vein.
Glad to hear that I am not the only person who is not a Black Pearl fan.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna