• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Lessons on artificial snow: Yes or no?

MissySki

Angel Diva
It’s not just your turn improvement exhibited in these videos, but also your confidence and comfort overall. Well done! I wish we had something like this nearby, it’d be fun to be able to train in the off season.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wish we had something like this here near Boston. Working on technique is so much easier when one isn't focused on having a good time skiing with friends. And doing it in the summer is invaluable.

Congrats to @EdithP for getting to her goal! The difference between the first video and the last is huge.

EdithP

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It’s not just your turn improvement exhibited in these videos, but also your confidence and comfort overall. Well done! I wish we had something like this nearby, it’d be fun to be able to train in the off season.
Very true. The reason I was seeing no progress for a long time was that I was so tense and unable to relax. But step by step it went and I started to pick up .

newbieM

Angel Diva
You did it!! It was such a wonderful progression.

I once exchanged emails with Kim Reichhelm who told me the following -

“It's a wonderful sport and one that you will be able to do for the rest of your life. It's unique in that you don't have to be good at it to enjoy it.”

I really try to remind myself that. Skiing is something I can and absolutely should enjoy even if I’m still learning and not very good at it.

keep on doing what you are doing!

EdithP

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You did it!! It was such a wonderful progression.

I once exchanged emails with Kim Reichhelm who told me the following -

“It's a wonderful sport and one that you will be able to do for the rest of your life. It's unique in that you don't have to be good at it to enjoy it.”

I really try to remind myself that. Skiing is something I can and absolutely should enjoy even if I’m still learning and not very good at it.

keep on doing what you are doing!
Thank you! Yes, skiing is a wonderful sport, which one becomes hooked on. But as to Kim Reichhelm's comment, I would like to rephrase it. "Skiing is a wonderful sport that can be enjoyed at any level of skill". Let's stay positive :wave:

EdithP

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wish we had something like this here near Boston. Working on technique is so much easier when one isn't focused on having a good time skiing with friends. And doing it in the summer is invaluable.

Congrats to @EdithP for getting to her goal! The difference between the first video and the last is huge.
Thank you especially @liquidfeet . And I hope those rolling carpets will become more frequent. Previous to starting lessons there I had experienced lessons from four or five different instructors and got practically nowhere. I don't blame anybody, mind. Just the setup of having five days' stay in the mountains and therefore five days of lessons, did not allow for anything better. And, sure, I was not a brilliant student. I am alll the more grateful for finding this method of learning on the carpet.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@EdithP. After so much time on both the carpet and real snow, I am curious if the carpet is slower? Does ot feel more controlled and less other factors to manage while learning?

You progress is significant. Can't wait to read about how it translates to snow. So many things to manage when ski. Bravo!

EdithP

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well done @EdithP all your hard work and determination has definitely paid off :yahoo:
To me that rolling carpet thingy looks terrifying, I can imagine myself getting chewed up and unceremoniously spat out so I admire you even more !! xx
There is definitely something to it. I too felt absolutely terrified initially and it shows, doesn't it? I especially could not bring myself to lift that proverbial tail of the inside ski, no way! The reason being that the carpet vibrates, creating an additional obstacle to your balance. But - I was aware that this is my last chance to learn to ski, even at this most basic intermediate rung. (I am in my sixties). That was a powerful realisation. And actually, after a while, you get used to it and it feels as comfortable as a real snowy piste. I even derive a certain snug satisfaction (confession time) when I see very experienced skiers coming for the first time for a quick warm up before a winter jaunt into Alps. No matter their expertise, absolutely everybody clocks one or two falls during the first five minutes, and well, for a minute I have a reason to feel ever so slightly more in the know:wink:.

EdithP

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@EdithP. After so much time on both the carpet and real snow, I am curious if the carpet is slower? Does ot feel more controlled and less other factors to manage while learning?

You progress is significant. Can't wait to read about how it translates to snow. So many things to manage when ski. Bravo!
First, thank you!
Now, for the comparison. The carpet is not necessarily slower, because it has controllable speed. My usual training speed is 15-20 km/hour. The fastest I can go is about 30 km/hour, but I believe it can do up to 45-50. Sure, advanced skiers can go much faster on snow than that , but the carpet simulation ends at 50, which is a realistic compromise with safety requirements, I imagine.
Next, the carpet has a firm, even surface which is the greatest difference with the real snow, especially in the afternoon, once it all gets bumpy. No bumpiness on the carpet - it is a perpetual "corduroy" state. Nothing like ice patches is possible., either. In short, the real piste has the unexpected , the carpet does not.
When I first tried skiing on snow after months on the carpet, the transition was surprisingly facile. The sensations under my feet were different, but all the movements were automatic and everything just clicked into place. I too am very curious how better turns will compare, because one thing that is completely absent on the carpet is centrifugal force. Can't wait to see, TBH!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There is definitely something to it. I too felt absolutely terrified initially and it shows, doesn't it? I especially could not bring myself to lift that proverbial tail of the inside ski, no way! The reason being that the carpet vibrates, creating an additional obstacle to your balance. But - I was aware that this is my last chance to learn to ski, even at this most basic intermediate rung. (I am in my sixties). That was a powerful realisation. And actually, after a while, you get used to it and it feels as comfortable as a real snowy piste. I even derive a certain snug satisfaction (confession time) when I see very experienced skiers coming for the first time for a quick warm up before a winter jaunt into Alps. No matter their expertise, absolutely everybody clocks one or two falls during the first five minutes, and well, for a minute I have a reason to feel ever so slightly more in the know:wink:.
I love this story.

Jilly

Staff member
Not sure why about this second video. The stance is way too narrow to translate to snow. What was the point of this?

EdithP

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not sure why about this second video. The stance is way too narrow to translate to snow. What was the point of this?
Learning to feel the difference between skidded turns and turns on edges. This is the feel your toes exercise. That narrow stance, ironically, happens naturally and is not the objective.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@EdithP both of those look great. Congrats. What is going on between the first and second videos in terms of your focus or change? I actually think your stance should be somewhere in between the two for most low angle groomers.

Slalom racers have surprisingly narrow stances, but this is hard to see as most photos do not show them in transition but when legs are on a hill mid turn with the body angulated to create edge grip so the distance looks bigger foot to foot than the actual distance between the legs/knees/feet. If Mikaele were to stand upright the distance between her feet would be less than a ski width right here, and this is a world cup winning race!1673965737948.png

Are you right handed? Most right handed skiers also favor their right leg and that is my guess from watching your beautiful turns.

What are your current technical focus points? How do they translate to real snow?

When do you ski on snow again? Can't wait for the report.

Jilly

Staff member
OK, but how do you edge effectively on the carpet would be my issue. Skidded vs carved is either edging the ski or not edging by flattening the ski. But I do see some of that in the first video. Watch your position of the skis related to each other. There is a little wedge motion in there.

EdithP

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ah, I should have first of all explained why I was even posting those videos. One is always wrong if one things anything is self explanatory.
By posting the reviews of my efforts I meant to encourage all those beginners who are finding their progress hard. Beacause , honestly, it would be hard to find a less promising beginner than was I when I first started, which I am saying without any false modesty. Plain truth. So when I look back on the distance travelled and see, for all present imperfections, evident progress, I am cheered:thumbsup:. In the spirit of not comparing yourself to anybody else but myself three months ago. And I imagined that if even I could see improvement coming with time and practise, how much more can expect those who are more talented from the start. But no, I do not fancy myself a candidate for a demo team :wink:. Would anybody be thinking that? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna