• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Lessons on artificial snow: Yes or no?

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Inside and outside the imaginary circle that skis follow.
The switch happens between turns.

View attachment 16609
This is the kind of thing I need to print out and put in my pocket to pull out on the hill! It makes sense here at my laptop .... not sure I'll remember on skis. Obviously my sailing is a lot more natural to me than skiing!!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Uphill and downhill is more intuitive; you just look at the hill and then at your skis. No imaginary circle needed.

But the problem with using the terms uphill/downhill is all about when the switch happens. The diagram below shows that it happens when the skis are pointing straight down the hill.

So at the top of the turn below, the left ski is the uphill ski, and at the bottom of the same turn, the right ski is the uphill ski.

When a teacher/skier wants to do something specific in the top half of a turn with the skis/feet/legs, the terms uphill and downhill can be confusing. That's because which is which switches so fast. Students get confused and do things backwards.

Advancing skills require a skier to know when they are in the top half of a turn so they can start doing stuff with their skis up there. Beginners and intermediates often don't even think about the top half of the turn. It's as if it doesn't exist. Continuing to talk about uphill/downhill reinforces this problem.

Inside/outside is better once a skier is no longer a beginner. Assuming an adult here, who can hold a diagram in their head. Not so much kids.
1633709128199.png

Last edited:

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Uphill and downhill is more intuitive; you just look at the hill. No imaginary circle needed. But the problem with uphill/downhill is when the switch happens. It happens when the skis are pointing straight down the hill.
So at the top of the turn below, the left ski is the uphill ski, and at the bottom of the same turn, the right ski is the uphill ski.

When a teacher/skier wants to do something specific in the top half of a turn with the skis/feet/legs, the terms uphill and downhill can be confusing. That's because which is which switches so fast. Students get confused and do things backwards.

Advancing skills require a skier to know when they are in the top half of a turn so they can start doing stuff with their skis up there. Beginners and intermediates often don't even think about the top half of the turn. It's as if it doesn't exist. Continuing to talk about uphill/downhill reinforces this problem.
View attachment 16611
So true on the terminology issue! And the up/down changes so fast. OR not fast enough traversing across ... I know another issue for me is needing a brain wipe to get decades of 'do this' or 'do that' out of my head! I keep my difficulties with skiing in the forefront of my head when I teach Pilates! I know what makes sense to one client will be listening to a foreign language for another.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My posts above assume the skier is making C-shaped turns. Also known as fully completed turns.
Incompleted turns still have a top and a bottom, but they are harder to find since they don't last long.
))
((
))
((

J-shaped turns, without a top, have their own problems. The skier cannot do good things with the top half of the turn because it's not there.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My posts above assume the skier is making C-shaped turns. Also known as fully completed turns.
Incompleted turns still have a top and a bottom, but they are harder to find since they don't last long.
))
((
))
((

J-shaped turns, without a top, have their own problems. The skier cannot do good things with the top half of the turn because it's not there.

I found J turns frustrating because it didn’t really go anywhere. Yes I could turn in one direction and basically stop or the other direction and stop but there was no continuity to it so it really didn’t translate for me.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I should have said fish hook turns.
J-turns is an exercise, not a type of linked turn.
Fish hook turns are shaped like a J though.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I found J turns frustrating because it didn’t really go anywhere. Yes I could turn in one direction and basically stop or the other direction and stop but there was no continuity to it so it really didn’t translate for me.
Coming out of a J-turn by flattening the skis . . . slowly . . . and waiting until you start sliding again is what makes the J-turn drill useful. My Massanutten instructor likes to use garlands a lot, which are essentially 2-3 J-turns followed by getting the skis pointed downhill again enough to do another J-turn. Took more than one reason for me to be able to do garlands well. They are easier with slightly more pitch, but very good practice on a green.

Doing garlands makes it very clear which turn is the more difficult one to do properly.

EdithP

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Such good news! I’m guessing that many pieces will start to fit together. This has happened to me, and it’s a great feeling.
Yes! A bit like in a detective story when all little bits and pieces finally fall together. It is still only early days but I am finally doing what I despaired at even in those earlier posts. And it feels very good indeed. Thank you @newboots for your interest - and for your own help part in this, you were really encouraging❤.

newboots

Angel Diva
Yes! A bit like in a detective story when all little bits and pieces finally fall together. It is still only early days but I am finally doing what I despaired at even in those earlier posts. And it feels very good indeed. Thank you @newboots for your interest - and for your own help part in this, you were really encouraging❤.

It's fun to work on these things together. And I remember weeks of discouragement! It's good to pass on the "it will get better" encouragement.

:yahoo: You go, girl!

EdithP

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3cc3015oj7xke4k/March to December.mp4?dl=0
Dear Divas, as the year draws to its close , I am sharing the results of my twice weekly lessons on the rolling carpet. Started in late February, am still at it and plan to continue. Have I learned much? or less than one would expect in such a time? Frankly, I have no idea myself. All I know is that I am loving this and very much looking forward to getting on the real snow. Any time now!

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Please share your real snow updates qithbus as well. So happy for you.

newboots

Angel Diva
^^
Yes, please do! We are following along and cheering you on!

EdithP

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you SO much. I owe this forum many a good tip. I have not always been able to immediately follow, but my understanding kept growing.
I am myself very curious as to what will happen when I am finally on top of a hill, rather than a carpet, and just can't wait. So far though still too warm even for the made snow.
I am sure to let you know how it goes! If for only one reason: that this story has a closure :smile:

newboots

Angel Diva
I skied a nearby mountain last week, too early. The snow was awful, and I remembered what it was like to be a beginner, anxious and struggling a bit. The first run outdoors will undoubtedly feel a little foreign! At least, that's what I keep telling myself!

Give yourself a few ski days before you make a judgment. At least, that's what I keep telling myself (2)!

EdithP

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello, Divas!
This time I am reporting after the trip on the real snow in real mountains. I have made that Alpine ski trip which had been the focus of last year's lessons. With flying colours.
I only had a foggy idea of how real situation was going to compare to my carpet lessons, because I only managed to to get on a real snow hill once before departure. So it was with some trepidation when I pushed off for the first time in Val Thorens , got to the edge of the first incline and...Wow. What happened? All of a sudden, without my thinking, those skis started to behave exactly as I needed them to be doing. I went faster than ever before, and getting down steeper surfaces (never mind what they could be in reality, they felt like something I would not have been able to tackle last year) with more enjoyment than ever before. During the week spent in France I felt better and more confident every day, right to the last day, when I took on a route home that was steep(ish), bumpy, and crowded with other returning skiers. I remember the initial feeling of oh no, I am not going down there, but TBH I was tired and the idea of just walking down skiless did not appeal at all. So I took it on, and could not believe my own senses, how easy and enjoyable it turned out to be.
Please forgive me that bragging tone. I have been struggling with learning to ski since I was 15, meaning it took me 50 years of trials, errors, and new starts. FINALLY, I managed, thanks to the 1. that ski centre, 2. Finally, and for the first time, excellent coaching and 3. the cheering on I have found on this Forum (special mention @liquidfeet ) . Boy, was it a loooooong struggle - but it seems successfully over. Though I am going to continue! And the beauty of French Alps is a great incentive for the next year.

Attachments

• 20220110_111955.jpg
    20220110_111955.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220110_113955.jpg
    20220110_113955.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220110_134403.jpg
    20220110_134403.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220111_102923.jpg
    20220111_102923.jpg