• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Leap Day Blizzard California

Tennessee

Angel Diva
I’m a weather geek and this current blizzard in the Sierra has me so enthralled. Any updates from Tahoe or Mammoth divas? I think there is a ski Talk meet-up that is supposed to be happening right now. I have seen that Alpine and Homewood are closed and Northstar and Palisades and Mammoth have only a few lower slopes open. What is it like? Is it crazy blowing and dumping? I do sincerely hope that everyone stays safe out there. If you’re stuck at home and want to “talk”, I would love to hear what’s happening.

Jilly

Staff member
SkiTalk has an alternate gathering for today. I have a friend at Mt. Bachelor and its bad up there too.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
It is CRAZY blowing and dumping.

My son lives in South Lake Tahoe. En route home from stocking up on everything in NV yesterday morning, the wind blew off (and damaged) his truck tonneau cover. :frown: Several people are gathered (for warmth/comfort?) where he lives, and several of them will be driving trucks with plows on residential streets and driveways. He says it has to be redone every 2-3 hours at this point. The storm is predicted to howl through Monday. Will post updates or pics as I receive them.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I was commenting last night that a forecast of 4 - 12 feet leaves a LOT of room for the meteorologists. Our typical forecast here is inches, not feet! Can't even imagine how you prepare for that.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Sierra-at-Tahoe preemptively made the call to not open today, followed by others.

Big problem with Kirkwood is SR88, the main road to it, and how quickly it deteriorates.

I think the main focus throughout this storm will be road clearing, especially given the gale-force winds that will create copious drifting.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Sierra-at-Tahoe preemptively made the call to not open today, followed by others.

Big problem with Kirkwood is SR88, the main road to it, and how quickly it deteriorates.

I think the main focus throughout this storm will be road clearing, especially given the gale-force winds that will create copious drifting.
Saw Northstar and Heavenly have SOME lifts operating. Northstar doesn't get the wind that other resorts get, but Heavenly does...

Christy

Angel Diva
Yosemite is having all visitors leave by noon and expects to be closed through the weekend at the least. Sequoia is kicking people out by 6 today. So glad the Sierras and especially one of my fave parks (Sequoia/Kings Canyon) are getting more snow.

beane

Certified Ski Diva
my husband and eldest are there (tahoe city). He is reporting 3' but based on the photos/videos I think that's an overestimate..

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
My son reports about 4 feet where he lives in South Lake, about 3/4 mile from lake. Hard to really tell due to copious drifting. Winds howling, snow blowing sideways. And another system due mid-week. :eek: And his power is now out. Yikes.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
My son reports about 4 feet where he lives in South Lake, about 3/4 mile from lake. Hard to really tell due to copious drifting. Winds howling, snow blowing sideways. And another system due mid-week. :eek: And his power is now out. Yikes.
And I'll be in SLT for a week beginning March 9!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Yes indeed. I have a timeshare across the street from the Heavenly gondola...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga