• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Layer question - over bracelayer under pants

newbieM

Angel Diva
Apologies for the lack of ski terminology.

this is my outfit -

1. I have my super think wool socks - check
2. I have my bracelayer 3/4. It’s neoprene and my knees don’t get sore (who knew?!)
3. Over that I have regular sweatpants with a loose elastic so it gets pulled up under my knees so it doesn’t interfere with my sweatpants
4. Over the sweats I have my ski pants.

I get cold. But I feel like there is a better layer than sweats. But I don’t know what I’m looking for. The bracelayer is bulky so it has to fit over, I can’t imagine anyone puts anything under the bracelayer.

I wish could wear super cute outfits but all the pants I tried on didn’t work with my extra under layers.

Ideas? The gettup I have works for me and keeps me warm but I’m not sure if there is something more effective.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Are those sweatpants cotton?
That might be the reason.

I use fleece lined leggings from this brand — not just for downhill skiing, also XC skiing and also for anything outside and active. If it’s really cold, I layer another fleece legging on top of the technical with fleece lining.

I also go with thin sock. And I’ll use heated socks if really cold or just boot gloves which are usually more than enough. Warm legs should transfer to feet even with a thin sock provided the liner is an insulated one. I find thick socks do not help with warmth, the foot needs a touch of space to warm up.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A big no to the sweats. I just got some brace layer myself but haven’t skied in them yet. They seem like they would be fairly warm as is under my insulated ski pants. Are your pants insulated or shell? I can’t see wearing any of my regular wool base layers over them. Maybe my one loose pair of knickers would fit. I think if I were to feel the need for another layer when wearing the brace layer maybe a looser fit fleece pant or the “puffy pants” (i.e. men’s Holden insulated shorts) I picked up a year or two ago might work best.

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi newbieM! First, how is your bracelayer worn? Is it in two pieces, one for each knee/leg?
If you're not keen on wearing anything under the brace you might get away with merino or polyprop leggings in a larger size than normal to go over the top? Sweatpants don't sound ideal, especially if they're made from cotton, as they won't be very breathable or insulating. And it sounds like they're pretty bulky?
Also wool socks are a great choice, but thicker doesn't usually mean warmer, inside skiboots. If your feet get cold there are more effective ways to combat this, usually starting with a decent boot fitter to make sure they're not pressing on a nerve etc.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Great responses and thoughts. Totally agree …

question : I do not know what a brace layer is so cannot comment — anyone care to enlighten me?

newbieM

Angel Diva
Thanks! To clarify. Yes I have ultra thin ski socks. I am all set there.

The sweatpants are warm but they are bulky. So im thinking that isn’t the best choice.

My pants are a shell not insulated.

So I am looking at what I can do to swap it for something warmer and less bulky.

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes I'm thinking rethinking the sweatpants are a great idea. Bulky clothing can be very limiting. Nothing wrong with shell pants, I skied in them last week in BC in sub -30C, and with decent, wool under layers, they were still adequate, just ...

Jilly

Staff member
I've been skiing over 60 years and most of what you're wearing just doesn't work.

1. NO COTTON, unless it's your undies. Cotton absorbs water and sweat and stays wet. Technical wear like runners wear is better.
2. NO TO THICK WOOL SOCKS. No wonder you're feet are cold. Wool is just like Cotton. Technical socks and thin ones are the best.
3. Bracelayer - if it's the thermal model that should be all you need.
4. Ski pants. Look for insulated. You'll need them for most of the winter.

My kit for a normal winter day.
Socks - Helly Hansen Technical
Lower base layer - Columbia with the silver dots, cut to capri length
Upper base layer - Helly Hansen/Lifa. Not the merino, can't wear it
Ski pants
1/4 zip turtleneck - Salomon is my fav. None are cotton or even a blend with cotton.
Eddie Bauer down puffy
Ski Jacket
Buff with windstopper - you can't get now. Love it.
Helmet, no liner
Swany gloves

That's it for most days. The puffy may change to a fleece on warm days. I might need my heated gloves on some days.

So now is the time to make a list and watch the sales. Lots of base layer etc are on sale most of the summer.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
super think wool socks - check
It's your typo that is getting you some flack. I figured you meant thin, but it could just as easily be read as thick. If you want to stick with your shell pants for now, I suggest trying some basic fleece pj pants. Find a pair that is thinner than your sweats for less bulk. But if still get cold with those, now is the time to start looking on Sierra, Steep and Cheap, etc. for a discounted insulated pair. Or I've heard Arctix is good for the price.

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
Stio Fernos insulated knickers in a size up could be an option. Ortovox, Kari tra and Helly Hansen also have insulated crop bottoms.

newbieM

Angel Diva
It's your typo that is getting you some flack. I figured you meant thin, but it could just as easily be read as thick. If you want to stick with your shell pants for now, I suggest trying some basic fleece pj pants. Find a pair that is thinner than your sweats for less bulk. But if still get cold with those, now is the time to start looking on Sierra, Steep and Cheap, etc. for a discounted insulated pair. Or I've heard Arctix is good for the price.
Yes typo and I couldn’t fix it.

I meant in general I run cold. My feet are dialed in with perfect socks.

Thanks for all these suggestions. I’m going to look into it.

I’m also wondering if I get myself some insulated pants or maybe even a bib I’ll be warmer.

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
I’m also wondering if I get myself some insulated pants or maybe even a bib I’ll be warmer.
Which bracelayer style do you have? I wore the Alpine one with Insulated Columbia ski pants with omniheat lining on a day with -8 windchill recently and was warm.

I also own a pair of Lands End active fleece lined yoga pants (no cotton) that are a very cozy and warm midlayer for the coldest days and not super bulky. A pretty affordable option when on sale! (Also nice for winter lounging around the house on the coldest days.)

Edited to add link (also availablein plus sizes): https://www.landsend.com/products/w...d-yoga-pants/id_368225?attributes=13774,44967

newbieM

Angel Diva
I think I have an older version of the

WOMEN'S KXV ALPINE BOOT CUT

the silicone beading drives me nuts but otherwise I love the support and definitely feel it in my knees if I don’t wear them one day.

I’ll check out your suggestions. I would love less layers so I don’t feel like the marshmallow man but I think my body just runs cold in general (probably linked to my ridiculously low blood pressure) so I prefer to layer it on.

thanks for taking the time.

wernerslab

Diva in Training
Are those sweatpants cotton?
That might be the reason.

I use fleece lined leggings from this brand — not just for downhill skiing, also XC skiing and also for anything outside and active. If it’s really cold, I layer another fleece legging on top of the technical with fleece lining.

I also go with thin sock. And I’ll use heated socks if really cold or just boot gloves which are usually more than enough. Warm legs should transfer to feet even with a thin sock provided the liner is an insulated one. I find thick socks do not help with warmth, the foot needs a touch of space to warm up.
I second these fleeced leggings and wear them under my ski pants and despite their tight fit, I have worn a base layer under them and also over them on cold days. You may be able to get them over the brace layer( although Ihave never tried the brace layer legging).

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lose the sweatpants and size up for an insulated capri, fleece leggings or heavy weight merino. Slightly more fitted makes me feel less marshmallowy.

If you don't already, drink electrolytes rather than water to help with blood pressure.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
I recommend some fleece pants over the bracelayer. You'll want closer fitting than loose so the heat sits close to the skin. I have some old Patagonia r1 fleece leggings I just cut the bottoms off so would stop at my boot. My husband did the same thing with some men's fleece pants. I have heavily insulated pants since I wear a knee brace and can only wear a thin layer under it. There are fitted and flattering insulated pants on the market. I loved the Salomon pants I wore pre-injury - they are slim and warm. I was even able to wear a thin base layer under Unfortunately they don't fit my brace so I can't wear them anymore. On really cold days I use the Dry Cheeks neoprene butt wrap.

TrixieRuby

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks! To clarify. Yes I have ultra thin ski socks. I am all set there.

The sweatpants are warm but they are bulky. So im thinking that isn’t the best choice.

My pants are a shell not insulated.

So I am looking at what I can do to swap it for something warmer and less bulky.
Try the thin socks...if your feet are cold, you can try boot gloves or heated socks. I have the insulated bracelayer, and it is great. I then put on insulated pants that are water resistant and wind resistant--maybe I could use the word waterproof and wind proof. I am plenty warm! My next step is to pull on a pair of merino wool long underwear, one size up. I cut the long underwear off at the knees so as to not have all that bulk. And I am warm! You can buy insulated pants on ebay, good brand names, for not much $$$. But make sure they are windproof and waterproof.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna