• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Knee experts, help me out here...

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Okay, so I know we have Divas here who have collectively run into just about every knee issue possible so I thought I'd draw on that a bit. Most of my life I've had sore knees worse at different times. I've been to an ortho, most recently about 5ish years ago. They've done x-rays and tell me they see nothing wrong, here do these exercises. Usually it has something to do with strengthening the inner thigh and hamstring muscles.

So, currently my left knee is the one hurting. It's been about 6 weeks now that I'm experiencing some sort of pain/soreness/tightness about half time. If it's acute pain it's just under the kneecap or in the back of the knee. Tightness is generally the back as well. Today it's just a general soreness extending a bit down into the top of my calf muscle. Most of the time it's bearable, maybe a little limping. A couple of times it's been painful enough to call it a day on the slopes (had to leave Marigee hanging at Vail :().

I plan to get into either an ortho or pt after the season is over and once we've gone through open enrollment in April but thought I'd see if any of this rings a bell as far as symptoms to specific problems for anyone. I am using ibuprofen only when it's swelling (usually the area below and to the outside of the knee cap) and icing when I can, usually in the evenings.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Pain under the kneecap could be chondromalacia.
Which is what I have.

Does the knee feel relatively stable, Robyn? It could well be, if that's the case, that you need specific exercises to strengthen the knee support muscles. Have you ever had any kind of previous knee injury that you recall (lots of us had tweaks we ignored...or I should speak for myself...??)? If you are able to self-refer to physical therapy, this might be your best overall option. IMO, they are better equipped to deal with all but the surgical/near-surgical options.

A good physical therapist will look at your entire leg alignment and start from the bottom up. I was told to NEVER go without good arch support (i.e., OTC superfeet, and I plan to have customs made for regular shoes).

Don't neglect it, because, sorry to say, it's not going to get better on its own. But there's a lot that can be done that will help. I think a good pt will also know, right at the outset, whether it's anything more serious than physical therapy can manage. The Lachman done on my knees by the pt was absurdly more thorough than the one done at the orthopedist.

Good luck, keep us posted.

JaneB

PSIA 1 Instructor, Killington
There can be many reasons for your symptoms. Please see next post.

JaneB

JaneB

PSIA 1 Instructor, Killington
knees

I echo some of the above. I've had two knee surgeries after an ACL tear; the second because the surgeon made some errors with the first surgery. I advise seeing a PT first and being very careful about considering any surgery.

Could be patellar maltracking, which requires strengthening the quads as well as stretching tendons. PT's are much better at treating this type of injury.

I used kneeguru.co.uk, a wonderful website for knee sufferers. It was of enormous help.

JaneB:smile:

SueNJ

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It could also be full-blown osteoarthritis, especially if you're getting excess fluid under the kneecap (which will make the knee look swollen). Xrays won't usually confirm an OA diagnosis unless there is bone degradation. An MRI may help with the Dx.

A day of skiing usually ends for me when my quads fatigue too much to support my knees, and I start feeling that slamming and aching in the knee joints whenever I hit rough terrain.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I just ordered it and requested rush shipping so I should have it early next week.
Good. It will not hurt to wear it, all day long, and certainly might help. Since you don't remember any serious fall and a definite "feeling" of it being injured, that narrows it down - to at least a dozen other possibilities....(sorry) - and that's where I definitely stand down from all guessing.

Ice will never hurt (and will help the swelling), 20 minutes at a time, no longer at any one sitting. Any kind of support (which you've taken care of) will help. No hyperextending (super-straightening). Anti-inflammatories as tolerated. And resting it. Then a consult. Be as specific as you have been here in its description: exactly where, exactly when it hurts (and when it doesn't), duration of problem, etc., etc. And let them take care of the diagnosis. Meanwhile, sounds like a couple of weeks off skis would be the right decision?? As we all know, as calendar moves into spring, snows gets heavier, and this is even tougher on the knees. Give it a rest. Sometimes pain is your body's way of saying, HEY, CUT IT OUT!"

Robyn.....is that your driving knee? Cuz...if that's your driving knee...then...well....maybe I could...ya' know....hitch-hike or something to A-Basin?!?!?!?? I mean....ya' know.....I gotta be safe ya' know...... :becky:

(hee hee hee!)

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
She should be fine for A-Basin if she takes a little time off to let it settle. I'm not convinced this is something Major-Big/Horrible. Needs looking at, though.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Trust me, unless something major happens between now and Saturday I will be skiing on Saturday and Sunday.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
A-basin is this Saturday.
Oops :redface: - was thinking of the big May gathering. Listen, Robyn, go find yourself a good over the counter knee support/brace, for the time being, until the chopat arrives. Plenty of them out there. Anything is better than nothing. I have a quiver. atlantiqueen knows all about my knee brace quiver!! (What a collection, with 3 of us needing braces at one time or other over the last few years!) Measure your knee circumference first before you head out to hunt one down. All fit by knee circumference.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The back of knee pain sounds muscular to me, probably hamstring, maybe gastroc (calf muscle). Especially with the tightness. The under kneecap pain is most likely patellofemoral pain, although it could have progressed to chondromalacia. Patellofemoral pain is extremely common in females thanks to our nice wide child-bearin' hips. Echoing what others have said, ice never hurts, OTC anti-inflammatories are great as long as you don't have any gastrointestinal issues (ALWAYS take them with food). I'm not sure the chopat will help with this specific type of pain (it's usually better for patellar tendinitis), but it certainly won't hurt to try and you can always return it if it's not helping. Sometimes just a simple knee sleeve can give you some biofeedback to help you mentally get through it, and again, it won't hurt anything to try.

I'm a certified athletic trainer (the medical professional kind, not the fitness kind), so I know knees well, although it's really hard to say what's going on just based on the limited info you've given here. That said, I know some VERY VERY good orthopedists and physical therapists, if you'd like recommendations!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
^ I knew there would be someone way more knowledgeable than I around here. Listen, Robyn, if the knee support/chopat turns out to be of no value/use to you, I'll buy it off of you and pay shipping. Seriously. We fight over the thing here, I was about to buy another, but I'll wait and buy yours if it's not helping you out.

I DO have the dreaded and (non-communicable!) chondromalacia. And it hurts.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the further info itri. I may tap your info on orthos and pt in a few weeks. I haven't a clue yet if we are completely changing insurance (there's been talk about it) so I don't want to get started in this only to find that I need to deal with a whole new network and procedure.

MSL, don't worry about the chopat, even if it doesn't help now it's probably not a bad thing to have around. If it were a $100 piece I might be worried but at $35 (with expedited shipping) I'm not. By the way, they're 15% off right now if you want another.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
MSL, don't worry about the chopat, even if it doesn't help now it's probably not a bad thing to have around. If it were a $100 piece I might be worried but at $35 (with expedited shipping) I'm not. By the way, they're 15% off right now if you want another.

Thanks for the heads up. I just might. And I'm serious, I will buy it from you if it's not your thing. BUT, I think you will like the way it feels: just enough support. I wear mine for fitness classes AND skiing---but I do have a diagnosed problem for which it is recommended.

Good luck, will be thinking about you and hope that this settles out. Pain stinks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna