• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Killington World cup

Susanvt

Diva in Training
Had a great day today! It was incredibly cold and windy at times. Arrived at 8:00 and was able to park at Snowshed. Got great seats on the grand stand. Bungees worked great! Shutttles to and from the lots were challenging though. Lines were super long and lots of people were cutting into the line and acting all innocent. Had $22 chicken fingers and $11 pretzel. :p now at the Advice for Girls panel and movie screening. Hope it’s good! Hoping to try the ramen place up the road after.
It looked cold from the TV! Glad you had a good day. I hope to see Advice for Girls sometime. A person on another site suggested parking at Pico, he said it was less hectic so I’ll give that a try. My bungee cords are ready! Oh and the ramen place sounds good too!

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Doesn’t really matter which lot - all the shuttles were backed up - we actually waited more than an hour after the race to let the crowds dissipate but the shuttle lines were still super long

Christy

Angel Diva
Doesn’t really matter which lot - all the shuttles were backed up - we actually waited more than an hour after the race to let the crowds dissipate but the shuttle lines were still super long

Bummer. Is there any way around this? Hotels near to the viewing area? I'm actually kinda sorta thinking about coming next year, though that means travel over Thanksgiving, which is probably a terrible idea. We could fly Thanksgiving day though. I'd really like to see Mikaela ski again and the women in general are so much fun to watch. It's closer to and I think more reliable than a European race.

ride_ski

Angel Diva
We will usually walk back to the car after the races to avoid waiting in the shuttle lines. If you park at Snowshed, it's not too far and it's all downhill. Many people walk back.

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah a lot of people were walking back. One option is to wait longer - the races ended at 2, we started to head to shuttles at 3. I imagine it’s largely dissipated by 4pm - there are bands and other things going on still

Christy

Angel Diva
What lodging would you all recommend for someone that wants a convenient location? Is the Killington Grand the only option in that department? Am I right there's no town nearby?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
What lodging would you all recommend for someone that wants a convenient location? Is the Killington Grand the only option in that department? Am I right there's no town nearby?

That's correct; there's no town nearby, though there are certainly places to stay along the Killington Access Road. The Grand is the only one within walking distance to the race, though. I'd assume that -- plus the holiday weekend --would make it pretty pricey, though.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Christy The Killington Grand would be the closest hotel. There are other lodging options along the access road as well. Rutland is really the closest town with more lodging options. It's like a 20 min drive or so but then of course you'd have to park and shuttle.
If you stayed at the Grand you could walk up the access road to the race.
I've never stayed at the Grand so can't speak to the quality of the lodging but most of the places along the access road are very "basic". (My go to places in the Killington area are the Best Western or the Hampton Inn--both in Rutland. Best Western being about 5-8 min closer to the mountain).

Susanvt

Diva in Training
As an FYI Sundays may be better in terms of shuttles. I got there early-8ish and left after the awards ceremony and didn’t have to wait but a few minutes on either side. Going was such fun and awesome that Mikaela won.

Christy

Angel Diva
Was there bad traffic on local roads getting to the parking lots? I see that Woodstock is 28 minutes away, which is not much longer than Rutland; I've been to Woodstock and remember how cute it was. The recent reviews for the Killington Grand are pretty poor.

How often does bad or early winter weather disrupt travel in the NE on Thanksgiving weekend? Thanksgiving is late next year--Nov. 28th.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If anyone is interested, we had a team on the ground at Killington and have an article up on SkiTalk.

Christy

Angel Diva
*bump*

So would staying in Woodstock be a big hassle, given potential traffic and parking issues, do you think?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Woodstock is lovely and certainly doable. You could be at Killington within half an hour. Loads of local people go to the race, so yes, you could certainly do it. You might have to park a bit out from the base, but since there are shuttles, it shouldn't be a problem.

Let me know if you decide to go! I live half an hour from there.

Christy

Angel Diva
Our friends in PA were so enthusiastic about this that we went ahead and booked. We're staying at Mountain Meadows Inn. Hopefully we won't regret the Thanksgiving travel--we are flying on T-day itself then on Sunday night staying at the Boston airport Hilton--the one connected to the terminal so you can walk between them--to fly out early Monday am.

The kind of funny thing was, right after we booked this, FIS announced that they are holding World Cup Finals in Sun Valley next March. Well we can't miss that! So we rented a house in Ketchum for the entirety of that and will drive out with the dog. So next winter will be very full of ski racing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna