• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

K2 Lotta Luv/Dynastar Exclusive Legend

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I had a great demo opportunity at Black Mountain (Rumford, ME) this evening, but demos only were available from 6-9 p.m., so it was a hustle. Had the pick of the demos to ourselves for at least the first hour :yahoo: - what to choose, what to choose. DH and I were like kids in a candy store!

We decided to make only one run on each ski and try to ski a similar line for all tested skis. It was the only way to make quick evaluations and get in as many demos as we could in 2.5+ hours. So obviously, this isn’t an altogether thorough review, just impressions.

Conditions were sweet: 4" of just-fallen new snow, hard pack beneath. The arrival of more participants resulted in variable conditions: tracked, hard pack/old groomed, crud.

My stats: 5'6", 125#, Level 7-8 (the latter number only on a good day).

3 skis stand out after this fun evening:

1) Elan Wave Spice
TESTED LENGTH 158
DIMENSIONS 126-80-109
Well, what wouldn’t feel great making first tracks? :D These skis performed best at medium speeds and absolutely adored making first tracks. They floated. Edging was completely unnecessary. Short and medium radius turns were its forte. A happy, fun ski. (This was the shortest ski I have been on in a very long time.)

2) K2 Lotta Luv
TESTED LENGTH 160
DIMENSIONS 119-78-105
These skis loved loose snow (now somewhat tracked) and just busted through it all. I found I had to turn up the aggressiveness to make them shine - and when I did, they took me for a fun ride! I sought every piece of loose snow I could find with this ski. They were rock solid and had “the need for speed.” These skis begged for a second run. I gladly complied. The 78 waist was perfect for the conditions that they were skiing.

3) Dynastar Exclusive Legend
TESTED LENGTH 160
DIMENSIONS 114-75-102
A much lighter (in both physical weight and skiing “touch”) than the K2, slightly less sidecut. As soon as I got off the chair and turned off the ramp, I knew I would love these. They preferred a slightly slower cruising speed than the K2's, as well as a shorter turn radius. Although they held an edge well (some hardpack now appearing), their “happy place” was turning, with minimal edge pressure required to rebound into the next turn. Simply delightful. Where they excelled over the K2 was in their ability to grab onto hard pack when the loose snow got dispersed. They handled this transition slightly more gracefully than the K2's.

So, in a nutshell, a whirlwind of an evening, skiing under the lights. If I had to choose between the K2 and the Dynastar, I think I would literally break out in a sweat making the decision. It was that close. I’ll give the slight edge to the Dynastar only because I’m an eastern skier who has to deal with widely varying conditions - crud to hard pack in a heartbeat, often in the same aspect of the turn - and the Dynastars were happy in all of it. Their notably lighter weight made no difference in performance but certainly made them easier to haul around.

Winner: Dynastar Exclusive Legend. I demo’d the 08 model. Deals should abound now.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
In searching for above skis, I came upon this review from Al's Ski Barn/www.untracked.com: "The Dynastar Exclusive Legend skis much like that of K2 Lotta Luv. With a slightly narrower waist and Autodrive the Exclusive Legend initiates into a turn with less effort, but with greater stability at higher speeds." Hmmm, guess I called it! I just ever-so-slightly impressed myself.

jaydog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Having skied both last year's Exclusive Legend and this year's Lotta, I can add this: the Lotta makes moguls a breeze, while the EL struggles. I also felt that the Lotta was more confident on steeper terrain. Of course, my 158 ELs are on the short side for me, and the 160 Lotta was a better fit. Dynastar runs short, while K2 runs long.

But I still can't get over how awesome the Lotta was in the moguls!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Wish I'd had the option of that kind of terrain - about the closest it came was irregular piles, not true moguls. I don't doubt this, though, the Lotta was just a more heady, muscular ski - required me to crank up the energy a bit. Sure would love to find a deal on them--who knows, maybe. Being primarily a Dynastar skier (like my boots, the brand just "fits" my style better), I guess I was much more familiar with its style. Both were awesome. Fun demo. And yes, the Dynas do "ski short" even at longer length. Could be a factor in your case. The ones I currently ski run from 162-170.

Shellski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In searching for above skis, I came upon this review from Al's Ski Barn/www.untracked.com: "The Dynastar Exclusive Legend skis much like that of K2 Lotta Luv. With a slightly narrower waist and Autodrive the Exclusive Legend initiates into a turn with less effort, but with greater stability at higher speeds." Hmmm, guess I called it! I just ever-so-slightly impressed myself.

You see, I couldn't disagree more with this. I have a pair of Lotta's, and on our recent Colorado trip, I demoed a pair of Exclusive Legends, I thought they were fine in the deeper snow, turned quickly in the trees and the bumps.. but I hated them at higher speeds on the groomers. The first run I did on them was at mach speed down Harrier at Beaver Creek, they were so chattery (compared to the Lottas or my Burnin's) it scared me.

Horses for courses I guess, it goes to show that what works for one skier doesn't for another.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I found the "stability at speed" comment perplexing as well. But I think it pertains to the ease of turn initiation at speed? It's worded funny. That the turn initiation felt more stable? Well, either way, I didn't push either ski to mach, although I thought I was clipping at the last headwall and run-out. Frankly, I loved them both. If I was skiing primarily in CO, K2 Lotta would be First Choice, hands down. But I don't, I have to deal with skiing in the Ice/East coast. So one of the main things I was looking for was the ski's ability to go from crud to hard pack without losing edge. That was where the Dynastars did better than the Lottas.

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
I think this thread reinforces why it's so important to try and demo if at all possible before you buy. All the points made in this thread are valid. I think of skis like Ice cream. It's all pretty yummy tasting, and almost every body has there favorite brand, within that brand they usually have a favorite flavor! (my brand is Nordica, flavor Fire fox. But I wouldn't turn down a conquer or a victory served up either. ) Picking a ski that you love gets down to brand and the "flavor" that you like best. There are big "footprint" differences on all of those skis,( lots of different taper angles). I don't know if you are actually comparing apples with apples between the different models and makes. :noidea: But it is really informative to read the different perspective found here on the skis.:ski2: I guess we are really fortunate to have so many skis to choose from now , when just 10 yrs ago our options were rather limited.:clap:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
True indeed. And even more so with boots. But I think it's great that we all have this "point of departure," so to speak - a reference of different makes and models that have been evaluated and considered. I'd have loved it if more reps had been available (such as Volkl, etc), especially after reading so many glowing reviews - would just love to demo some. But----it was what it was in this case. You're right, lots of choices - and a lot of individual favorites - way more than in the past.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga