• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Jay Peak to re-open this weekend!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
The forecast is calling for between 6 and 12 inches of snow in the higher elevations of northern VT, so Jay Peak has decided to reopen Thursday thru Sunday.

In full disclosure, the weather says it's going to be a very wet, heavy snow.

Anyone going?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Sugarloaf never closed. Still open daily through 5/2 (closing day). (Touring NOT discouraged after lifts shut.) 12+" due tonight through Wed night. MAY DAY AT THE LOAF! Coming soon! :yahoo:
ETA: about 40 trails still open also (pre-pending snow), several wall to wall

abc

Banned
Contemplating... (if I can get the doctor to take the stitches out earlier than Friday 5 pm!)

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Gosh, if anyone were going to be there, especially Sunday which is sort of my freest day, my arm could be seriously twisted.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Just an update: it is snowing to beat the band out there right now! But it's not going to stick around. Our forecast is for the 70's on Saturday, too.

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
DH was trying to persuade me at breakfast this morning, but I won't be going for a couple of reasons:

It's going to be very wet and sticky by the weekend, and my new Auras don't have their bindings mounted yet.:(

I have a class on Saturday that I can't miss.

He might go - which is fine with me.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Forecast high of 53 Friday, 60 on Saturday, at elevation here. Admittedly, late-late season snow doesn't stick around long, but it's still a hoot to ski locally on any day in May! Gotta do it....

Kriss240

Certified Ski Diva
I will be skiing somewhere this weekend! Either Jay or Mt. Washington. I can't believe all of this snow - 2ft on Mansfield this morning and it was snowing when I left!

abc

Banned
Unfortunately, it's not my time. Saw the doctor today. She wouldn't take the stitches out before Friday... (I must be getting old, not healing as fast :( )

The consolation being, it's going to be in the high 70's Saturday so I'll be able to get a good bike ride in.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Those who are skiing in the East this week, have a great time. :eyebrows:

Those who are skiing ANYWHERE this week, have a great time. :eyebrows:

Anyone who is fortunate enough to be skiing on May 1 should not have any complaints and should forget about what winter snow was like and just have FUN! :grouphug:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
woohoo!

10" at Sugarloaf, 39 runs open, 168 acres. Last weekend of the season should be very nice! :thumbsup:

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
seriously thinking of going since I have to pick my son up in Burlington. It will depend on if he wants to go or not.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Sugarloaf was REALLY fun on May 1. Surprising amounts of snow at elevation (ZILCH at base). Report when I get my "real" computer back from "surgery."

First time I have ever skied and mowed the lawn on the same day.
Almost took the boat out today until we remembered that registration hasn't been renewed. Instead, DH is going swimming in the lake. 2 years ago on this date, it still had ice on it. I think the water is up to around 53 now? (He'll be solo on that plunge.) Around 80 degrees up here now.

Very, very wacky weather....

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Truly wacky. 80 degrees here today, too.

Anyone make it to Jay?

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
we didn't go. for some strange reason my son thought I'd be nuts to ski with my hand still in a cast. That and he wanted to come home and get a jump on job hunting.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
my hand still in a cast
:eek: What happened?? Yikes!

I saw some pics from Jay, looked good, but I don't think they had as much terrain open as Sugarloaf did? Because it had been reasonably cool following the last snowfall (at least above a certain elevation-here it seems to be 2k), the snow was actually "set up" on Saturday, stayed fairly solid until after noon. (We were done by then.)

Ski patrol was on hand to direct people to the best routes for coverage; it was getting quite thin in some places. And absolutely zero snow at the base, so it was fantastic that they decided to keep the mid-mountain chairlift open through closing day (and also, I believe, one of the first times they have ever done so).

Totally worth it, overall. Only the 2nd time I have skied regionally in May.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga