• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Is coronavirus changing your ski plans?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm still in contact with a lot of people who think it's all a bunch of overreacting.
:doh:

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Massachusetts just shut down schools for 3 weeks. Also just shut down gyms. Then gatherings limit lowered to 25 from 250 previously, this is shutting down bars and restaurants making them take out or delivery only as of Tuesday for the next 30 days, no dine in.

I just watched that on channel 7. Stringent but necessary. Waiting to see what Rhode Island does. I spent the entire day cleaning and packing my apartment in Vermont. I will drive home tomorrow to avoid the nastier weather on Tuesday. It’s a little sad here anyway. And if it gets the quarantine stage I’d rather be in my 1200 square ft. than my 200 square ft apartment! And I can walk by the ocean which is a little nicer. It was weird looking up at Okemo today. The chairs were still on the six pack lift.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
On Long Island schools are closed for the next two weeks. In New York City the mayor just closed schools until April 20th the earliest!

The ski house next to me is from Long Island. There were eight cars this morning and the last one left at 5 o’clock today. I’ve never been here in five years with no cars in the parking lot. :eek:

MissySki

Angel Diva
I just watched that on channel 7. Stringent but necessary. Waiting to see what Rhode Island does. I spent the entire day cleaning and packing my apartment in Vermont. I will drive home tomorrow to avoid the nastier weather on Tuesday. It’s a little sad here anyway. And if it gets the quarantine stage I’d rather be in my 1200 square ft. than my 200 square ft apartment! And I can walk by the ocean which is a little nicer. It was weird looking up at Okemo today. The chairs were still on the six pack lift.

I’m also wondering if RI will follow suit, otherwise MA residents are just going to drive there if they want to eat and drink out..

Christy

Angel Diva
The guidance sounds pretty reasonable and not very restrictive, really. I am glad to see there is official guidance that encourages you to go outside, as that is one thing I am really freaked out about--that in some places you are not even supposed to be out walking (if I'm understanding some of the Euro quarantines correctly).

StayWarm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh wow. ALL visitors to the CO ski towns in the last week - Summit, Eagle, Pitkin and Gunnison counties - are being asked to self-isolate. That’s us. We were in Vail last Monday. And other folks here too, I know...

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cd...nts-eagle-summit-pitkin-and-gunnison-counties

Us, too, on the ski county front. :yield:

On a slightly different preparedness note: I want to encourage everyone to make plans for what you'll do if people who are important to you but live at a distance from you (parents, kids, dear friends) get sick. My parents (mid-60s) live in North Carolina and are better prepared than most for this (isolating since last week, enough food for more than a month at home), but this evening my brother called and asked if we had a plan for what would happen if either or both of them got sick. My brother is in Boston, and I'm in Denver.

After having the conversation with my parents and brother, we now have the following:
  • A non-vulnerable neighbor has agreed to watch their pets if they go to the hospital, and I have that neighbor's contact information.
  • An understanding that my parents don't want us to fly to be there quickly.
  • An understanding that my husband and I will drive from Denver to NC if one of them is hospitalized.
Food for thought for everyone. I hope none of these plans will be necessary, but it's also reassuring to know that we've already made the decisions if need be, and there's a plan to fall back on.

newboots

Angel Diva

On a slightly different preparedness note: I want to encourage everyone to make plans for what you'll do if people who are important to you but live at a distance from you (parents, kids, dear friends) get sick. My parents (mid-60s) live in North Carolina and are better prepared than most for this (isolating since last week, enough food for more than a month at home), but this evening my brother called and asked if we had a plan for what would happen if either or both of them got sick. My brother is in Boston, and I'm in Denver.

After having the conversation with my parents and brother, we now have the following:
  • A non-vulnerable neighbor has agreed to watch their pets if they go to the hospital, and I have that neighbor's contact information.
  • An understanding that my parents don't want us to fly to be there quickly.
  • An understanding that my husband and I will drive from Denver to NC if one of them is hospitalized.
Food for thought for everyone. I hope none of these plans will be necessary, but it's also reassuring to know that we've already made the decisions if need be, and there's a plan to fall back on.

You have been a beacon of practicality and realism in this discussion!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member

Thisi s a real concern for me, as my parents are quite elderly and my Dad has cancer. They live in Florida and I'm in Vermont. I'm praying that nothing awful happens to them during this coronavirus crisis. Luckily, my sister lives only a couple miles away from them, so she can step up, if needed.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member

Bye, Abbi! I never got to say goodbye! I'll miss you!

marzNC

Angel Diva
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/16/cdc-recommends-the-cancellation-of-events-with-50-or-more-people-for-the-next-eight-weeks-throughout-us.html?__source=newsletter|breakingnews

If all the resorts follow this guideline (to not have more than 50 people gather for next 8 weeks), this probably mean most resorts may not reopen again for this season.
I don't expect any resort that closes to re-open for snowsports. A suspension or 1-week closure gives time to breathe and put together a full plan for closing. Plus for resorts that are 4-season they have to figure out what to do about the "shoulder season." For instance, Snowbird usually closes a few lifts, then does maintenance for a couple weeks in order to re-open for summer guests.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm still in contact with a lot of people who think it's all a bunch of overreacting.
:doh:
Maybe ask them if they think going to a restaurant where someone had tested positive a few days ago and then going to visit someone's grandparents is a good idea. Then point out that someone can be contagious for 2-3 days with no symptoms. Then ask if they know a restaurant where no one who works there has COVID-19 for sure. :wink:

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow! That's a lot of people from all over the country! I hadn't heard about that.

New guidance as of today. I saw it on local news. I don’t know what the plan is to notify out-of-state visitors! Presumably the resorts have contact info... If they can tell me which lifts I’ve ridden, which resorts I’ve visited and how many vertical feet I have, shouldn’t they be able to email me an alert?

marzNC

Angel Diva
New guidance as of today. I saw it on local news. I don’t know what the plan is to notify out-of-state visitors! Presumably the resorts have contact info... If they can tell me which lifts I’ve ridden, which resorts I’ve visited and how many vertical feet I have, shouldn’t they be able to email me an alert?
The resorts should probably just send out an email to their entire e-list, although they might not want to do that. Even that won't get to everyone. Not everyone uses EpicMix or an Epic pass.

I've been saying for a while that Colorado started community spread in Feb. Could even be some time in Jan. Probably from multiple sources. At this point, it only matters that people leaving the area are likely to be carriers. Advice applies to visitors and residents who are leaving for whatever reason. Key point is that people are being told to stay away from others "whether or not they are experiencing symptoms."

For those unfamiliar with Colorado (like me). . . Vail and Beaver Creek are in Eagle County; Aspen is in Pitkin; Crested Butte is in Gunnison; Keystone, Breck, and Copper are in Summit County.

March 15, 2010, Colorado Dept of Public Health and Environment
CDPHE strongly advises all visitors and residents of Eagle, Summit, Pitkin, and Gunnison counties to minimize social contact
"DENVER, March 15, 2020: Due to extensive spread of COVID-19 in a number of mountain resort communities, the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) strongly recommends that anyone who lives in or has visited those communities in the past week minimize their contact with other people, in order to reduce the spread of the virus.

Anyone who has been in Eagle, Summit, Pitkin, or Gunnison counties in the past week should minimize all contact with other people, whether or not they are experiencing symptoms.
. . ."

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga