• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Is coronavirus changing your ski plans?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I know Divas reading this thread who head to the backcountry this spring will be careful. But the story below is worth reading and sharing with those who may not be as well informed. Bottom line is that a young adult went on a group backcountry trip in early March. He has had to deal with moderate symptoms of COVID-19 that were worse than a normal flu for a healthy person. He now understands that he may well have contributed to community spread in a number of small towns with limited medical services.

March 20, Backcountry.com
SPLITBOARDING IN THE TIME OF COVID-19
". . .
In the 14 days before my symptoms appeared, I was on a trip through British Columbia and stopped in Nelson, Revelstoke, Golden and Kimberley. I also went on an isolated retreat in the Cascades, which included visiting a town of 150 residents who have limited access to medical resources. If I knew what I was subjecting all these small communities to, I never would have left my home."

marzNC

Angel Diva
This little film, “Ten Days,” was made by an Italian filmmaker, using Italian people warning themselves (from ten days ago) to take this more seriously. Warning their past selves from the future. Named for the idea that the US and other countries are ten days behind Italy.

https://www.theatlantic.com/video/index/608113/italy-coronavirus/
The video is really, really well done! Almost 2 million views on YouTube in the five days since it was posted on March 16. Hopefully being shared widely. Makes a difference that the creator is a young filmmaker, not a medical professional or some authority figure.

Mistletoes

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We're all possible vectors right now. It's hard to change a lifetime of behavior and thought patterns to get people to appreciate the risk but overall the message is getting there (I hope).

My friends and coworkers hugged me on Monday before I was sick. They knew it was risky but their love and empathy was more powerful than their fear. I was so worried about them before my results came back. I just kept thinking that I may really sicken them and their families. Thankfully my fears were unfounded but turns out one of these friends family members has tested positive and they were with him on Sunday. So here we go again.

It's especially hard not to be able to console each other in these ways but it's unfortunately one of the most dangerous things you can do right now.

mustski

Angel Diva
The best rule of thumb is to assume you already have the virus and are contagious. Adjust your behavior accordingly. We are on Day 6 of no symptoms - since passing through the nightmare that was the CDC checkpoint in O'Hare. I actually feel that was the most dangerous part of our trip.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I was looking for this and couldn't find it. Is this something I don't yet have access to?
The Divas Only threads require a minimum number of posts. You've almost reached the number required, which is 25.

I think the easiest way to get in a few more posts is to start a Getting To Know You thread. You should be able to see that in Divas Only now. Putting your location or favorite ski region in the thread title makes is easier for other Divas in your area to notice and say "hello."

UtahDesert

Certified Ski Diva
The Divas Only threads require a minimum number of posts. You've almost reached the number required, which is 25.

I think the easiest way to get in a few more posts is to start a Getting To Know You thread. You should be able to see that in Divas Only now. Putting your location or favorite ski region in the thread title makes is easier for other Divas in your area to notice and say "hello."

Thanks for the information! (That's one more.)

newboots

Angel Diva
not that I am planning on it, because I am in NJ (and self quarantining to flatten the curve), but is ANYWHERE in the US open for skiing still or did they all close

I don't know of any in Vermont or NH, although I saw a school bus filling up with Kindergarteners in N. Conway day before yesterday. (Where's that hair-on-fire emoji?) (This will do ->) :frusty:

I do know that the local ski shops immediately sold out of (very expensive) AT equipment - boots, skins, you-name-it after the mountains close. We bought a pair of snowshoes because the many, many snowshoes hanging about all had one of each pair irreparably broken. :frusty:

Salomon

Certified Ski Diva
In Andorra you are not allowed into the mountains. Its a lockdown, not a holiday. Its easy enough to get injured, which is why its forbidden. No, you may not need rescuing, but you may have to visit the clinic etc
The good news is that things are under control . The authorities think next week we will really see results of the policy.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So...since skiing is out, I played pickleball yesterday. I've got to say, it's quite tricky to sanitize the ball each time before sending back over the net.:tongue:.

please, no backlash about social irresponsibility... It's a joke

Attachments

• 5737.jpeg
    5737.jpeg
    226.6 KB · Views: 14

newboots

Angel Diva
So...since skiing is out, I played pickleball yesterday. I've got to say, it's quite tricky to sanitize the ball each time before sending back over the net.:tongue:.

Lovely, very fetching!

UtahDesert

Certified Ski Diva
Just to make it clear: If the next earthquake (we just had a 4.1) knocks our house down, we may end up in our ski condo in Fraser after all.

newboots

Angel Diva
Just to make it clear: If the next earthquake (we just had a 4.1) knocks our house down, we may end up in our ski condo in Fraser after all.

Hoo boy! When it rains it pours? A flat Val pandemic wasn’t enough, but the earthquake gods that this was a good time? Yikes!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I know a lot of people will disagree with me about this, but I don't think skiing in the backcountry skiing is the best idea right now. In fact, San Juan County, Colorado, recently banned all forms of backcountry recreation (including skiing) and other counties are likely to follow suit. With the limited population size of San Juan County and its geographic isolation, medical, emergency and search and rescue resources say they could easily be overwhelmed.

I wrote about this (and a lot of other stuff) in a new blog post I put up this morning, The Skier's Guide to Surviving Quarantine.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I know a lot of people will disagree with me about this, but I don't think skiing in the backcountry skiing is the best idea right now. In fact, San Juan County, Colorado, recently banned all forms of backcountry recreation (including skiing) and other counties are likely to follow suit. With the limited population size of San Juan County and its geographic isolation, medical, emergency and search and rescue resources say they could easily be overwhelmed.

I wrote about this (and a lot of other stuff) in a new blog post I put up this morning, The Skier's Guide to Surviving Quarantine.

I can go both ways on this depending on one’s experience level etc. I do certainly think if a location or mountain is asking people to stay out, then that needs to be respected. If people are recreating safely in areas where this is still allowed (there are plenty of mountains in the northeast still specifying that they are fine with uphill traffic) then I’m okay with that too as long as people are making smart choices with snow conditions, have the correct gear, and are staying within their own abilities.

Honestly I would have been at Wachusett this past weekend if it was warmer. Since it wasn’t, and I saw first hand video of the very firm conditions, I decided it wasn’t worth it. However, they are local in MA and I’ve confirmed they are okay with uphill traffic still. It’s also not exactly extreme terrain or “backcountry” so I’m hopeful that anyone recreating there is not going beyond their ability level on terrain where they are likely to get themselves in any trouble.

Jilly

Staff member
Well the Quebec Ski Association has decided that all ski areas must close for the season. That's it, that's all....

I going to find my bike....

elemmac

Angel Diva
I can go both ways on this depending on one’s experience level etc. I do certainly think if a location or mountain is asking people to stay out, then that needs to be respected. If people are recreating safely in areas where this is still allowed (there are plenty of mountains in the northeast still specifying that they are fine with uphill traffic) then I’m okay with that too as long as people are making smart choices with snow conditions, have the correct gear, and are staying within their own abilities.

I completely agree with this. I think there are ways to safely recreate on skis, people just need to be smart about it. Quoted from The Ski Diva's blog: From Steve Wilson, Alpine Rescue Team: “While we will still respond, we’ll still rescue them — it’s not with the same resources that we would use under normal circumstances. So they ought to dial back the risks that they take and places that they go with that in mind.

While some people probably cannot be trusted to make smart decisions and dial back risks, there are a lot of people that can be. That means thinking about how you're affecting any community you're going to (whether that's 5 minutes down the road or 30 minutes)...and planning to minimize that impact. It's taking a "leave no trace" mentality to a whole 'nother level.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna