• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Introducing the kids to skiing, 45 and post rain

Ski Luvr

Certified Ski Diva
My kids have their first ski lesson tomorrow. I just checked the weather report for the area and it looks like it will have just rained (it shouldn't be raining at the time of our lesson, but who knows) and the temperature should be around 45 degrees.

Will these conditions hinder my kids in any way? Should I reschedule the lessons? I'm very worried about my son and his cautious nature. I want his introduction to skiing to be fun, fun, fun. If he thinks it's dangerous in any way he won't even give it a shot.

I remember rain on the mountain not being a good thing, but I think it was because of the ice. If it's 45, it shouldn't be icy, no? It's been so long for me!

He's 6 and we'll be skiing in CT.

Jilly

Staff member
Stay with it. At 45 deg, there won't be any ice. Be carefull with clothes - not too much. 45 is quite warm, so forget the neck tubes, scarfs etc. Make sure that mitts or gloves and pants are waterproof. They are going to be wet with that temp. Have a change of clothes ready when everyone is done skiing. Notice I didn't say after the lesson. Make sure they ski some more, then head home. Also don't let them get too tired. Cranky kids are not a pleasant thing for the drive home!!

Ski Luvr

Certified Ski Diva
Jilly, where would I be without you? You've been so helpful! Thank you!

We'll be sure to get the kids skiing after the lesson. That's something I didn't even consider. At first I was thinking we would go home after the lesson, but I can imagine the importance of getting them skiing without an instructor.

I also never would have thought about taking a spare outfit. I'm off to add that to our bags now! I just finished loading the car up with our skis, boots and poles.

Tomorrow, I can change my name!

Jilly

Staff member
I teach kids skiing, so experience is great. And as a Mom you should of thought about the clothes! :laugh: And get them skiing with you. You'll be able to see the progression and whether this was a good thing or not. Also talk to the instructor when the lesson is done to find out where they have been skiing. If there is problem with your kids and the instructors, let the school know!

I took my 4 kids skiing and riding in light rain and warm temps yesterday (ages 11, 12, 13, and 14). I was worried about how it would go as we were driving to the hill, but we all had a blast. While our goggles fogged up, and we were wet on the outside, we stayed dry on the inside and the snow was super carveable. The kids definately did fewer runs than they would have in other conditions, but 3 of them were out for 1 1/2 hours and the other for 2 hours, so I thought it was a good day, especially since it was a first day out for 2 of the kids.

Have fun, keep your goals for the day reasonable, follow Jilly's good advice, and you'll have a great day! We'll be heading back on Sunday when I expect the conditions to be more packed down and fast (think frozen granular) given the rain expected tomorrow and the cold temps returning tomorrow night.

Also, each of my kids takes a little candy in a bag that's stored in his or her parka and even at their ages, they really like that for a quick pick me up on the hill. Things like Swedish fish, gummy worms, peach rings, licorice, stuff like that.

Ski Luvr

Certified Ski Diva
Oh Jilly, you outed me! I would have been perfectly happy to have the kids go nudie after skiing. Just kidding! I figured they'd wear their base layer home. That's what I always did. But, I do think the kids would be more comfortable in regular clothes after a fun afternoon on the slopes.

SNWL OMG Candy! I love it! The kids will want to go skiing just to get candy alone. I think I'll stick some sweedish fish in my jacket for good measure. -- I'm so glad that the rain and warm temperatures didn't hold you guys back.

Well we're off in just a few hours!!

Ski Luvr

Certified Ski Diva
Jilly! It was amazing! We all had SO much fun. I was so worried about the kids not liking skiing and they LOVED it! They had amazing instructors. The kids instructors were teenagers and they loved having the attention of some grown up kids. My dh and I shared a "grown up" instructor and it was great! All it took was a couple minutes with the instructor and everything came back to me. I'm SO excited to go back. I hear we may get hit with some snow on Monday. I'm already planning on going back. :D

Thanks for all your help through all of this Jilly! We had a great time and felt really prepared!

It was amazing! We all had SO much fun. I was so worried about the kids not liking skiing and they LOVED it!

Congratulations! I am really happy for you and your kids. Some days are great, others not so great, but any day out on snow is a good day in my book! We're heading back to our local hill tomorrow with our 4 kids for (hopefully) one of those great days!

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also, each of my kids takes a little candy in a bag that's stored in his or her parka and even at their ages, they really like that for a quick pick me up on the hill. Things like Swedish fish, gummy worms, peach rings, licorice, stuff like that.

Gotta love candy. I've been known to keep some with me in a ziplock and I never ski without an apple in my pocket!

ski chick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So glad to hear the kids enjoyed their day! We went on the 26th and had our best day out ever- no crowds, great conditions, and sun. Ours are 12, 10, and 6. I always pack a bag of M&M's in my pocket and maybe a granola bar in theirs. And... I always pack a snack bag JUST for the ride home (usually about an hour). On ski days they're ravenous and devour everything I pack for lunch.

Congratulations LTNS! You're all on the snow! I'm so glad the lessons were great. Having the right instructor means everything. And Ski Diva is right- kids loving skiing does mean more time for Mom on the snow too.

Ski Luvr

Certified Ski Diva
SNWL- I hope you guys are having an excellent time today!!

num- my dh has skied 3 times prior to today. It's hard for him because he's totally new to skis. I'm no expert, but a better skier than he :laugh: . I think it kills him to see me go down the mountain w/o struggling while he struggles. Life's too short though! OMG, I just realized I should put some candy in HIS pocket! He'd be much happier!!

Thanks Ski Chick and Ski Diva.

Guess what girls? We're going back on the 1st! Talk about starting the year off right!!

Congrats on all of the WONDERFUL skiing you will be having the rest of your life! Kids loving skiing is FABULOUS!!!!! :D

SNWL- I hope you guys are having an excellent time today!! OMG, I just realized I should put some candy in HIS pocket! He'd be much happier!! Guess what girls? We're going back on the 1st! Talk about starting the year off right!!

Yup, a small ziploc bag with candy in each kids' pocket (they make up the candy bags that morning or the night before). We had fun skiing yesterday and are going back tomorrow too! Fresh snow! Woo hoo~

:thumbsup:

Ski Luvr

Certified Ski Diva
Yay! Another successful day today!! The kids were in a 2 hour program at Mohawk today and my dd graduated to the chair lift! She went down her first real mountain trail today. My ds is going to perfect his wedge before moving on. I bet all he needs is one more session of practice before he graduates to the chair lift.

I'm SO glad that I didn't try to teach them myself. Props to this thread: First Time Skier Information

I can't resist sharing my mini ski dude and diva, so here they are on their first day:

skiers2.jpg

(no, I did not pose them this way :rolleyes: )

Edited to add: I guess it's official, I really need to change my username now!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
OMG are those the most ADORABLE KIDS EVER???!!!!
I NEED GRANDKIDS!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna