• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Inspiration for skiers over 50, or 60, or 70+

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
True. I'm sure they will do something custom. BTW, I ordered XS so will see how the sizing is. Can always wear sports bra underneath if armholes too big.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Haven't had a chance to watch this yet, but clearly good for inspiration for older skiers or skiers of any age planning to ski well past retirement age. This documentary film, called The Fit Generation, profiles folks who ski in British Columbia. Reminds me of the Wild Olde Bunch at Alta because that group has the same age range.

https://www.thefitgeneration.ca
Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 2.49.14 PM.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Feb. 25, Wasau Daily Herald
These sisters are over 80 and still bring it on the Granite Peak slopes
https://www.wausaudailyherald.com/s...-s-embrace-thrill-downhill-skiing/4496960001/
"RIB MOUNTAIN - The sisters sat at the small table in the main chalet at Granite Peak Ski Area, chattering and smiling and laughing after hours of swooshing down the slopes.

Kay Kuester Doran of Antigo is 85 years old and her younger sister, Mary-Beth Kuester of Clintonville, is 82. Kay's late husband, Roger Doran, taught them both how to ski on Rib Mountain in the mid-1950s, back when tow ropes pulled skiers up the slope and the sisters used Army surplus equipment. They fell in love with the sport.

The nearly 70 years that have passed have done nothing to dilute their passion for the sport. On Monday, they enjoyed the mild weather, each other's company and that special thrilling buzz outdoor adventure provides.
. . .

They are so busy that they had been on a skiing hiatus for a few years. Granite Peak offers "super senior" ski passes, which means people over age 80 can ski for free, and the sisters decided they should take advantage of that offer.

"And the other thing is the pandemic," Mary-Beth said. "It's outside, and I said, 'You know, we should ski.'"

They don't expect to quit anytime soon, either. "Next year we've got three western trips planned," Mary-Beth said.

"They blow away all the stereotypes of older women," Rabb said."

marzNC

Angel Diva
This may be posted earlier in this thread, but lately I've been thinking about the advice at the end. Phil Capy was 87 when the video was released five years ago. He was still an active member of Big Sky Ski Patrol. The advice he mentioned that he's heard from an old man when he was a younger man was to keep making friends with younger people. The reality for seniors is that friends in the same age bracket may not stay as active as past decades.

ddskis

Certified Ski Diva
I loved that story about the skiing sisters!! So great! Haven’t skied w/my sis in awhile and I miss that! Would love to do that when we’re in our 80s- inspiration!

newboots

Angel Diva
An older man came into our shop yesterday. He was inquiring about getting his skis tuned and bindings tested. The conversation was a little halting due to his hearing impairment.

As I filled out the work order, I learned he is 80 and skis the whole mountain! Proud of it, as he should be. And a cheerful and friendly customer, as well!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
My personal favorite is Harold Biesaw, Sugarloaf ski school. A few years ago, at the age of 85, he had mitral valve surgery in the fall, was skiing before the end of the season. All instructors wear name tags that indicate the year they started skiing at Sugarloaf. His tag says, “Sugarloafer since 1951.” 1951, people. Sure hope he’s still out there...

This is very inspiring. I took up skiing in 2005 at age 45, the same year that I started growing a big uterine fibroid that was removed sugically in 2008, leaving me without ab muscles. Had another surgery in 2010 to correct that but by 2011, my ski day #s dropped precipitously because my older daughter started college and I ramped up my work to make the $ to get her through. By 2015 I had 2 kids in college and up my work ramp went. So this ski now work later became work now ski later for a solid decade. While I did get some days out there and my skiing improved, I feel like I've been on a hamster wheel when it comes to skiing and haven't had the days on snow or the free head space to ski like I want to ski. My younger daughter just completed her degree in December 2020. So now, at age 62, I will be back to ski now work later with 3 ski trips planned for 2022 (the first is a ski clinic to get the season going right) and many mid-week and Sundays at my local hill. Talk about a late reboot! Which is why this thread is so inspiring and makes me feel like I haven't lost my oppotunity to be a strong all mountain skier and that I have years to come on the hill (I hope).

brooksnow

Angel Diva
My personal favorite is Harold Biesaw, Sugarloaf ski school. A few years ago, at the age of 85, he had mitral valve surgery in the fall, was skiing before the end of the season. All instructors wear name tags that indicate the year they started skiing at Sugarloaf. His tag says, “Sugarloafer since 1951.” 1951, people. Sure hope he’s still out there...
I can report that Harold is back this season, at 93!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Folks who have skied Alta before the detachable chairs were installed are likely to know the name Junior Bounous. He's still skiing complex terrain in his 90s.

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 8.57.33 AM.png

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna