• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Inbounds Avalanche at Palisades Tahoe

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
You would hope that they blew the heck out of it but as @snoWYmonkey said , you can mitigate the danger but you can't eliminate it. A tragedy all round and I'm sure there will be lots of questions asked.
Yeah more info will come out in the next few days. it's a dangerous job and I have a tremendous respect for ski patrollers.

MissySki

Angel Diva
@TrixieRuby , the regional / local avalanche forecast center forecasted avalanche conditions as "considerable" today. Without going into the weeds, an avalanche forecast is based on what is known about the snowpack (based on observations, digging snow pits, etc) and past and current weather, and the forecast is also based on aspect and elevation. Backcountry travelers use this information to determine what risk they are willing to take. As in life, some people are more risk taking/averse than others.

Resorts tend to know what areas and slopes are prone to sliding, and use a variety of methods to mitigate avalanches - handheld ammunitions, remote triggers, ski cut - at various locations. This is a regular practice on storm days.

I didn't read today's avalanche forecast, but I'll add an anecdote that on 1/1, I observed surface hoar thanks to a friend's kid noticing how "pretty" the snow was. Since then there has been an additional ~30" of snowfall and really high winds. The overall snowpack is not deep. I am not sure if it's what got buried and turned into an unstable layer, but if someone told me it was the surface hoar I saw, I wouldn't be surprised.

I actually pulled up today's forecast: https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.org/forecasts/#/central-sierra-nevada (you might have to click to 1/10 if it's no longer "today")

It does seem like what I observed on 1/1 was the weak layer.

ETA: I am not in the ski industry or a forecaster. I'm merely more observant and into this stuff than the average duck.
When I did my AIARE 1 class on Mount Washington we found surface hoar in a big pit we dug. And reported it to the avalanche center observations that day. It IS very pretty and incredible to touch and observe how it does not at all adhere to itself or any other snow around it. It’s all loose and slippery. Very cool to see, but very scary to see if one were in real avalanche terrain as well.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Obviously I'm not a Palisades skier but after a particularly "Twitchy" season here a couple of years ago which resulted in several inbounds slides I now always wear a beacon. My theory is if you've got one you might as well wear it.
Twitchy great description. Stay safe everyone.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I am curious if they said if any/all of the buried folks were wearing beacons. I imagine a bunch of the skiers there wear them and then they would also go into search mode in this type of situation if they were not impacted. Also good/lucky if something stays above ground so you get spotted that way. Ugh it is just so anxiety inducing to think about all around.

I saw a clip on Reddit of the avalanche starting, from someone on the chairlift. It cuts out pretty quickly, but I was stunned at how very slowly it looked like everything was moving. But it was also a LOT of area moving. Terrifying, and I’m glad they didn’t show more than a couple of seconds of the movement.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
We were just talking about the Recco tabs on our jackets. Other than a beacon, are these searched as a matter of practice? I read that they have only helped one or two skiers-an article I find hard to believe!

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We were just talking about the Recco tabs on our jackets. Other than a beacon, are these searched as a matter of practice? I read that they have only helped one or two skiers-an article I find hard to believe!
I do not know the data, but given how relatively rare in bounds slides are, which would be the main and possibly only beneficiaries of the system and the sincere belief that most BC users have transceivers and no recreational users have a way to locate a recco tabs, I can fully believe it.

Makes more sense in europe where slides between runs happen more often, and patrol likely has the ability to detect the tags.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
I do not know the data, but given how relatively rare in bounds slides are, which would be the main and possibly only beneficiaries of the system and the sincere belief that most BC users have transceivers and no recreational users have a way to locate a recco tabs, I can fully believe it.

Makes more sense in europe where slides between runs happen more often, and patrol likely has the ability to detect the tags.
That makes sense. My family wears an avalanche backpack in JH….

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That makes sense. My family wears an avalanche backpack in JH….
Do you mean a self inflating one? In bounds? Have not seen many skiers do that because of the added weight. Or do you mean a pack with shovel and probe? I assume that they also have transceivers on at all times then?

My transceiver comes on sometimes when skiing in bounds on high risk days, but never a pack in bounds as the optics would be odd for an instructor.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here is a list of all the resorts / SAR/ that have detectors:
At Mammoth, I'm assuming its beacon first b/c all patrollers have one (who ever is on first on scene) and the Recco detector would have to be brought to the site. But yes, it is used in searches.

California Highway Patrol recently obtained a RECCO SAR Helicopter Detector system, only one of 9 in the US. It's not just for winter, but SAR year round.

I was actually surprised to see small Southern California resorts on the detector list, Mt. High and Mount Waterman, but there have been tragic avalanches just out of bounds of those ski areas as well.

Last edited:

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you @WaterGirl

Only one in Japan!

Transceivers still the way to go if one can afford them and is on the higher end of risky line choices where avalanches are concerned. At least in my decision making algorithm.

Then again, it seems that in a flyover situation the recco may be the better way to go, so probably both would be good.

Our uniforms are not recco equipped. Have thought in the past of buying a recco aftermarket for BC touring purposes.

Last edited:

kkclimb

Certified Ski Diva
The instructors I've worked with more than once in the last decade all wear a beacon in-bounds. Now that I ski 75%+ off-piste on steeper terrain, they all have mentioned getting a beacon. Found a small, light, and recommended one over the summer. It will get used this winter at big mountains.

My primary ski buddy (Bill) has had a beacon for several years, and he wears it. The other got one a year or two ago but hasn't really made use of it much yet. I expect he will this season after his trip to Japan.
Which beacon was recommended that you purchased?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga