• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

In defense of snowboarders

SueNJ

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
abc, I can't remember if I've had to share (for example) a quad with 3 other snowboarders, but my biggest 2 things are (a) please keep your board off of my skis, and (b) which way are you going when we get off the lift? I've never had any real problems. I try to get off the chair and ski away fast, so even if one of the others falls, I've avoided getting caught up in the scramble.

IntheClouds

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I generally like everyone on the mountain. I've come to the conclusion that rude is rude regardless of equipment. Out of control is out of control regardless of equipment. Thoughful placement of parks & trails to get there makes a huge difference. Benches near the lift off load are good things for everyone. Skiers being aware of snowboarders blind spots is a good thing. People don't use their voices enough on crowded slopes or when overtaking, as in , "behind you" to a boarder or "on your left" to a skier. Saying thank you or thanks is good. Noticing which part of what trails can be a problem for out of contollness & collisions is important.

The only thing I do not get - why would anyone lay in the middle of a trail, when not injured, for 5 or more minutes (actually, any longer than it takes to get up)is beyond me. This is simply not safe. Slopes are crowded & there are lots of unskilled skiers/boarders out there that don't need a target/obstacle to hit/avoid. Get up ! Get safe ! Be considerate of the hazard to self & others. Take lessons to improve. I would never lay down on a trail & not get up. Self preservation here !

IntheClouds

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Am I the only one who's not having trouble with sharing a chair with boarders? ;-)

You are not. I have no problems. My only consideration is when with my 10 yr old. I try to be between him & the other 2 boarders for the simple fact that I cannot count on everyone not to be bouncing the board around & I'd hate to see my son fall off the lift. But I watch out for other things that may cause him to fall off also, like other bouncy kids, drunks/dopers, people lacking common sense. The basic parnoia I have combined w/fear of heights & lift falls. :becky:

lil mountain girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ya know, I've come to the conclusion that's it not the attitudes or the lack of ettiquette, etc. I have a handful of boarder friends that are extremely competent and great to ride with. I'm sure that a good portion of them have decent ethics and pay attention to what's going on around them. I run into extremely rude and dangerous skiers all the time.

The problem that I have with snowboarders is that they don't take the limitations of their gear seriously. A snowboard is not as mobile as a pair of skis - period. I've decided that NOTHING drives me more crazy than a boarder stopping, sitting down, etc on a traverse or postholing a traverse/skintrack. There's just some places that they shouldn't be at certain times. One of them stopped on a very narrow part of a busy traverse yesterday, accomplishing several incredibly annoying things. First, he completely killed all momentum that anyone had behind him. Second, he completely blocked the traverse for a good amount of time while he took off his board. Third, he post-holed the traverse so it was a PITA for everyone else behind him. Some skiers did a helluva lot of work putting in the traverse that morning (breaking trail in deep powder), and I believe 100% that the snowboarders should have to put in the same amount of work to put in their own boot pack trail for their own benefit, NOT just busting up the ski track by tromping all over it. It drives me NUTS in the backcountry when I see boot packers postholing right up a skin track (especially if it's one that my party put in :mad2: ). They not only totally screw up the track for any skiers behind them, but it just smacks of self-entitlement.

*Big breath*

OK, sorry about the rant. It just got me thinking and stewing.....

as a former snowboarder (10 years of riding, 5 of which were in the backcountry) turned skier, i feel i should imput:

tradygirl, i totally understand and agree with your gripes with the limitations of boards as manuverable gear -- the main reason i learned how to ski 3 years ago -- BUT not all snowboarders posthole!!

personally, as a backcountry snowboarder, i cursed and swore at the RIDERS AND SKIERS who both would ruin skin tracks -- especially those close to lift accessed touring.

the truth is that there are morons out there . . .
and most of them are morons because they are either ignorant (most of the time) or arogant (the rest of the time!)of "skier/rider/backcountry/skihill ethics of sorts!!!

the good news is that there are some wonderful folks out there!!!
some are on skis, tele, or boards, and most are respectful good folks!

****ALSO SOMETHING THAT WAS MISSED ENTIRELY:

snowboarding is one of the main reasons why skiing has made a such an extraordinary comeback in popular snow culture!!!!

snowboarding revolutionized skiing as we know it now:

think shaped skis!!!

fat skis!!!

cool graphics!!!

all thanks to those inspiring "crazy young snowboarders" who helped us all remember:

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU RIDE, AS LONG AS YOUR SMILING!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga