• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

I'm officially a skipper now!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My Hobie Cat is now slowly rotting away in our yard. The tramp seating of the 16 footer killed hubby's back, so I single-handed her for a couple of years, then the couple I shared a dock with moved, so my on-the-lake hook-up disappeared. Since I can't tow her in and raise the mast by myself, that was the end of that. I miss sailing. :cry:

Skisailor

Angel Diva
My Hobie Cat is now slowly rotting away in our yard. The tramp seating of the 16 footer killed hubby's back, so I single-handed her for a couple of years, then the couple I shared a dock with moved, so my on-the-lake hook-up disappeared. Since I can't tow her in and raise the mast by myself, that was the end of that. I miss sailing. :cry:

Bummer! Can you sell it and buy something a little smaller that you can set up yourself? Like maybe a Vanguard 15 - or something like that? Ok, it might not scream like a Hobie, but there's still lots of fun to be had.

Or what about a club where the boats are already there and you can have use of the club fleet?

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Ok . . . ok. I'm officially tired of seeing the thread about petite golfers on top of the thread about sailing.

Bump.

<wink>

:smile:

Actually - how's it going Deannatoby??!!

Jenny

Angel Diva
We went sailing Saturday! It was cold, and gray, and windy, with 3-5' waves on the big lake and it was great!

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Woo hoo! Sounds intense! I love that kind of sailing. :smile:

I had my boat out on Saturday as well! :smile: Beautiful 15-20 knot southerly made for a great reach across the bay and back just north of the Bay Bridges.

Then crabs and beer after.

Perfect day!

Jilly

Staff member
A Hobie just about ran down our dragon boat last night. Steer person wasn't sure where the Hobie was going. He missed us.

Tonight was club races at the Yacht club. We were out for an extra DB practice and could see them down the Bay. We got to the beers before them!!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Well that adds an extra level of excitement, doesn't it, Jilly?

I was actually surprised I didn't get queasy because of the wave size, and I didn't mind the gray because it's a lot better than being hot and sweaty. And as a bonus, I didn't need sunscreen. No ray could have possibly made it through my fleece and raincoat.

Jilly

Staff member
Races are held every Wednesday night. Different classes. Then they have a BBQ supper. We were already sitting down for supper when I saw the first of the boats coming in.

For real racing CORK is in Kingston. Canadian Olympic Regatta - Kingston. All olympic class boats. Think it was last weekend.

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Going well. I've taken the J22 out a few times and am getting pretty pleased with getting to the mooring under wind power. That really gave me the heebie jeebies for a while. I imagined sailing the ship right into the side of a big expensive beauty. I'm still amazed at how precisely the ship steers and can be controlled. Shifting winds still give me the slip, though. Don't know if it's the wind or the skipper making sails luff!

Took a spinnaker class, very intimidating! Then got to be in another spin class 3 weeks later courtesy of the teacher for extra practice, no $. Very generous! I certainly am not going to be doing any spinnaker work with the family, but I'd love to take the people in my class out for some practice. The day before the second lesson we had Ladies' Sailing and I was able to sail with a racer in her J22 with her spinnaker up. I did the bow work with the pole, "the monkey on the bow" as she aptly calls it. It was the first time I'd done spinnaker since the first class two weeks before and a perfect review before the second class the day after. Need a much more practice with the spin sheet/guy and the steering aspect! That's going to take a loooooooong time to learn, I can tell.

For that second spinnaker class we actually had northerly winds in the morning so we could sail the spin out of the harbor, and then southerly winds in the afternoon so we could ride back into the harbor. Perfect!

Was going to take the J22 out today, but lightning was in the forecast so I cancelled. Naturally, the sun came out full and strong with blue sky at the same time the lightning had been in the forecast. Naturally.

Anyway, it's going well. I haven't had it out in strong winds, just nice light winds, which is good. Almost boring in a way, but good!

This weekend is the club regatta and I'm volunteering for the race. I'll be on a mark boat. It's been a busy year for our club. We hosted the Jr. Olympics and the Maine State Opti Championships (today and yesterday), but this is the first time I've volunteered. I think some people are about volunteered out!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
WHOA - be CAREFUL OUT THERE. Positive ID great white shark sighted last weekend @ Boothbay, feasting on a whale carcass (videos widely shown on local tv). Also, more sharks reported>seen this past summer in mid-coast region than in recent years. :eek: Fishermen stating that sharks are taking their catches right of their lines!

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, it's quite the news here. They say the slight rise in ocean temps are allowing the sharks to come farther north. There was a reported sighting a couple of weeks ago farther south off Wells, too, but was never officially confirmed. Damarsicove Island is said to be "several miles offshore" on the news report, but I see it right there by the harbor every time I go out. I guess it is "several" miles, but it's just right there close by every time we sail. Definitely a quick trip to it! If anybody wants to see the video taken by the lobstermen:

https://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/08/05/watch-great-white-shark-seen-near-boothbay-harbor-maine/

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had to look at this thread finally. I used to sail (crew) on a Hobie 18'. I sort of miss it, it is fun, but like volklgirl, not something I would do myself.
It's shark week on the Discovery channel. Scary-fun viewing.

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This weekend in the Boothbay Shipyard Cup race for all the BIIIIIIIIIIIIG sailing yachts. The biggest entry this year is the Marie at 180' and her sails are HUGE. You can see her masts sticking up above the housetops in the distance wherever she's parked. Crew has been practicing all week and the defender, Scheherazade, has been here, too. This is on my calendar for next year to try to hitch a ride with somebody who's going out to the open water to watch. Today is rainy for the first day, but tomorrow looks to be beautiful! I found it hard to believe that this kind of racing happens here. I know I don't fully understand Boothbay's sailing history, but I just generally assume the big things happens someplace other than where I live. For this race I think that shark had better watch out!

https://www.shipyardcup.com

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
To watch the race from out on the water would be awesome good fun!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Wow, 180' must be huge! One of the boats that we would occasionally "race" with was 68' and that thing seemed gigantic. Especially when it went by you and sucked all the wind from your sails. We called it Dark Star.

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We're working on schmoozing connections for next year to watch from the water. The 180' boat came in second and the defending champion won again. The 180' boat is owned by one of our generous seasonal residents and the champion was built by the local yacht builders, Hodgdon Yachts, so it was a good day for the hometown! Here are a couple of pics:

Bringing in the spinnaker on the winner, the Scheherazade, 155'. The spin has a picture of a lady with flowing hair. Wish I had a picture of it!

130810-11.jpg

The 180' Marie, and she looks like she's pretty close to land to me! Imagine that heeling on her. I did actually get to ride her last weekend, and when she heels it's pretty amazing.

130810-8.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna