• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

If you're thinking a fleece gaiter is going to do the trick, think again.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have purchased a couple of these to use with facemasks. It was recommended by a schoolteacher who feels it gives her a little more breathing room. I have yet to adequately experiment with it but it does at least have little hooks on each side to attach to something on a face mask. This may be the year of extreme creativity to be able to go out but remain safe! And such things do not play to my skills or my arthritic fingers!
Got a link? I want some of those.

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’ve also been struggling with masks here lately, and really wondering what I’m going to do if I’m able to head west this winter to ski. Nothing fits my itty bitty face well. Until today!! We were in home depot, and a 2 pack of kids masks were displayed in the aisle for $5. So I grabbed them. Tried on at home and low and behold they fit perfectly!! So, as for skiing, where I do use a fleece gaiter or whatever, I now have a solution to wear the kids mask under my gaiter if this will be required.
As for working here in the Florida keys outdoors in the heat and humidity, I have now cut ear holes in my buffs So they stay put, purchased a few buffs with ears holes, and use the disposable blue masks for quick errands. These “surgical” masks are very large on me. I tie the elastic to keep it on my face, which then creates a gap at my cheeks, and tends to rid up into my eyes. Oh the struggles of having a small head!! Ugh!! So grateful to have found a solution for now. :smile:

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Got a link? I want some of those.

@liquidfeet - I looked on Amazon and bought them there. There are bunches of different sizes and shapes. Best to take a look your self. I am sure if I looked carefully I could find something locally. But this was a moment of convenience and social distancing so I didn’t have to hover in a store for too long.

Jilly

Staff member
I've bought the North 45 mask as has @kiki. I need to get my new goggles organized before I can see how it works.

The silicon 3D insert is something I'm interested in. That's for everyday use with my cloth masks.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’ve also been struggling with masks here lately, and really wondering what I’m going to do if I’m able to head west this winter to ski. Nothing fits my itty bitty face well. Until today!! We were in home depot, and a 2 pack of kids masks were displayed in the aisle for $5. So I grabbed them. Tried on at home and low and behold they fit perfectly!! So, as for skiing, where I do use a fleece gaiter or whatever, I now have a solution to wear the kids mask under my gaiter if this will be required.
As for working here in the Florida keys outdoors in the heat and humidity, I have now cut ear holes in my buffs So they stay put, purchased a few buffs with ears holes, and use the disposable blue masks for quick errands. These “surgical” masks are very large on me. I tie the elastic to keep it on my face, which then creates a gap at my cheeks, and tends to rid up into my eyes. Oh the struggles of having a small head!! Ugh!! So grateful to have found a solution for now. :smile:

I am very sympathetic! I have a very small face and a small head. The UPF 50 buff I got for sailing ended up being a teen size. I gave the regular adult one out to a crew member on my boat. A friend who has a sewing machine just runs a seam up the back of the ones that are too big. 1600618718500.jpg

Jilly

Staff member

Costco here had children sized disposables.....If not, I'm sure Amazon has them. Our kids have to wear masks on the bus to get to school as well as the older ones during the day.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I am very sympathetic! I have a very small face and a small head. The UPF 50 buff I got for sailing ended up being a teen size. I gave the regular adult one out to a crew member on my boat. A friend who has a sewing machine just runs a seam up the back of the ones that are too big. View attachment 13644
Can you breathe in that neck gator? what is the fabric? I like it but wonder if I would be drooling with nose running in something that snug?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Recently had procedure (colonoscopy) and was given one of those blue disposable masks to wear.... Way too loose - it barely stayed on. My triple layer cloth masks fit much better.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Can you breathe in that neck gator? what is the fabric? I like it but wonder if I would be drooling with nose running in something that snug?

I can breathe in it. This was made in California and has been used by lots of sailors for sun protection for years. I am OK sailing with it. I still don’t love running with anything against my face, however. That was one of the reasons to grab the silicone thing to try and pull the mask away from my face. I also would only wear it doubled up if I were going to be in closer proximity to people not part of my COVID-19 group.

I have totally wondered how things are going to go with cold winter runny noses! I have the feeling I may be carrying multiple masks.

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can breathe in it. This was made in California and has been used by lots of sailors for sun protection for years. I am OK sailing with it. I still don’t love running with anything against my face, however. That was one of the reasons to grab the silicone thing to try and pull the mask away from my face. I also would only wear it doubled up if I were going to be in closer proximity to people not part of my COVID-19 group.

I have totally wondered how things are going to go with cold winter runny noses! I have the feeling I may be carrying multiple masks.
I was wondering the same thing... wear my buff with ear holes under fleece gaiter, and rotate the buff when too wet...eeeegggghhh! Snots now in my hair. Ahahaha

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What I want is a breathable mask like an Airhole or my Hot Chillys bandanna, but with a fabric flap / filter that can be flipped up and velcroed in place on all sides while in the lift line.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't know about this Rafi Nova one. Looking at her is supposed to be good because the smile shows, but it leaves me feeling odd. What is that feeling? Am I alone in having this reaction?
DSC_7484copy_590x.jpg

MissySki

Angel Diva
Haha that is kind of creepy, but I also really miss seeing people's smiles!! I find that I feel more removed from an individual (not just physically distant) when I can't see their mouths when they're talking to me. There is some connection lost, and I've especially noticed that at doctor appointments where it can be a little disconcerting. I imagine this would be so nice for teachers of young students etc.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Haha that is kind of creepy, but I also really miss seeing people's smiles!! I find that I feel more removed from an individual (not just physically distant) when I can't see their mouths when they're talking to me. There is some connection lost, and I've especially noticed that at doctor appointments where it can be a little disconcerting. I imagine this would be so nice for teachers of young students etc.

Creepy was going to be my response until I saw yours!

newboots

Angel Diva
Like so many things in this pandemic, people need to get used to it. We all look pretty peculiar just wearing the regular masks, too. And standing 6 feet apart having a conversation. And taking turns stepping into the post office lobby. Sigh. I can't seem to get used to not cuddling my granddaughter. :nono:

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't know about this Rafi Nova one. Looking at her is supposed to be good because the smile shows, but it leaves me feeling odd. What is that feeling? Am I alone in having this reaction?
DSC_7484copy_590x.jpg
I know they are kinda creepy, but greatly appreciated by those that are deaf. We have an employee at our local Publix who wears one. He is deaf, and I always smile or say hello when we have eye contact, but with any other mask, he doesn’t see our communications( although I’m sure he can see my smile in my eyes). Imagine how much more isolated those that are deaf must be feeling During these times.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna