• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: If money were no object, where would you ski?

Indianaskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Obviously I don't live near a mountain. I'm two hours from our ski area here and for Indiana, it's a nice place, well maintained and somehow they can keep more snow than most people can imagine. Even though it's only large hills I am glad we at least have that.
I would love to go to Alaska, not only to ski, but to see and do other things, so an extended visit would be my dream. Part of that trip I would love to heli ski. Just once I'd love the freedom of knowing that there is nobody right behind me, where I could make any turn I choose, safely and without fear of someone ripping behind me. Also I would love to go to Banff. I can dream, but I'm not expecting those two dreams to come true, except the Alaska trip, minus heli skiing. I'd love that too. My brother lives in OR, so I can visit him and go to Mt. Hood or other areas there. When my daughter lived in Tahoe I could stay with her and practically fall out of bed and be at Heavenly. I miss that, but I'd love having her close to home again. The people in our family who ski have been talking about a trip together sometime. That would be fun for all of us, so we'll see if that comes to pass one day.

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
First I'd learn how to ski deep powder (this may take some time. I have all the money/time in the world so no problem)

Then I would do heli-skiing in Canada, Utah and wherever else the fancy takes me.

Then I'd throw in a few trips to Niseko, Argentina, Alaska and other random places.

Then I would use some of my vast cash reserves to buy a VERY expensive apartment in Val d'Isere and live there for the rest of the season, before travelling to NZ/Australia to ski there during the European summer.

I'd make sure I have spare rooms for any Ski Divas who want free accommodation, I'm a generous squillionaire. Hell I'd even stump up the lift pass and beers.

gr8outdoors

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Would love to explore more of Colorado, Lake Tahoe, Alaska and Salt Lake City resorts. Oh - skiing in the summer in Chile or even Oregon would be fun too!

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Gulmarg. With my own personal ski patrol/guide. A well-maintained helicopter with skilled and suitably qualified pilot might also come in handy. As might a clean supply of water.

Tvan

Angel Diva
Portillo, Chile...no, New Zealand....wait....the Dolomites....or, maybe Solitude...or Banff....no, Whistler...or Hokkaido...

Sheesh. I can't decide.

marzNC

Angel Diva
After the trip report about April Alyeska by @Olesya Chornoguz, Alaska has made it to my bucket list. Made it to Jackson Hole and want to go back in good conditions. But for a short trip (4-5 days of skiing plus travel days), SLC would still be my recommendation for someone who is working and has to use vacation days. Even better if can book flights on Southwest so that could cancel and reschedule with no penalty if the weather doesn't cooperate.

abc

Banned
Even better if can book flights on Southwest so that could cancel and reschedule with no penalty if the weather doesn't cooperate.
Never flown southwest but doubt I will. NNot after seeing what happened to one guy I knew who got stuck at SLC for 5 days!

"cancel and reschedule without penalty"? Only if they have empty seat on that flight you want, which is never the one you need to get back to work after a storm delayed you for a couple of days already!

having suffered a lessor version of that with JetBlue, I now really prefer to pay extra to get a flight from one of the "biggy" instead. They have several flights a day so much better at getting their stuck customers back to work...

altagirl

Staff member
I strongly prefer southwest, personally, based on my experiences with Delta. I'm sure there are plenty of horror stories with any airline though.

But Southwest does get excellent customer service rankings, so maybe it's not just me.

abc

Banned
I strongly prefer southwest, personally, based on my experiences with Delta. I'm sure there are plenty of horror stories with any airline though.!

But Southwest does get excellent customer service rankings, so maybe it's not just me.
I was pretty happy with JetBlue until this year. They left me stranded TWICE in Denver!!!

It's not that they don't try, but there's simply no space on that one and only flight in and out of Denver for the next 3 days!!!

The 3 days wages was far greater than the price difference...

altagirl

Staff member
Yeah, for me with the SW hub being here, it helps too. Delta stranded me at JFK overnight before. And wouldn't pay for a hotel. Ugh.

abc

Banned
Yeah, for me with the SW hub being here, it helps too. Delta stranded me at JFK overnight before. And wouldn't pay for a hotel. Ugh.
Problem is, JFK is already a JetBlue hub! That didn't help at all. Can you imagine if I were flying from one non-hub city to another?

Trouble being, the planes were almost always full or close to full. So when there's a cancellation, weather or mechanical, that whole plane load of people need to be shuffled onto other flights. But if all the flights were operating close to full to begin with, where do they put the people? Well, how about spread them over the next 7 days!

JetBlue did in the end reimbursed me for my hotel and rental car for the additional 3 days. But it wasn't easy. Also, that's just expense. Lost wage was not part of the compensation. It would have cost me less to pay for one night of hotel than to lose 3 days of pay.

Funny we're discussing which airline is cheaper to fly, in a thread titled "if money is no object"...

NZfarmgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would like to take my family on a month long north America ski safari. But for the 2 of us I think skiing the Dolomites in Italy would be nice.

mustski

Angel Diva
I would definitely hit New Zealand, Chile, Japan - places that I have never skied. But I agree with VickiK - I'd take a year and travel the world!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If money were no object? I don't know where,but it would be heli skiing all the way!

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If money were no object I would quit my job tomorrow and move to live in the ski resort. The same resort that I always ski.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm so excited to be going to Whistler next weekend, but I'm now trying to plan one more long weekend trip for the year in late Feb-early March to cash in some points / miles to somewhere I've never skied. I've been eying up Tahoe....but the question is where? Northstar? Heavenly? Or somewhere else?

Teach me, divas!

In all honesty, there are a lot of places I haven't skied. All suggestions welcome! :thumbsup:

Trust me....my home "mountain" is no one's idea of a dream....I live in Cleveland, OH. We ski hills, unless we hike it to PA or NY.

I travel a lot for work, so I have lots of hotel and AMEX points, as well as airline miles to burn. The money being no object part is that I've got points to burn, I can travel to any great ski locale!

So many adventure seekers!!! I'm not sure I'm ready to tackle heli-skiing.....

But thanks for all the great suggestions! Japan and Europe sound so intriguing....but I don't think I can fit in a trip like that this year. Hopefully one day.... Will have to be a little closer to home to fit in about 4-5 day window.

I think SLC and Tahoe are on the short list, but work keeps getting in the way! Was planning for a late Feb trip, but is now looking more like late March, which I hope doesn't limit any choices. Still taking suggestions!
@kit125 : wondering where you ended up going, or if work got in the way completely.

Definitely a different question when money is not the issue, but only 4-5 days are available for a ski trip in Feb or March. At least that has a little more flexibility than trying to plan a trip during school holidays.

SkiBilly

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If money wasn't an issue I would buy up big! I would invest in ski in/out condos or chalets (or as close as possible to) all over the world! What a dream!

In the USA : Colorado, Utah, Montana for a start...don't know which resorts as we haven't skied in US as yet (we plan to begin exploring in our retirement in a few years time).

In Canada, we are very fortunate to have a condo already at Big White, but I would buy a town house at Cedar Ridge in Whistler (great location to village, private hot tub and excellent ski in/out).

In Europe : France, Italy, Austria and Switzerland....have only skied in Zermatt thus far, but many resorts in these countries are on our 'to ski' bucket list.

In Australia: I would also buy a chalet at Mount Hotham so I could ski all year round in both hemispheres...this is hopefully going to be a reality in the next five years rather than a dream.
Here's hoping, haha:ski2:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna